Author Topic: Do Bass mean I'm setting too deep?  (Read 1532 times)

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
Do Bass mean I'm setting too deep?
« on: Dec 16, 2016, 08:07 AM »
I seem to catch more bass than pike on my tip ups. I am wondering if this indicates that I'm setting them too deep. Any one else experience this?

YEsterday I was setting in about 12fow and 9' down. This was at the bottom of a gradual transition from 5fow.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Do Bass mean I'm setting too deep?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2016, 08:10 AM »
It means the bass are feeding more aggressively then the pike imo. Hard to tell not knowing what the structure is your fishing. I wouldn't say you're fishing too deep. I like to put my baits either just over the tops of the weeds or just into them. Have to check them often cause the bait will get hung in the weeds but this is what has worked best for me. With that said i havnt targeted pike in few years or put out a tip for that matter.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2016, 12:14 AM »
I would suggest bigger bait. I set my tip-ups from right above the weeds to right under the hole. I don't catch bass on 7"-10" suckers, chubs, or shiners. And if you do it will be a really nice bass!!!

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2016, 12:22 AM »
I would suggest bigger bait. I set my tip-ups from right above the weeds to right under the hole. I don't catch bass on 7"-10" suckers, chubs, or shiners. And if you do it will be a really nice bass!!!
yes bigger bait or dead bait may help. Its unlikely a bass will take dead bait from my experience but pike arent so picky in fact they can be lazy and prefer dead this time of year.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline oldbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • usmc 1972-1976
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2016, 06:59 AM »
i set my tip ups on a gentle slope right off a sand flat where alot of perch and bluegills hang out. the water goes from 20 to 30 feet i always put my bait a foot or two off bottom usually dead perch. caught some very nice northerns that way but never any bass.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2016, 10:24 AM »
the musky and pike crowd around here would frown on the bait stealin green carp what a problem to have lol they would fish the zone from shore to first weeds like a foot of water up to 3 fow  they said the ice gave them the pike and skis cover and the zone was loaded with bait? we get incidental pike all the time we are fishin for catchin fish lol
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2016, 01:30 PM »
I seem to catch more bass than pike on my tip ups. I am wondering if this indicates that I'm setting them too deep. Any one else experience this?

YEsterday I was setting in about 12fow and 9' down. This was at the bottom of a gradual transition from 5fow.

It just means the bass are in the area you are fishing. You can try to move and get away from them, but in my limited experience the bass feed when the pike don't and the other way around too. Rarely do I ever catch both steadily in one day, usually a majority of one species and maybe 1-2 of the other mixed in. Last season it seemed they were feeding every other day. I'd go one day and catch bass, then go the next day with everything the same and catch only pike, then the next day back to bass and so on.

If you don't want to catch bass, use dead bait. You'll drop to near zero bass.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Icepants2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2016, 04:52 AM »
For bass I looked for weedlines in about 12-15 ' of water and set my tips like you did about 9' down and that worked. My lakes have no pike. With that said I have caught bass suspended in 40' of  water 15-20' down...go figure. Maybe your bait is too big? The one pike lake by me which is very shallow and weedy and the one that freezes first. I buy large to x-large shiners. When I target bass and picks it's medium to large. I hate to say maybe the pike are starting to take over your lake. Have you noticed the bass you have caught getting larger? That is a sigh the numbers are going down but the the large and the strong surive.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.