Author Topic: ELITE 4X KHZ question  (Read 1595 times)

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
ELITE 4X KHZ question
« on: Nov 02, 2014, 10:14 PM »
alright so I just noticed in the settings of the lowrance 4x hdi ice machine that I can run the unit at 83 KHZ or 200 KHZ....Just curious to know what the difference between the 2 is and which setting i should use...I will primarily be fishing in water between 6 and 8ft.  please help

Offline BRIFISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ELITE 4X KHZ question
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2014, 10:21 PM »
I have the elite 4x, I think your ice transducer will only send a 200khz signal.  The 200 is similar to a 20 deg. And the 83khz is like a 60 degree  cone.  Do a Google search for lowrance cone angle.

Offline BRIFISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2014, 10:24 PM »

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2014, 10:47 PM »
Thanks for the info guys....The youtube video I watched about setting up the unit said to run at 83 khz but obviously that person was wrong.  Thanks!

Offline spam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2014, 05:55 AM »
So im just curious why not run the 83kHz (if the unit will) it gives you a wider cone angle?
Looks like chuck is taking old one eye to the optometrist!

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2014, 06:52 AM »
You have to check which transducer you have and what freq's it will run at,  the bigger HDI transducer does both, the Ice ducer, I don't know.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2014, 07:55 AM »
Lowrance ice transducer is only capable of the 200khz 20 deg cone.

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2014, 03:55 PM »
If you put your boat ducer on a stick, you can use the 83.

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 03, 2014, 08:56 PM »
I have an elite 4m that was bought last year with the ice pack and it came with the 83/200 ice transducer, so there is a good chance yours has as well. Easy to tell. Hook it to the finder in your house and power up, if you have the option to choose frequency, your ducer is a dual!  For 6-8 ft of water you won't see much benefit from the 83khz signal, but you can try it and see. If you want to see the difference you can actually dual screen both at the same time, will give you an idea of how much extra viewing area the 80 is giving you if you drill extra holes in the area and plunk lures down them and see where they show up and where they don't. In deeper water 15'+ i can monitor both my lines with the 83 signal. One thing i noticed is i really hear the sonar 'click' quite distinctly at 83 where it is mostly silent at 200.

Offline spam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2014, 09:32 PM »
I have an elite 4m that was bought last year with the ice pack and it came with the 83/200 ice transducer, so there is a good chance yours has as well. Easy to tell. Hook it to the finder in your house and power up, if you have the option to choose frequency, your ducer is a dual!  For 6-8 ft of water you won't see much benefit from the 83khz signal, but you can try it and see. If you want to see the difference you can actually dual screen both at the same time, will give you an idea of how much extra viewing area the 80 is giving you if you drill extra holes in the area and plunk lures down them and see where they show up and where they don't. In deeper water 15'+ i can monitor both my lines with the 83 signal. One thing i noticed is i really hear the sonar 'click' quite distinctly at 83 where it is mostly silent at 200.

I have the elite 5 and i can really hear the clicking on both 83 and 200 i alwas wondered if that spooked the fish ever?!?!

Offline BRIFISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 04, 2014, 06:52 AM »
all transducers click, thats how they work

Offline spam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 04, 2014, 07:08 AM »
all transducers click, thats how they work

I have never heard my fl-8 transducer click in the 5 years i had it!!!

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 04, 2014, 08:40 AM »
'Cause the fl8 is pretty weak compared to the finders - 50w rms vs 250 of the 4x

Catchin' Fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.