Author Topic: So I am thinking about making a wind break out of a sled and some PVC.  (Read 6508 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
I had a Shappell FX50 and sold it. Last year my wife decided she no longer wanted to go Ice fishing so I sold everything. THis year I will go alone but would love another Shappell FX 50 but they no longer make them. SO I have an idea to make 2 long uprights from the top of the sled to the ground where the sled is standing up. Then 2 more shorter pieces from the bottom of the sled out to connect to the longer ones. To give it a triangle shape with trap attached. I got the idea from this picture and others like it.  I would just use a chair to put in there and not a built in seat. Anyone make one of these? I figure the 2 pieces on each side could be connected with a eye bolt going through the long piece and a PVC cap bolted to it. That way you could just disconnect it and fold it inside the sled.

<===Lefty===

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Excelent idea ..

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Lefty there's a NIB FX-50 in NY 50.00

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Lefty there's a NIB FX-50 in NY 50.00
WOW I bet it would only cost me $100 to ship to Colorado. Where is it at? I would get it if the price isn't insane for shipping.
<===Lefty===

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Id use abs of pvc....angle aluminum might be even better since it will fold into itself where the bottom pieces hinge into to the uprights....just use a keyhole with a stud (bolt would work) on a small plate at the lip of the sled to attach the bottom strut to sled. Quick and easy

Catchin' Fish

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
After looking at that guys picture again I think just 2 pieces of PVC would be enough. I would just leave the Tarp long enough to have a shirt at the bottom so I could use snow to hold it down. 2 or 3 Eskimo Anchors should be enough to keep it from blowing away. I could drill holes through the PVC at the bottom at an angle. Screw the anchors through those holes and one at the lip of the sled. I would bring a chair and not make it built in.
<===Lefty===

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
The fx100 is like the fx50 except the fx100 goes all of the way to ground in front. It also has wind break mode like the fx50.

One could modify the fx100 to become the fx50 if you didn't want the weight?
The fx100 has two more support bars than the fx50 and the brackets to hold it half open for windbreaker mode.

I wouldn't want to not be able to take the tent all
of the way down to the ground in front of me. We use windbreaker mode on windy days and take the front all of the way down for heat or privacy or both. People close in when they see fish and they're not seeing them where they're fishing.

Most times I leave the tent fully collapsed and can have a seat at times and then use it for heat when the Temps drop near sunset or if the wind picks up.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Might just get the FX100 if I can't make something. As far as others seeing me catch fish and coming over, I don't have a problem with that. That very seldom happens since the lake I am on is huge.
<===Lefty===

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
They make pvc trim boards they sell at lowes that may work for ya two pieces with the tarp sandwiched in middle and one to mount to sled .. the pvc wood is cheaper then say star board they use in boats.. just a suggestion?

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
  I always thought of making something but more of a 3 sided(roof optional) affair. Make 4 PVC sleeves mounted inside at the "corners", slide 4 poles into the sleeves and the "tent" goes over them. I would have whoever makes the "tent" - make sleeves for the poles on each corner with a cutout about halfway up for anchor ropes. I wouldn't go real tall just sitting height. The opening could be either a long or short side.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I made a wind break out of a tarp but it involves drilling 3 holes about 1" dia which I can do with a dinky drill. I'll try to post pix if interested.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
I made a wind break out of a tarp but it involves drilling 3 holes about 1" dia which I can do with a dinky drill. I'll try to post pix if interested.
Yes please post a picture.
<===Lefty===

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I made this from some old tent poles and a picnic tent.

Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Nice. I see you used the SUV sled.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
So I just ordered the Jet Sled XL. 66" by 31". That should be plenty big enough for me. When I get it from Cabela's I will go out and buy the uprights for it. I will either go with PVC 1" or I might just get 1"x2" Boards. The boards would most likely work better to attach the Tarp to them. I could wrap it around and then staple it on. There wont be much weight on the uprights.
<===Lefty===

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
So I just ordered the Jet Sled XL. 66" by 31". That should be plenty big enough for me. When I get it from Cabela's I will go out and buy the uprights for it. I will either go with PVC 1" or I might just get 1"x2" Boards. The boards would most likely work better to attach the Tarp to them. I could wrap it around and then staple it on. There wont be much weight on the uprights.

This is the pvc trim boards I was talking about by royal products at this hyper link..  .. if you got a table saw you could by the 5.5 x .75 x 12 footer and slpit it up but of corse the cost is a little higher then 1 inch pvc guessing a lot stronger too..

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=Pvc+wood

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
This is the pvc trim boards I was talking about by royal products at this hyper link..  .. if you got a table saw you could by the 5.5 x .75 x 12 footer and slpit it up but of corse the cost is a little higher then 1 inch pvc guessing a lot stronger too..

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=Pvc+wood

So this is solid PVC boards?  I was thinking they were hollow. I don't have a Table saw anymore but can find someone to split it for me. I would only need an 8' board. Plan on just running from the front of the sled down to the ground. How would staples work on these boards?
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Was just looking over those boards and think 2 of the .75 x 1.5" x 8 ' boards would be plenty strong enough.
<===Lefty===

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Was just looking over those boards and think 2 of the .75 x 1.5" x 8 ' boards would be plenty strong enough.

Was thinking the same thing ..

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Any ideas on how to attach a tarp to the side of the jet sled? I was thinking of gluing the tarp to a 1x2 and then screwing that to the sled.
<===Lefty===

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Any ideas on how to attach a tarp to the side of the jet sled? I was thinking of gluing the tarp to a 1x2 and then screwing that to the sled.

Could do what most ice shelters companies do ..little rubber striping and pinch it to the side fold of the jet sled . It may stay on its own or could use self tappers through rubber /tarp/ jet sled .

http://www.shappell.com/images/FX150_Assembly_Instructions_rev0816.pdf

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Hey thanks I never thought about using rubber stripping. I would use my spray adhesive with that.
<===Lefty===

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Hey thanks I never thought about using rubber stripping. I would use my spray adhesive with that.

Not sure you need adhesive ..
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Gluing tarps can be tricky as most are made from polyethylene and very few glues stick to it. Notice that many glues come in plastic bottles! ;D
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
The adhesive I bought is Loctite It bonds to Wood, Metal, Acrylic, Foam, Fabric, Polypropylene ad PVC. So I think it will help.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
hardwater diehard, I was checking around for rubber stripping and that stuff is expensive. On the other hand a bicycle  tube is cheap. Might go that way. I have to go pick up my sled today. I dread that drive. It is 65 miles away and the wife is sick so traveling alone makes it even longer.
<===Lefty===

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Hmmmm ...what tubing are you looking at? ..I was thinking along the lines of some vinyl fish tank tubing or some rubber windshield wiper hose or fuel line and cut a slit in either one . Also using some dollar store binder clips as you get things in place will help greatly. Soaking the tubing in hot water may help as will a heat gun or hair dryer.

https://www.dollartree.com/bulk/Metal-Binder-Clips

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Hmmmm ...what tubing are you looking at? ..I was thinking along the lines of some vinyl fish tank tubing or some rubber windshield wiper hose or fuel line and cut a slit in either one . Also using some dollar store binder clips as you get things in place will help greatly. Soaking the tubing in hot water may help as will a heat gun or hair dryer.

https://www.dollartree.com/bulk/Metal-Binder-Clips
Again some good ideas. I used to own 30 aquariums but long ago. I will find something along the lines of the wiper hose. The Rubber stripping I was looking at is commercial stuff. I might even have some Vacuum line hose out there somewhere. I think I might have some weather stripping out in my shed. The kind that is sticky on one side for windows.
<===Lefty===

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
On my old HT Polar Escape ..the tent had a series of grommets and  it was cinched to the the tubs via rope/cord .

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
On my old HT Polar Escape ..the tent had a series of grommets and  it was cinched to the the tubs via rope/cord .
Now that made me think. I found this on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-8812-Grommet-Kit/dp/B0000CCV54/ref=asc_df_B0000CCV54/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167153962525&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14975682057303154961&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029168&hvtargid=pla-334685945474&psc=1

Think I will get this and use the rope trick. Just put several down each side of the sled and call it good. Easy to do and I found cheap tarps to use in Black.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.