Author Topic: - Backreeling -  (Read 2657 times)

Offline Clampet

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Cripes!
- Backreeling -
« on: Apr 25, 2010, 02:48 PM »
Anyone ever backreel to land a large fish with light spinning tackle?
You disengage the anti-reverse switch, and if the fish makes a sudden lunge you remove your hand from the reel handle to let it spin, in case the drag sticks.
- I reckon' -

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
Re: - Backreeling -
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2010, 05:15 PM »
i used to do that,until that 1 time the fish ran hard witch put enough slack in the line that i got tangled and the line snapped,now i just rely on my drag

Offline Clampet

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Cripes!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2010, 05:49 PM »
i used to do that,until that 1 time the fish ran hard witch put enough slack in the line that i got tangled and the line snapped,now i just rely on my drag
That's the thing, you gotta control the handle.
- I reckon' -

Offline nonamers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2010, 06:33 AM »
longer rod and good drag and forget the backreeling. will get you in trouble sooner than later. let the equipment do the work.              good fishing.

Offline Clampet

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Cripes!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2010, 11:43 AM »
Strange, this backreeling advise was given to me by a Musky angler who  had many huge musky photos on display in his Fishing sportshop.  I'll take his advise.  Actually I already have and it worked really well.  It's too "high tech" for most I suppose.
- I reckon' -

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2010, 06:06 PM »
old school!  drags have been improved and it's not really needed any longer.

Offline crazy man

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Greetings
« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2010, 08:55 PM »
Yep, all spinning reels I have used have that feature.  Everyone I have asked says they never used it.  I never have either.  They way I have it figured, maybe one percent of the fisherman use it one percent of the time. 

apparently its best used when fighting a big fish on light tackle.   I had a fish on that was like that one time.  Stripped off a bunch of line then just held it there, rod bent double.  I think that  switch might have helped me that day but hard to say. 

That huge pike? doubled back on the line so fast thatby the time I reeled in the slack it had northernized me.  Perhaps if I had back reeled that fish it may have not given me the double cross.  I was so freaked out by the whole thing that I still have dreams about that fish...the one that got away :'(

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2010, 04:52 PM »
It's too "high tech" for most I suppose.
Nothing hi tech about it...The only thing it does is prevent line twist if you don't remember not to reel against your drag.  If you purchase a decent reel, and have the drag set correctly, the drag will work much better then back reeling...

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2010, 06:14 PM »
Well I happen to like the feature myself. I know, I'm old fashioned but that's because I'm old! What do you want, an old balding guy with crow's feet by his eyes and hair in his ears wearing a spandex leotard? I didn't think so. I like to use the back reeling on my spinning reels and I used to have a Daiwa spin-cast reel that had the lever to allow back reeling that mysteriously disappeared.  :'(

But recently a friend of mine's father passed away and he doesn't fish so he offered me his dad's rods and reels. One was a Daiwa Goldcast II which is even better than the Daiwa I had because this one oscillates the spool inside just like an open faced spinning reel!  8) I took it off the cheap fly rod and put it on a Rhino bait caster and it is one of my go to stream rods in summer.

But the main thing I like about it is the thumbwheel drag instead of a star drag on the crank handle. It creates drag on the spool shaft not on the handle shaft. Those Daiwas cast a country mile too!!

They're hard to beat chasing Brookies in the pucker brush.
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Apr 28, 2010, 04:38 PM »
Well I happen to like the feature myself.
Nothing wrong with backreeling if you prefer to, But to say it is too high tech for most is like saying an automatic transmission is too high tech for most..  Back reeling is old school.. In fact I have a few old reels that don't have a drag at all...  NONE !!  I don't use them, never will.  But that doesn't mean that they couldn't be used, and used effectively.  Just that I prefer to have a good working drag on my reels. 

Offline Clampet

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Cripes!
« Reply #10 on: Apr 28, 2010, 05:17 PM »
Nothing wrong with backreeling if you prefer to, But to say it is too high tech for most is like saying an automatic transmission is too high tech for most.. 

I apologize.
That was my feeble attempt at being sarcastic.
I actually intended to imply the opposite, as you yourself say, "old school".

The time will come, for those who haven't experienced a 20-60 lb fish on 6 lb test spinning gear, (and they will rely on their drag) and come home with another how the big one got away stories.

This technique of removing the anti-reverse, and allowing the handle to spin for a surging fish was explained to me by none other than Big Jim Mclaughlin. 
- I reckon' -

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #11 on: Apr 28, 2010, 07:21 PM »
I know I do not have the equipment to bring a 60# fish with 6# line. I won't even try without some serious research and purchases.

I just wanted to mention that I also use lead core and other braids lots of times with reels such as Moochers, Ackrons, Sal-Trouts, Medalists and Packrons etc. They are available for use and often used on many most of my endeavors (unless I am solely after panfish). All of which are reel-in/reel-out type gear. And yes I also have others with no drag whatsoever gathering dust... So I am accustomed to the need to reel both ways. It also is a fun challenge like a hands on approach to fighting the fish. Watch the rod bend, if the fish really wants to run and you're worried about him getting off or breaking your line, you can assist the run by back reeling. Ain't nuthin' more fun than getting a fish near the boat/hole to have it go right back down to the bottom again and you gotta do it all over  and over until he's 'ready' for the net...  8)

Mostly, I just hate old school star drags. Absolute junk IMO. If you set the drag to allow a run without breakage at the leader test I prefer to use, you can't reel the fish in due to the weight and friction of the lead or other line type used without the need to pump and reel, and that causes you to give slack line to the fish. Same if you flip the free spool lever on a reel such as a Penn level wind! We all know what happens if you do that!  ::) But this is getting a bit off topic so I'll 'release' this one.  ;)
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Apr 28, 2010, 09:15 PM »
I apologize.
That was my feeble attempt at being sarcastic.
I actually intended to imply the opposite, as you yourself say, "old school".

The time will come, for those who haven't experienced a 20-60 lb fish on 6 lb test spinning gear, (and they will rely on their drag) and come home with another how the big one got away stories.

This technique of removing the anti-reverse, and allowing the handle to spin for a surging fish was explained to me by none other than Big Jim Mclaughlin. 

No apology needed... :)
I will admit that I have never tried back reeling.. Might work great for those used to doing it, But I know that I would have a tangled mess if I tried it.  I'll take my chances and use the drag.. 
I have only lost one fish due to using the drag, and that was on an older reel with a star drag.   Can't say it was because it was a star drag,  possibly it was just worn out ( I was much younger and had some used, abused equipment)  I was fishing the river using creek chubs for bait..  got a hit.. set the hook, fish took off.. drag didn't budge..line didn't hold for more then 2 seconds before it snapped....  :%$#!:  Now I'm a lot older, a bit smarter ( I hope) and I don't mind paying a bit more for a reel with a good drag...  THE END....
  :tipup: :tipup:

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #13 on: Apr 29, 2010, 04:31 PM »
I used to backreel but didn't do it on the last big sturgeon I pulled in on 3# line up to under the ice.  Took about two hours and the beast wouldn't fit through the 8 inch hole.  It takes some skills to backreel, something of which I've pretty much lost.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.