Author Topic: Maine traps  (Read 1785 times)

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Maine traps
« on: Feb 22, 2013, 09:11 AM »
I have two older model Maine Traps before they sold to HT, they are great! The HT's I bought 10 of them last year and have nothing but trouble with them. The spools tighten up when the line is taken out. Does any one have these and figured out a way to make them work. I taken them apart several times and cant get what I am looking for.If I leave the spools loose they are ok but with big bait I want the spool to have a little tension so the bait doesnt set them off this is when they malfunction.
If there is a thread on this that I didnt see sorry, if you could point me in that direction it would be appreciated. Or if you have any ideas that would be great to. Thanks

Offline mike1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Maine traps
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2013, 09:55 AM »
Not sure if it's the same problem, but on my old Moosehead and lifetime traps the reels would sometimes tighten up and not turn. I put nylon lock nuts on them and it seems to have solved the problem.

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2013, 12:29 PM »
Yup thats the problem, and that was gonna be my solution but been to the local hardware store and he doesnt have the nylon stuff, Ill have to expand my search. Thanks for the input

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2013, 05:33 PM »
Perch, you could try Fastenal or McMaster Carr on line. They would have what you need.

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2013, 07:16 PM »
Awesome thanks we actually have a fastenal bout 30 mins from here

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2013, 04:50 AM »
I would bet fastenal comes through.

WS

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2013, 06:01 PM »
I'm hopin they, do makes me a little mad that I have these t/u's and they dont work properly, thanks for the input guys.

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2013, 07:46 PM »
 Get an Indian Hill or a Jack Traps.

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2013, 07:28 PM »
 Got some diffrent hardware and nylon washers and a little modification working good. Thanks for the input guys.

Offline jackcraps

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2013, 07:33 AM »
There's a ton of Maine built traps besides those Jack traps you try and push.  Allagash, moosehead, heritage laker,  plus a ton. Of other small guys building amazing tip ups as a hobby that you can pick up at some local bait shops.   

Polars junk
Jack traps overpriced firewood
Beaver dams over priced polars
40 ups. Garbage firewood.

Offline Kevin in maine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2013, 08:02 AM »
There's a ton of Maine built traps besides those Jack traps you try and push.  Allagash, moosehead, heritage laker,  plus a ton. Of other small guys building amazing tip ups as a hobby that you can pick up at some local bait shops.   

Polars junk
Are there any traps that you like? Or do you just like trashing everything?

Offline Derik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2013, 10:51 AM »
Polars junk

Jacks may be over priced but they will last for years, I know guys using some that are ten years old.  The old thompsons are still kicking around too, I see a lot of those on the ice.  The high flyers and 40-ups aren't great but they work and if you take care of them they will last quite a few years before they need to be replaced.  I can't stand the plastic traps though, hate those things.

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2013, 11:30 AM »
REALLY! I asked for opinions on making my traps work better,  and if you read previous post that was accomplished Thanks to the folks that had helpful info. I did not ask what traps to buy and this thread is not inteaded for bashing brands. If that is what you want to do start another thread.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2013, 08:42 AM »
REALLY! I asked for opinions on making my traps work better,  and if you read previous post that was accomplished Thanks to the folks that had helpful info. I did not ask what traps to buy and this thread is not inteaded for bashing brands. If that is what you want to do start another thread.
:clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2013, 09:22 AM »

Polars junk
They don't even make half of those anymore. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.