The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: perch assault tournaments  (Read 7224 times)

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
Re: perch assault tournaments
« Reply #30 on: Mar 06, 2010, 08:13 AM »
So they got caught BEFORE they could cheat,why cancel it???????

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #31 on: Mar 07, 2010, 03:23 AM »
I figured that was going on for a while, cheating.  But no one could prove it or would even mention it, me included.  I wonder if they had won any of the last tourneys or placed?  Maybe they should look into that.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Mar 07, 2010, 09:23 AM »
I guess its the CSI in me or something but having known there were cheats out there it would have been cool to get them somehow.  Like when this bucket was found, I don't know if the perch were alive or dead but if they were dead, shove some steel shot down their mouth and hit them with metal detectors at the weigh in.  Take pictures of doing that.  Again if they were dead, mark them with tags that say "we got you don't bring these fish to the weigh in" then if you have someone with a whole ton of fish with holes in the same spots of their fin you got the guys.  Maybe they might even be dumb enough to bring the same bucket to the weigh in. 

Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline iceholer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Mar 07, 2010, 12:39 PM »
they started out to catch the guy took pitchers clipped there fins weighed each fish and putt them back in the bucket alive that night when the to officials got together latter that night they then decided to cancel the tourney. i believe they should not have canceled it and ruined it for every one. but caught the a$$ hole red handed at the weigh in. and black ball him from every tourney from now on. but no he will continue to do this until he gets caught.  funny thing is that Saturday this person people suspected came to the lake to participate in a fun 20 dollar buy in tourney that we all decided to have even after all this crap happend. and guess what. you guessed it he took more of our money.funny. but not ha ha funny
when hell freezes over ill ice fish there to

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Mar 07, 2010, 05:16 PM »
How could you guys have not said anything especially since you guys were in the lead with the best chance of winning and coming clear from helena? And why wouldn't you guys have said anything when they took more money,I know it was only twenty bucks but thats not the point
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline iceholer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Mar 07, 2010, 10:18 PM »
they know who they are and what they are. they don't need me pointing any finger at them we left it up to the officials. ( they let you guys down) as far as Saturday goes I'm a better man than that. if someone needs the money that bad i will give it to them. I can look at myself in the mirror every day and be proud of who i see. its just fishing its supposed to be fun

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #36 on: Mar 08, 2010, 09:30 AM »
I want to point a couple things out about the stance the officials took on this...

there are a bunch of VERY competitive people fishing the Perch Assault.  Not all of them can be trusted to "do the right thing" when it comes to the option of becoming a vigilante or not.  If the officials let the name of the person out or caught the person red handed in front of the rest of the group there is a good chance that person would receive more than a verbal assault.  In our wonderful court system the Derby organizers could be held responsible.  Now I think it stinks that this persons(s) gets off scott free and what really stinks is that they can continue to participate in derby's.... I think there should be some kind of rule that if you cheat at a derby your name gets given to the State and then your name is distributed to all the derby organizers across the state and that list sticks with you for say 5 years.

I was told the fish in the buck weighed just a bit over 7lbs total but with the way Mary Ronan fished in the past it would have won the day, and there was a fish that wen 1.5lb which probably would have won big fish so they would have won around $1200.00.  This is enough to motivate those without conscience to cheat!

If there is never a deterrent beyond a man's conscience then this will continue to happen.

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #37 on: Mar 08, 2010, 09:43 AM »
A good ass kickin and public ridicule would have taken care of that.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #38 on: Mar 08, 2010, 10:05 AM »
The Tournament was cancelled with two days notice to everyone.  FULL refunds were issued to everyone. Chancy and I have put on this tournament for 5 years, strictly voluntary and with no compensation.  We do it so others can have fun and we have fun doing it.

The last tourny there was shenanigans.  This tourny, more shenanigans.  How much more sign do I need that some bad **censored** is about to happen?  Our position has always been, and everyone who has fished with us have heard, "when it stops being fun, we are done".

When the bucket was found, I was notified.  I left work early, went and investigated.  A big bucket of perch, below the ice, hidden by piles of snow, in a place almost no-one fishes...
I weighed, measured and marked each fish, taking pictures of everything.  GPS'd the hole where they were hidden.  We could have caught the person who did it, either busting them when they slid their ice house over the hole, or when they turned in the marked fish.

We also could have had a full scale riot on our hands, and the persons that did it probably would have been maimed or killed on the ice.  Or had 10 big perch shoved up their A$$, (hey, the new Perch Assault logo??!!) The resort and myself could have been held responsible...not good.  We are talking approx $2500 bucket of fish here and there are people that would have been very, very **censored**ed off, myself included.  Again, this is a volunteer effort and I dont need the three days of stress about "whats going to happen when we find these fish"..

Now, and I say this with utmost respect to the guys who found the bucket.  You know who did it.  You can take the responsibility of outing the person and you deal with those repercussions.  That is why we cancelled the tournament.  We put on fishing tournaments, not public a$$whoopings, and after the bucket was found, it would be impossible for us to put on the type of contest we have always strived for, a fun, level playing field where everyone can win by catching better fish.  It would have ended badly.

Has this happened before in our events?  Most likely.  Are the season champion points skewed by past cheating this year?  Most likely.  Have the a$$hats that have done this won money from all the other competitors?  Most likely.  Is there ANOTHER bucket hidden out there?  Who knows? So WHY continue when everything has been turned upside down and we cant put on the event as planned. 

We made the decision to pull the plug and almost everyone of the 30 or more people who have called me all support our decision.  I apologize to those inconvenienced by the cancellation.  I apologize to those who counted on me to put on the type of tournament I have been advertising for years.  One bad apple DID spoil the barrel, and we all lose.  Chancy and myself have more time and effort invested in this thing than anyone, and we are as dissapointed, if not more so, than anyone.

I am out of the tournament business as a result, but the persons involved will eventually get found out.
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 08, 2010, 01:24 PM »
We all know the old saying "no good deed goes unpunished"!
Even though I have never fished the assault I would like to thank you for all the hard work!

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Mar 08, 2010, 01:44 PM »
Perchassau....

Having nothing to do with any of those tournaments or derbys in general, I gotta say I can respect what you did.  I had no idea that there was that much money on the line.  Still I think its terrible, and it sucks that you say your done hosting derbys or tournaments.  I would be lying if I didn't say it would have been nice to catch the guys and there would be nothing better than a public humiliation and maybe an a$$ kicking to cure them for good.  That said liability is a powerful thing, and its guys like that who would take an opportunity such as that and run right to an attorney trying to take as much money from yourselves and the resort as possible.  $2500 bucks is a good chunk of money but hardly worth it.  The fact that you guys have volunteered your time to turn out the tourney only to have some jerk do that....that's really really sad.  As a guy who doesn't fish tournaments, I'd take my hat off to how you handled the situation.

Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Mar 08, 2010, 06:58 PM »
mike i can see why you handled it as you did but you can bet that i will find him around town and definetely have a few words. I don't think he needs an a** kickin but he will definetely get a peice of my mind especially after showing up saturday. you and chancy have put on a wonderful tournament for the last few years and i'm sorry to see it end. But we'll still get some fishing in

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #42 on: Mar 09, 2010, 07:32 AM »
Yeah, that's really a bad deal there.  The Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks approves these derbies.  Why can they not penalize them?  Fines, revoke their tags etc.  Maybe we should have a law that over sees cheats at derbies like they do poachers.  Call it the "Get A Rope Law"!

The other weird thing is if they are outed, and you find out they once fished with you, aauuuhhhhh..... guilt by proxy and association.  Bad Juju there too. 

What would be really great is if the sponsors of the Tourney just spread the identity of the cheats to the other sports stores and the sport stores all agreed not to sell these varmints anything, including licenses.  Make the cheats outcasts of the county. 

Just lets not have any good fisher persons go vigilante because then they become the criminal and the cheats become poor victims....
wish you many hook-ups

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #43 on: Mar 09, 2010, 11:49 AM »
Thanks for all the support and affirmation guys!  We know there were several different ways we could have handled it, but for us, it was the high road.  The name will be provided to other organizers as a "person of interest" and they can choose to do what they want.  The whole thing ending this way is bad enough, we didnt need more of an unhappy ending.

And I know there are WAY more honest folks out there than guys like this, and by this summer when its time to apply for ice derbies, who knows what we may feel like at that time.  It was a special series, put on by guys with big hearts and attended by some of the greatest people. LOTS of new friendships formed and you cant even put a value on that in itself.

It leaves a hole in a lot of ways, and one of the things I enjoyed most was watching a couple teams really grow and improve and overcome, thats just cool!  So, we shall see where this road leads.  But for now, its still a bad taste in my mouth, like a dead waxworm on a dull hook! ::)

If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline iceholer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Mar 09, 2010, 05:16 PM »
HE THERE I MADE A STATEMENT THAT THE OFFICHIALS LET YOU GUYS DOWN.I MAID THAT STATEMENT IN HASTE BECAUCE OF OF ACOUPLE OF MESSAGES I RED ASKING WHY DIDNT I DO OR SAY SOMETHING. I WAS WRONG POINTING A FINGER JUST WHAT I SAID I WOULDNT DO  I DID AT THE WRONG PEOPLE JUST TO TAKE THE HEAT OFF ME. THERE IS ONLY ONE PERSON RESPONSABLE FOR ALL THE BULLcrap THAT WENT DOWN AND THEY KNOW HWO THEY ARE. AS FOR MIKE AND CHANSHY I TAKE MY HAT OFF TO YOU I WILL MISS FISHING IN THE FLATHEAD YOU GUYS DID A GREAT JOB.  THANK YOU FOR ALL THE TIME YOU SACRAFICED SO THAT SO MANY PEOPPLE COULD FISH AND ENJOY SOME OF THE SAME THINGS YOU GUYS CHERACE SO MUCH YOUR FRIEND TIM MARSH (THE ICEHOLER)

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Mar 09, 2010, 06:45 PM »
sounds like u just hit happy hr....yah...what a shame...can u imagine playing in a poker tournament...everybody buys in..then 1/2 way thru it..a couple of aces falls out of someones sleeve..you did right to cancel it...an a whooping would be the best case scenario...f the vigilantle stuff.. this is damn close to a felony...i guarantee..this aint over by a long shot....

Offline fish to live

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Im on the ice right now, or wishing i was
« Reply #46 on: Mar 13, 2010, 07:41 PM »

Thanks to Don Shafer,  "THE PANTY HOSE BANDITs" we have know more perch

assult..... I hope we see him on the ice i will be sure to say hi,

hope we all say hi   >:( >:(      ;)
Every one can go fishing, " not every one can catch fish

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Mar 13, 2010, 09:03 PM »
already planned on saying hi to him ;D

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #48 on: Mar 14, 2010, 05:40 PM »
I Googled the name and there is a Don Shafer in Missoula.  Wonder if he is the right one?  Or is it spelled Schaeffer?
wish you many hook-ups

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Mar 14, 2010, 06:46 PM »
It's spelled schaeffer

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #50 on: Mar 16, 2010, 08:34 AM »
Very sorry to hear about your ice tournament.  >:( Unfortunately this is a reality in today's world when $$ are involved. Open water tourneys are not immune either. Kudos to those of you who paid attention and found the bucket and the officials that made a tough call and stuck to it. :tipup:

One thing I would like to say is I would hate to see your tournament series end. The ice industry needs these types of events to push the envelope. Iceheads that consistently place near the top in total weight ice tournaments such as this one, are a great for the sport. Everything from techniques and equipment to locating larger fish of a particular species are huge for a industry trying to get away from it's bucket butt, sit in one place style of fishing.  Plus a large % of the innovations developed in the last 15 years for ice fishing were first designed by tournament ice fishermen. You are the people that find the most efficient way of putting big fish on the ice.

There are several solutions for keeping your tournament's integrity intacted. Nothing is 100%, but there are certainly ways of reducing the chances of someone cheating plus severe "within the law" consequences for those that do.

Let me know if I can help.

Thank you,

Don Cox
Mullen Ne       

Offline iceholer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Mar 16, 2010, 08:24 PM »
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated i would love to see this tournament continue as well as any others

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #52 on: Mar 16, 2010, 08:43 PM »
If they had spotters like the Canyon Ferry Derby.  Each team at that tourney has 4 people.  Each team trades at random 1 team member to spot the another team, enforce rules etc. 

For this to work for the Perch Assault Series, each team would need 3 members so 1 can be the spotter and the other 2 fish.  So it changes the roster a bit to 3 person teams.  It really is the most logical way.  When there are regular derbies, each person is on their honor.  Not to say everyone is honest, just that's the way it works out.

I went to the Perch Assault web site photo page and saw a picture of Schaeffer and his team mate.  If I see them at any other derby in the future, open water or ice, I will identify them openly and not fish that derby.  I encourage all other fisher persons to do the same, the derby sponsors will either let these varmints fish the derby by themselves or 86 them immediately.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Mar 16, 2010, 09:11 PM »
You could also do a blind draw.  You don't know who your partner is until the day of the derby.  That way you keep each other honest.  Also you might pick up some fishermen that couldn't get a partner.
People are always pushing the limits in derbies.  At Clark Canyon derby one year I had a guy come up and admire the ling I had sitting on the ice outside the shack.  He couldn't believe I hadn't weighed it in even after I told him that I was fishing all night and caught that one a 3am and the derby didn't start until 8am.  He was almost pissed that I didn't take it in.  Now if it was the $10000 tagged fish then that would have been tempting(just kidding).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.