Author Topic: Boyd Lake 12-18-07  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Just Ed

• IceShanty Rookie
Boyd Lake 12-18-07
« on: Dec 23, 2007, 05:55 PM »
Sorry for the late report...got to Boyd and on the ice about 7:30.  Went to the Marina to the very west where the docks are.  Ice was 4 - 5 inches.  Drilled test holes all the way out.  Dropped the flasher in the hole and saw some fish so I put on a tear drop with two gold flapper thingies at the head and tipped it with a meal worm - tail broken and hooked through the head.  That's the only rod I fished with.

By 9:30 I had caught 25 yellow perch and 5 rainbows.  The perch ranged from 6 - 13 inches and the rainbows ranged from 12 - 16 inches.  The bows were freshly stocked and VERY mushy - all white meat.  I was fishing in about 8 feet of water and all fish were on the bottom.  I was on a rocky bottom and would occasionally hook a rock which bent the hook on my jigs (I lost 1 jig) so I think I would have had many more if I had a hook sharpener with me.

Took a drive over by the jet ski ramp - there was another couple on the ice that I saw had fish through the binoculars (don't know what kind) and there was another person that (I think) saw me looking through the binos and decided to flip the cover over on his fish trap (I suspect he was catching fish).

All in all a great day for my first trip of the season.

Offline Don In Denver

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Let 'em go! Let 'em grow!
Re: Boyd Lake 12-18-07
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2007, 01:10 AM »
Thanks for the report, Ed.  I want a bunch of perch this winter.  Bernie fried up some last summer that were the best fish I ever ate.  The batter was Aunt Jemima Pancake Mix, mixed with Sprite and a little cayenne pepper.  Yum !!

Offline Just Ed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2007, 02:09 AM »
Thanks Don - wanted to get out more this week but I've been busy getting stuff together.  Finally (as of Sunday afternoon) have a reliable (I hope) snowmobile and a trailer to tow it with (bought one of those kit trailers from Harbor Freight). 

I'll have to try Bernie's recipe - am getting tired of the Zataran's!

Offline Don In Denver

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Let 'em go! Let 'em grow!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2007, 12:18 PM »
For some reason that recipe only works with perch.  But work it does!! 

Offline baetisrun1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2007, 05:22 PM »
anyone planning on going to boyd tomorrow?   (fri.)    should be a nice day!!!maybe i'll see some of ya there!!

J.P.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.