Author Topic: Need some help rigging for walleye  (Read 893 times)

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
Need some help rigging for walleye
« on: Aug 20, 2010, 08:55 PM »
Here's the thing.  I have only fished for game fish with tip-ups never a jig pole.  I would like to give jigging a try.  I know what to use in open water, but not hard water.

If you wouldn't mind, could you recommend what kind of jig pole, reel, line test, hardware(swivels, snaps, etc.) I could/should use.  I fish inside a 4X6 shack (approx. 6ft. high).  I'll probably give pike a shot too.

Offline IceNomads

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GOT ICE!!
Re: Need some help rigging for walleye
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2010, 09:29 AM »
Try to start with a small selection of spoons like buckshot rattles, frostee spoons, swedish pimples (gold work everywhere), or darters (nothing too big)and i usually use 4-6 lbs test with a medium light to light action rod about 26"-28" to get the feel of the bite. I just tie the spoon right on to the line. But keep in consideration that the bigger the bait the heavier the action you need, but you should be fine for walleye with the baits I said along with the rods. Pike you may want to get a little heavier rod/line and a little bit bigger baits or use tip-ups.  Keep tight lines and stay cool! ;D :icefish:
 FISHIN' IS LIKE SEX, THE LESS YOU GET, THE MORE YOU LIE!!

Offline weavs150

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2010, 10:08 AM »
i always tip my jigging spoon with a minnow head or a whole minnow along with the eyes we get the perch and a pike once in a while

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2010, 10:55 AM »
Along the lines with the other suggestions I would stick to a medium light rod, 26-28 inches in length.  I also prefer 4-6 lb test.  Jigging spoons work real well.  You don't need to go big either.  I tip them with either a real minnow head or use the Gulp! Alive minnow heads, they work real nice too.  Using a flasher is almost necessary when jigging walleye.  It will help you identify where in the water column the fish are, and also will let you know what technique works in attracting the fish, and getting the fish to bite.  You will usually find them tight to the bottom, so bouncing your spoon off the bottom and raising it slightly is a good technique.  Doing so creates a disturbance and they fish will check out what's going on.  If you are allowed two lines, having a similar setup with a float works nice too.  I usually use some sort of jig/minnow combination under a float near to where I am jigging.  In MN fatheads or small shiners work good for 'eyes.  I usually rig these just off the bottom, maybe a foot or two.   

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2010, 11:01 AM »
Wow! Glad I asked.  I think I would have way over gunned, Re: rod and line.

In Wisconsin we are allowed 3 lines, so no problem.

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2010, 01:25 PM »
You really don't need to go huge with your setups, alot has to do with how you reel in the fish.  You want to 'play' it right and make sure you adjust your drag properly.  You don't need to horse 'em up, just be gentle.  I caught this nice 26" 'eye on a fairly light setup when crappie fishing.  Took a crappie minnow and small jig, barely hooked in the lip!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2010, 02:29 PM »
The power of the rod is mostly dependent on the type of lures you will use and the weight of them.  In most cases a medium light will do.  Since I personally like to use the largest buckshot or chubby darter, I have a medium heavy rod just for that, everything else pretty much goes on a medium rod.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2010, 02:35 PM »
jasond37...I wish you'd stop taking the words out of my mouth!  ;D You've said it right!
PS...Nice 'eye!
I use basically the same set up when I'm river fishing the Red Wing/Lake City area for spring/fall walleyes...the only exception, I have a medium light ice rod and 4 lb line instead of a Gary Roach Walleye rod & 6 -8 lb test. One of my favorite rigs is a 1/16 oz chartruese or yellow jig head with a yellow twister tail, tipped with the back half of a crappie minnow. I usually whack a few northerns on this set up, too.
Remember, the colder the water, the slower the presentation. If you're not getting hit on what you're using, always drop DOWN in size and presentation.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

surflizard

« Reply #8 on: Aug 21, 2010, 04:10 PM »
Hey Silvercliff, Jigging is the way to go buddy ! I only use my tip ups to get my full number of lines in. Once you tie into a nice one jigging, you'll be hooked ! :icefish:  :roflmao:

Offline BONECRUSHER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LOVE TO GET IT WET
« Reply #9 on: Aug 21, 2010, 07:32 PM »
Like others have said, it's all in the way you handle the fish on the line  :icefish:
I have caught MANY pike over 30" on 4 lb. line while crappie fishing

Here's one my son caught jiggin' with 2lb. line while blue gillin'

GOOD LUCK  ;)

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Aug 21, 2010, 07:36 PM »
Hey Silvercliff, Jigging is the way to go buddy ! I only use my tip ups to get my full number of lines in. Once you tie into a nice one jigging, you'll be hooked ! :icefish:  :roflmao:

I will second that!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #11 on: Aug 21, 2010, 08:30 PM »
Me x3.  ;)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com