Author Topic: Crawford help  (Read 880 times)

Offline workhorse

• IceShanty Rookie
Crawford help
« on: Mar 01, 2013, 08:18 AM »
Hey guys.  Taking the family out to Crawford tomorrow for a quick trip, and could use some help.  I have never fished it, and would like to get into the crappie, and will probably set some tipups for the pike.  I was planning on focusing on the rocky bluffs by the dam.  Am I in the vicinity?  PM's are fine, and not looking for anyone's special spot, just basic info- deep, shallow, middle of the lake, bays etc.  Thanks in advance.  It will be my first time getting the wife on the ice, and I would like her to have some success. 

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
Re: Crawford help
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2013, 09:30 AM »
Trust me - Plan your recovery well - think about somewhere she'd like to go post-fishing and then follow thru!
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2013, 09:40 AM »
Just remember. Most wifes don't ice fish and the very first load pop of the ice is why. If it happens don't react to it at all. Just explain to her when she asks that it is the ice cracking and getting stronger. If you react to it yourself,she will be headed for home with or without you.

I found Pike in 12 FOW. or less. Crappie are all over the place,you really need some kind of fish finder telling you where in the water column they are. By the dam area is a good choice.

I will most likely be there also. I drive a White Ford Explorer.
<===Lefty===

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2013, 09:50 AM »
Check my previous posts here. You are right about location. The crappie move alot so you have to drill lots of holes and keep moving to stay on them. A vex is almost a necessity. The biting crappie are 10 feet down and will take a small glow jig tipped with half a waxie. Use a two lb leader.

Offline workhorse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2013, 03:50 PM »
Thanks guys.  I have a vexilar, so hopefully I can locate them.  Thanks for all the info.

Offline workhorse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2013, 02:55 PM »
Ended up with 5 nice crappie.  MArked alot of fish, but only the fish swimming thru at 10-12' wanted to play.  Punched dozens of holes, and moved constantly, but couldn't stay on them.  Beautiful day and ran into some good people.  Lefty, good to meet you.  Thanks again for the info guys. 

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2013, 03:54 PM »
Ended up with 5 nice crappie.  MArked alot of fish, but only the fish swimming thru at 10-12' wanted to play.  Punched dozens of holes, and moved constantly, but couldn't stay on them.  Beautiful day and ran into some good people.  Lefty, good to meet you.  Thanks again for the info guys.

I am starting to think about all the fish we see on the bottom of the lake that just wont play. I was just thinking possibly they are the huge carp in the lake or even the channel cats.  I did roll one when I dropped to the bottom and made a fast upward jerk . It felt pretty big whatever it was.I wont be going back this year but next year I will take some hot dogs or some stink bait and test my theory.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.