Author Topic: The shinning  (Read 1204 times)

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
The shinning
« on: Dec 21, 2017, 03:06 PM »
I just purchased a larger jet sled and being new it has a nice slippery surface. I was wondering if using a tire shine product, or an Armor all type product would help it slide better, or help it slice once it has been drug around the ice a few hundreds of miles.  There was a thread early last fall on the topic but it eludes me now. Has anyone tried down hill ski wax on the bottom of a sled?
Thanks in advance.
WYIfish
Thread killer

Offline fishonthebrain

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: The shinning
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2017, 03:33 PM »
Great question. I'm wondering myself. Was out last weekend and my buddies sled came in contact with slush that stuck to the bottom and made it a real b**ch to pull. Ski wax sounds like a good idea. I'm gonna give it a try.

Offline buuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2017, 03:34 PM »
I can't comment about the tire shine spray but ski wax will definitely work, as will silicone spray. That is commonly used as a glide wax for cross country skis.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2017, 03:38 PM »
Armor All tire dressing?
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline greenbulldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2017, 03:41 PM »
An armor all product wont work.  I tried that on my kids downhill sled to make it go faster, and it got gel like and actually slowed them down.  Im sure ski wax would work, but I never tried it and dont know.

Could always trya non-chloric, silicon-based kitchen lubricant, worked for clark griswold.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2017, 03:44 PM »
Armor All tire dressing?
I have armor all and "Tire Shine" product from the dollar store. Garenteed to make old tires look new again. I can't feature either one would hurt. I may look into the ski wax if I can find any in town.

THE TEST; apply products to my pretty much worn out plastic snow shovel and see how they do.
Thread killer

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2017, 04:01 PM »
I just went out and tested the tire shine product and it was BAD, I sprayed it all over the bottom of a new plastic bucket and slid it around in our 4 inches of fresh powder and the snow stuck to the bottom of the bucket in a bad way.  Scratch that idea, will keep for my Hellcat tires. Wink, wink.
Thread killer

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2017, 04:16 PM »
2 words.  SMITTY SLED. Raising the tub out of the snow and gliding along on a pair of skis displaces a lot less snow and reduces resistance.  Like the old 1 horse sleigh with the narrow runners, reducing the footprint helps it go easier.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2017, 04:39 PM »
Pledge works well.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2017, 05:15 PM »
Pledge is good.  I thought of another one, on our old tobogan when I was a kid, before ski wax was invented, we used a bar of parfifin wax, the kind grandma used for  her preserves and making candles............hmm mm....wax candles would work.  I have a smitty sled of sorts, well, it has skis and I will wax that.  Cost of the parffin wax is $3 for 3   1/2 x 2 1/2 x 4 inch  bars.
Thread killer

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2017, 05:19 PM »
I use  silicone spray.i keep a can in my truck.doesnt stay on very long .but nothing does and it keeps slush and ice from building up on the bottom of my sleds.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2017, 05:22 PM »
I think I have tried all the above recommendations at one time or another ..nothing really stands out as being outstanding overall.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2017, 07:01 PM »
I bought a spray can of stuff that is supposed to lessen snowblower clogging (haven't tried it yet for that purpose).  Its called Snow-Jet, a "Non-stick Polymer Treatment".   I'll bet it would work great for making sleds slide easier.

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2017, 07:24 PM »
Wondering about all these sprays and such. That stuff wears off. Where? on the ice. on the lake. and when the ice melts. May seem insignificant, but every bit of foreign matter in the water can’t be good for water quality, or the fish.
Darn! I was going to suggest KY jelly, but there’s usually a mess involved, so scratch that idea.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2017, 08:11 PM »
Wondering about all these sprays and such. That stuff wears off. Where? on the ice. on the lake. and when the ice melts. May seem insignificant, but every bit of foreign matter in the water can’t be good for water quality, or the fish.
I used to do environmental water testing.  The answer to pollution is dillution.   Oh, and every day is Earth Day.
Thread killer

Offline FISH4WISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2017, 08:46 PM »
Smitty sleds rule,jet sleds and flipovers don't have enough clearance to ride over snow so they act more like a plow.Try it,you'll like it! ;)

F4W

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2017, 11:02 PM »
Smitty sled!
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2017, 11:10 PM »
Rain x ?? Or that new stuff we're they throw a bucket of muddy water on the car and it all runs off in the Comercial on tv??

Offline gil_lunkage

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2017, 02:14 AM »
Simpson heh...
"Don't hate me cause you ain't me"
~ Some Dude

Offline Gimper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2017, 07:04 AM »
I've used Nu Finish car wax for years. Works well. I apply it just before the season and I usually don't have to reapply unless I hit raw ground or dry pavement. I use the stuff in the squirt bottle and haven't used the paste so I don't know if that would work or not.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2017, 07:12 AM »
Smitty Sled, end of story :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.