Author Topic: steel material for tip up rigs.  (Read 2397 times)

Offline MR.CRAPPIEMN

• IceShanty Rookie
steel material for tip up rigs.
« on: Dec 21, 2016, 03:54 PM »
what is the best steel material to use for tip up rigs?

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: steel material for tip up rigs.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2016, 04:15 PM »
Well seasoned Oak or Ash. 3 or 4 coats of MINWAX HELMSMAN SPAR URETHANE and you're good to go. 5 or 6 years down the road resand and recoat.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2016, 05:30 PM »
what is the best steel material to use for tip up rigs?

Steel Material????  1/4"∅ Stainless Steel for the reel shaft and .018"X.250" flat Stainless Steel for the flag shafts with flouro or black flags.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2016, 07:48 AM »
Are you talking about building a tip up or a leader?

Offline MR.CRAPPIEMN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2016, 08:06 AM »
I am looking at building my own tip up leaders for northern pike. I looked at the AFW seven strand 30lb wire at fleet farm. I about crap my pants when I looked at the price tag. It was like 4.50 for 30 feet of AFW seven strand 30lb. The 30lb seven strand seemed awful thin to me! Any suggestions?

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2016, 10:25 AM »
I prefer single strand wire for tip up leaders. New or used guitar strings of .015" dia. have tons of tensile strength and they're cheap!

:tipup:
Lobes

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2016, 05:07 AM »
I've been playing guitar off and on for nearly 17 years. Been fishing even longer. I have never in my life thought of using strings as leaders. Thanks for giving me a new perspective! I'd imagine they would work great for trout/panfish spinners aswell.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2016, 05:28 AM »
I am looking at building my own tip up leaders for northern pike. I looked at the AFW seven strand 30lb wire at fleet farm. I about crap my pants when I looked at the price tag. It was like 4.50 for 30 feet of AFW seven strand 30lb. The 30lb seven strand seemed awful thin to me! Any suggestions?

Might want to do the math on that purchase. It's only $.15 a foot, there is no better value in leader material. You really want to roll your eyes? Look at the price of fluorocarbon leader material.....  ::) Or anything titanium for that matter.

Remember, you're not spooling up with the stuff, just making a leader. Say you want an 18" leader. You'll have $.23 in the wire, another $.10 for a hook and $.06 for a swivel. That's a total of 39 cents for your leader If you want beads or blades they are added to that cost of course. That $4.50 will make you 20 18" leaders. If you want longer it's a little less, shorter, a little more.

As far as thin? That's the idea. Sure, maybe not as durable as a thicker coated wire or higher pound test but your lively bait will thank you for not weighing it down. I use 20# most of the time unless I'm swinging really big baits (think 9 - 12" chubs).

Bet you'll pay more than $.15 a foot for music wire (though used would be my favrorite price) and it will be comparatively stiff not to mention a little more challenging to work with (but not undue). I use tempered stainless wire (like music wire) to make single strand musky leaders and in line spinners all the time. In fact if you go back and look where you found the stranded stuff there should be some single strand (or solid) leader wire there as well.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2016, 09:55 AM »
No idea what the price for guitar strings are per foot.
I replace strings on my guitars at least once a month so I have a lot on hand that otherwise go to the trash.

:tipup:
Lobes

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.