Author Topic: One Last Hurrah!  (Read 624 times)

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spring bobbers and ratsotails!
One Last Hurrah!
« on: Mar 06, 2014, 08:20 PM »
It's been a great year for ice fishing this year and I wanted just one more time out before putting the gear away. I wasn't sure what kind of ice conditions I'd see, but it was looking risky as I passed a lot of ponds and lakes on the way up that looked like they were beginning to thaw and open up. I was pleased to see that there was still some sleet on the ice when I arrived and it looked pretty safe, except for the area around the dam that had begun to open up due to the aerator and warm weather. I drilled through mostly 7-9" of ice today and the conditions were perfect.

And the fish didn't disappoint!

It was strange though;everything was suspended today between 4-10 ft over 15 ft of water. And they were really moving fast. If you missed them cruising by you had to wait for the next pod - and they were aggressive. Here's a pic of the suspended fish:

And here is a reminder how harsh this winter was:

Looking back, this was probably the best conditions I have seen for ice fishing in southern Illinois in about 12 years and I am grateful! Until next year Icenuts!

tight lines,

ratsotail

Offline Cristoforo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Bass
Re: One Last Hurrah!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2014, 09:20 PM »
Ratsotail, thanks for taking us fishing with you in this message.  You always document your outings so well I feel like I was there too.  Hope our ice holds for awhile yet here planning on hitting it hard this weekend and possibly again the weekend after pending stble conditions.  Tight lines!  Cris :)

Offline Oneicehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2014, 12:23 PM »
Very nice Jeff! I am truly jealous.
JKL "just keep livin"

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spring bobbers and ratsotails!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2014, 08:34 PM »
Good luck Chris and I hope you get one last chance too Jeremy. I enjoyed the two times out with you this year and meeting your young fisherman  @) ;D!

tight lines,

Jeff

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.