Author Topic: Rockbass?  (Read 9895 times)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
Rockbass?
« on: Jan 17, 2005, 02:02 PM »
Hi everyone,

Have any of you ever caught a rockbass / redeye during the ice fishing season? I once read that rockbass go into a state of dormancy during the winter months and as such are rear catches while ice fishing. Has this been the case for everyone? :-\

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Rockbass?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2005, 03:05 PM »
I haven't caught one on hardwater, but haven't fished for them either. My guess is that they, like most panfish, can be caught through the ice,I've never heard of them going dormant. :)

hali-man

« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2005, 03:10 PM »
Interesting question. The waters I fish hold a lot of rock bass, but I have never seen or heard of anyone catching them through the ice.
Black bass are out of season in most NY waters during the winter, but rock bass shouldn't be. At least I would think. 

???

trapperdirk

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2005, 01:16 PM »
Yeh we catch quite a few of them fishing for walleye and often quite deep as Slipbob mentioned, even right to 40 feet where I chase those big eyes 10 lbs plus . ;) We hate the buggers because they never used to be in our lakes that I fish and we never ever put them back, just have them become sea chicken or fox food but they are edible because when my daughter was younger we had to drag every fish home she caught to eat . :-\ We also pull the occassional smallies from those depths and often they have some heft , but our season is closed at that time of year so they are returned .

TD

Offline krs

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The Pack frustrates me!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2005, 05:33 PM »
I have caught a few while jigging for perch.  A lake I fish is loaded with them but in the winter they are few and far between.  I'm not complaining. :)

hali-man

« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2005, 10:03 PM »
The waters I fish hold a lot of rock bass, but I have never seen or heard of anyone catching them through the ice.

OK! I finally found some today.
Lots of fun, kind of like crappie...

icecold mike

« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2005, 04:23 PM »
 my dad catches rockbass  on silver lake icefishing but why would anyone want them when you could have perch instead

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2005, 04:56 PM »
Interesting question. The waters I fish hold a lot of rock bass, but I have never seen or heard of anyone catching them through the ice.
Black bass are out of season in most NY waters during the winter, but rock bass shouldn't be. At least I would think. 

???
Reading your  line under your post, I think you should add "or a hali chain..." its true!!! ;D

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2005, 01:54 PM »
Thanks for the posts everyone. Good Fishing  :tipup:

Water Wolf     <><   >*)}}}}><

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2005, 08:48 PM »
I have caught a couple rock bass when fishing for bluegill.  Don't catch as many as you do in the summer but they will bite.  I dont fish for them but dont mind catching them.  I wouldn't think they go into a state or dormancy.

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2005, 05:07 PM »
 i fish lake Herriman in vermont and we catch rock bass on our tip-ups all the time

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2005, 09:15 PM »
we catch them here up to 9-11in which is huge for us

there better eating then bluegills me thinks  :tipup:

Offline fishinboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2005, 07:12 PM »
Yeah, I catch them here in Michigan, too.  I have caught them while jigging deep for crappie with minnows.  I'd rather catch crappies, but rock bass are ok to eat, too.
-Ryan

Offline {RPF}Rapala Pike Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "If you can't catch fish, your not using a Rapala"
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2005, 07:20 PM »
There is a lot of rockbass where i fish at in michigan, but i havn't caught one ice fishing, yet ;D

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2005, 06:36 PM »
I'd never eat a rocky!!!  Most of the rock bass I catch here in MN have either growths, boils, or something growing outta them.  I always thought of them as a trash fish and just threw 'em on the ice.  There's one lake I get 'eyes in the winter that we use to get 2 lb rockies w/ consistency.  Just a couple of months ago I found out that the MN state record was only 1lb 14oz.  :pinch: Gonna have to keep the next big one I catch!!!

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2005, 06:49 PM »
ahh leaving fish on the ice...always wondered what kind people did that.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2005, 07:40 PM »
ahh leaving fish on the ice...always wondered what kind people did that.
I only do it 'cuz they're a pain in the neck, and as far as I know they aren't really a forage fish.  Just considered 'em a rough fish, and in MN it's illegal to return rough fish to the water after you catch 'em.

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2005, 09:01 PM »
Not legal to throw a fish back???Its naturally occurring....that gives icefisherman a bad name..

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2005, 09:15 PM »
and in MN it's illegal to return rough fish to the water after you catch 'em.

yeah, that was the case pre-1981. They changed that law in way back 1981.

since then, the MN law has stated "anglers must return any fish back to the water if it will not be utilized"

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2005, 08:42 AM »
Huh, I've always been told to either throw 'em on the ice or the bank.   :-[

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2005, 09:13 AM »
I donno, I have a problem putting anything in my mouth that has boils and crap on it.  Maybe if they were clean I'd try it, but I have yet to catch a rocky that looks like table fair

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2005, 09:35 AM »
The craps, eyes, and perch we catch are great.  The pike are pretty small, but look clean for the most part.  It's a very clean, northern MN lake.  I guess I don't have many other lakes that I do catch rockies in, and every time I get one I think of those Sand Lake rockies and just can't get the image outta my head   :sick:

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #22 on: Dec 12, 2006, 10:27 AM »
I'm just bumping this thread back to the top due to the increase in intrest in the rock bass experience.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

pinche

« Reply #23 on: Dec 12, 2006, 12:56 PM »
Good looking out Roy.  :D

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 12, 2006, 03:09 PM »
rockbass are a very strong species of fish, and very resistant to diesease. If your rockbass have deformities, your water is unsafe. Id say youve been eating fish that contain .2-5% mercury ::)

nothing kills the mighty rockbass!
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.