Author Topic: Beads and spinner blades for tip-ups  (Read 11399 times)

Offline Timmey9

• IceShanty Rookie
Beads and spinner blades for tip-ups
« on: Dec 23, 2005, 01:50 PM »
How many of you use beads and/or spinner blades on tip up rigs?  I have come across a few topics about it but would like to know what you use and how you rig em up. 

I also just got one of those windlass tip-ups nad wanted to throw on a spinner blade for extra action.

What type of leader do you buy?  I lke steel for pike and trebles...so what is the leader called that you tie yourself?  seven strad or something like that?  I was thinking of putting a few red beads on the leader and a silver, gold or copper blade.  Bead colors?  What size spinner blades? How for up from the hook should they be on my tip-ups?  What about on the windlass? 

I also would like to put some leaders together for walleye.  I was thinking of florocarbon and circle hooks...beads or spinner baldes on these?  Colors?  What weight line?

We can have 5 tip ups so I plan on trying a few differnt combos to see what works the best.  Just trying to get started and then i can experiment from there. 

Thanks

Offline Frank-Ct

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Beads and spinner blades for tip-ups
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2005, 08:53 AM »
Tim, I have been using nickle spoons for years above my leader and hook, I got the idea from a Lithuanian guy, he called it a Baltic rig, I have put 12 tilts out with my son here in Ct. 6 with a spoon and 18" steel leader and a trouble hook with bait and the spoon tilts out fish the other 6 tilts 5 to 1, I have caught more bass, pike and pickreal with this rig, this is one of them well keep secrets.   Frank-Ct

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2006, 09:22 AM »
I use the invisaleaders from south bend and they work real nice.  I also use a #6 red treble.  I have red beads with silver blades right above the leader on all tip-ups.  I use these for Pike.  For Walleyes I take off the leader and use 10' of floro.  I put blades on half of them by using a BB split shot 5" above the hook.  My blades out produce my buddies without, most of the time.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Humminbird ICE55 & ICE HELIX 7
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels
Strikemaster 10" Lazer Pro & 6" Lazer
Ice Fishing Innovations Rod Locker

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2006, 07:45 AM »
I use rattles above my hooks I have just found some rattles with spinners connected to them from northland co I think when the fish come in the shinner gets spooked and the rattle rattles trigering the fish to strike more aggresively  ;D :tipup:

no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

hali-man

« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2006, 08:07 AM »
I think when the fish come in the shinner gets spooked and the rattle rattles trigering the fish to strike more aggresively

Hmm- That's an interesting thought. Thanks!

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2006, 07:25 PM »
I keep the rattles 6 inches from the hook some think it is to close but the closer the rattle to the hook the more rattle and I catch a lot using this method Ive caught lake trout on these set ups not enough to deffinitly form an opinion for sure Ive been told I think about fish way to much  ::) :tipup:

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2006, 08:10 PM »
I also use 2 red beads and a small willow leaf blade with clevis and anchor it about 6" up from my hook with a small split shot.
I'm still experimenting, trying both silver and gold colored blades.  I also put this same setup on my Windlass trap, and I figured the blade would be quite an attractant with the constant jigging motion, but have yet to have any strikes on that rig.

I like the idea of the rattles, think I may have to give that a try also!
Are you SURE it's safe to walk on? Looks questionable to me!

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2006, 09:29 AM »
I have not been out to use my new rattle spinners but I will post when I do the colors Ill use are chartreuse   yellow and orange  gold and silver dimpled dont know wich one to start with ???

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2006, 01:24 AM »
I to like to use beads and spinners on my lines. I use many bead and spinner colors and combos, but have had good luck with red and yellow beads with red hooks and chartreuse spinner blades. :)

WW

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2006, 03:50 PM »
use chartreuse beads and a colorado blade
in firetiger most of the time
usually setting for pike but have caught
picks bass and crappie also :tipup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2006, 09:54 PM »
used different color rattle spinners from northland chartreuse worked the best had most flags on that color

Offline northdease

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:23 PM »
i have found that in stained water the chartruese blades seem to be working pretty well. i make my own quick strikes and put an orange bead and cleavis with the blade on top of the free sliding hook. i also use red beads and silver blades as well.

Offline vipercat64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2006, 07:33 PM »
I have tried the blade and bead thing this year...have only caught one bass, not other real action...will keep trying, but will see....
I love a flag!!!!

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2006, 11:16 AM »
I've been having good results with the combination I'm trying.  Have really hammered the SMB, and currently using 3 red beads and a very small nickle Colorado blade and a small rattle (glass tube with 3 bb's) anchored about 6-8" above the hook with a small split shot.   I'm going on the theory that a lively shiner will cause some flash and rattle, and so far have outfished my buddies who are using just shiners.
  I'm wondering however if that much hardware is spooking the trout, but nobody seems to be doing any better!

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 20, 2006, 02:43 PM »
Well I'm convinced, beads, blades and rattles are the way to go, and my catch ratio has improved significantly!
Don't know if you can see the rattle in this picture, but it's about 5" up from the hook. It's one of those tiny glass tubes with 3 BB's in it like the kind you would use in a rubber worm.  I attached it to the line with a small piece of heat shrink tubing, and anytime the bait moves it gives off a rattle.  Seems to work!   ;D

Offline fishermen50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 23, 2006, 05:05 AM »
I have been useing red beads and a spinner the whole year.  Seems to out perform my other tipups.  Just can't use to big a spinner too close to the minnows. I like to
keep em about 3 inches up on the leader. :tipup:

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 23, 2006, 11:22 AM »
I have been useing red beads and a spinner the whole year.  Seems to out perform my other tipups.  Just can't use to big a spinner too close to the minnows. I like to
keep em about 3 inches up on the leader. :tipup:
That's way closer to the hook than what I've been doing.  I've been keeping the rig about 10-12" up from the hook.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #17 on: Apr 03, 2006, 03:53 PM »
I've been using the premade ones from HT for a couple of years now we got a 40" 20# northern on it last year. Not a lot of action on anything or anywhere we tried this year. Also we have had pretty good luck with using red colored hooks too

Offline Fishin Medic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2006, 09:39 PM »
Anyone using marabou attractors instead of blades? I saw a few last year on the ice and they were using it on the Nature Vision DVD.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #19 on: Nov 14, 2006, 08:23 AM »
I have used small glow beads on my Walleye rigs, and I have also used small Marabou jigs from my windless tipups.

I seem to get a few more walleye when using a leader that has a small glow bead, when compared to the "clean" leaders.

The Marabou Jig really works well for trout, when using a wind tip up.  I have often wondered if a small "airplane" jig would work well off a wind tip up.   Has anyone tried this?

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline Fishin Medic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 14, 2006, 07:45 PM »
Actually, the marabou is either tied to the hook or some how suspended up by the beads. I would really think this would be effective for big live baits with the marabou swaying back and forth as the bait swims. That or on a windlass with dead bait. I wold think it would give some "action" to a dead bait.

Anyone??

hali-man

« Reply #21 on: Nov 15, 2006, 04:56 AM »
Actually, the marabou is either tied to the hook or some how suspended up by the beads.

Great first couple of posts, FM. Welcome!
I have just started tying marabou to small trebles myself in anticipation of experimenting (a lot) this winter. Good luck.
 8)

FishTrapr

« Reply #22 on: Nov 21, 2006, 07:48 AM »
Here's proof from the last day of the season last year... Beads and spinner blades work! (On bass anyway)  ;)  The jury's still out on this setup for trout, only caught one rainbow but I didn't start using this rig until late in the season.   Still, they outfished my traps with just a shiner, so I'm going to stick with it!   Although you can't see if very well in the pic, but I also used a small glass-BB rattler about 6" up from the hook.   

Offline Timmey9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2007, 08:32 PM »
I just got some of the titanium leader material because all the steel ones stayed coiled up after taking them off the spool.  My best luck so far has been with alternating red and white beads.  The other day I only got 2 pike and both were on tipups with spinner blades on them.  i don't know if the beads help, but they haven't seemed to have hurt any. 

Does anyone have any other color combonations to try?

I like the titanium leader material so far.  Anyoen have any tips?  I have been crimping it instead of tieing.  Any diffrence between the two?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.