Author Topic: Drifter's Purple Finger of Doom  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Drifter's Purple Finger of Doom
« on: Feb 07, 2021, 02:13 PM »
Is poking you right in the gut!!!!   :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
FYI, if you whine that it's too cold your man card will be revoked permanently!!!!

Offline J Hynes

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Drifter's Purple Finger
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2021, 02:20 PM »
I remember having Temps like that when I lived in Labrador

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2021, 02:54 PM »
What's there to whine about? It's almost t shirt weather. :tipup: :thumbsup:

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2021, 03:15 PM »
A couple of weeks ago, it was -60 degrees at a favorite reservoir, (actual temperature), with an unknown windchill! Didn’t fish that day thank goodness!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2021, 03:19 PM »
It can get pretty cold up where the air thins out.   ;)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2021, 03:28 PM »
Is poking you right in the gut!!!!   :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
FYI, if you whine that it's too cold your man card will be revoked permanently!!!!

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

If anyone fishes in those temps...self included...trade in the man card and exchange for the idiot one. It's 9* here right now and I'm under a blanket watching the pre-game. And the freezer is half full of fish. I'm good until another day.  ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2021, 03:55 PM »
😍

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2021, 04:16 PM »
I might actually have to put on some cold weather gear to go out and play in that stuff.  It’s supposed to warm up to the -20’s next weekend so it should be pretty comfortable to finally go out and fish.  Although where I like to go it’s usually 10 degrees colder than what the forecast is so I might have to fish in a shack.  I’ve been keeping an eye on your weather over there Drifter, and it looks like you guys are actually having a winter this year.  What are your snow levels like?  It’s been a little below average over here but we still have a lot of winter left so anything could happen.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2021, 04:27 PM »
I go out every superbowl but not this one.not because of cold but the starter froze up on my truck.i was still out in it trying to defrost my starter.fun..

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2021, 04:31 PM »

I've been bitten before not to the point of discoloration but they did get awful fat. Passed out one night drunk lucky people got me inside when they did.

Offline Walted

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2021, 04:38 PM »
Only thing I would whine about it is that it's 3 months late.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2021, 04:42 PM »
I went outside to do some backyard cold casting with some open water rods and practice weights.  My fingers near froze.  Even my thumb was feeling stiff cold.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2021, 04:51 PM »
I might actually have to put on some cold weather gear to go out and play in that stuff.  It’s supposed to warm up to the -20’s next weekend so it should be pretty comfortable to finally go out and fish.  Although where I like to go it’s usually 10 degrees colder than what the forecast is so I might have to fish in a shack.  I’ve been keeping an eye on your weather over there Drifter, and it looks like you guys are actually having a winter this year.  What are your snow levels like?  It’s been a little below average over here but we still have a lot of winter left so anything could happen.

Was out at the cabin after Christmas and the snow was knee deep.
Really dry powdery stuff. Still hit rocks with the sled when packing down around the cabin.
Haven't been out since and won't get out for a couple more weeks as I'm in mandatory isolation since I had to leave the Territory for a medical appt. in Alberta.
They have this isolation rule so the Rona doesn't spread and it's been working well.
Since last June I've had to do a bunch of these. Total days isolated after this stretch will be 56 since the beginning of July 2020.

Am hoping there's another foot or more to pack down when I get out there next.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Drifter's Purple Finger of Doom
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2021, 06:48 PM »
Dam you sent it too far east, missed me. Next time send it due south, not much for ice here, Been around 50 here every day.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Drifter's Purple Finger of Doom
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2021, 06:25 AM »
After boot camp in 1971 I went to "A" school in Great Lakes Ill. in January and February. For about a week we had temps like that - 60 with wild wind chills. The Chow hall was a quarter mile walk from the barracks and all we had was Navy P coats and uniforms with BS shoes. Needless to say we about starved that week until they started running a bus to drive us back and forth. I ended up with pneumonia and in the hospital for 10 days after that dumb crap and the hospital ward was overfilled to max capacity before the dumbasses decided they better do something. They finally issued us what they called face prewarmer masks and the greatest mittens I have ever had and still wear to this day for ice fishing.

If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.