Author Topic: Fatfish 949 2013  (Read 1214 times)

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
Fatfish 949 2013
« on: Jan 10, 2013, 10:29 PM »
Anybody got this Fatfish 949 hut? Just wondering if they addressed the issues they had.
 Thanks
  Matt

Offline Aaronl41

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Fatfish 949 2013
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2013, 12:12 AM »
I picked up one a couple weeks ago and have used it a few times so far.  The bag is still junk, and the stiching on the pull handles on the hub eye bolts is terrible.  I've broke the stitching on two of the pull handles so far.  It wasn't really a big deal though as I just tied the two ends together and put them back on the eye bolts.  The end of the poles where they go into the hub seem to be a ball and socket design and I've hand no issues with them so far.  Mine seems to sit level on the floor and the poles by the doors are straight not bent like the older units.  All in all I think they fixed most of the issues.  I did also notice that the velcro on the windows don't line up the best with the velcro around the opening.  It's not bad and seals fine, it just don't line up perfectly.

Offline nbaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2013, 07:10 AM »
Still haven't used mine on the ice yet, hadn't been cold enough yet but I think that will change by the end of the weekend!

Offline Aaronl41

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2013, 10:21 PM »
Had mine out again today and again had no issues.  It was -1 outside and me and my buddy were in our t-shirts fishing with only a sunflower heater and a clam fan/light.  The wind was blowing pretty hard and we had one wall pop in on us within 5 minuets of when we started so we had to screw an anchor in for that wall.  Was the first anchor I've put in and it was extremely easy to get started in the ice.  No condensation dripping on us, but the walls were frosting up about 1/3 to 1/2 the way up from the ice.  Good unit I would recommend it to anyone.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2013, 12:40 AM »
Did you get the 949 or the 949i? I just bought the 949 at Farm&Fleet for $189.99. The bag is pretty light weight but seems to fit okay.
 Thanks
  Matt

Had mine out again today and again had no issues.  It was -1 outside and me and my buddy were in our t-shirts fishing with only a sunflower heater and a clam fan/light.  The wind was blowing pretty hard and we had one wall pop in on us within 5 minuets of when we started so we had to screw an anchor in for that wall.  Was the first anchor I've put in and it was extremely easy to get started in the ice.  No condensation dripping on us, but the walls were frosting up about 1/3 to 1/2 the way up from the ice.  Good unit I would recommend it to anyone.

Offline veedo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2013, 01:16 PM »
hey guys, just picked up a 949i and am somewhat impressed but it does have issues, I am wondering if I just got a blem or if you guys notice the same things.  one corner of the snow flap wasn't sewn to the shack, so rather than packing everything up and sending it back, the wife stitched it up.  the brass ring anchor points on the shack are mashed and pulling out of the fabric after one set up.  the two outside walls facing the wind had to be anchored down also, because even a slight wind was popping the walls in.  I can live with the walls needing to be anchored and the corner needing to be sewn, but the darn rings pulling out on the first trip chaps me.  I like the shack but there are some definite quality issues.  this is the 2013 updated version too.  you guys notice your rings pulling out?  do you anchor them from the inside or out?  nice site you have here.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2013, 01:38 PM »
I bought the 949 and took it back. After having a clam Bigfoot and seeing how well it was made IMO the 949 is just not made as heavy duty as the clam is again IMO. I would recommend if u want that size in thermal look at the Clam Bigfoot XL 4000. It is super nice and very well made. It has anchor points on the inside that I used and never had problems in the wind. The only thing I didn't like about it was it weighs 42 lbs which is a lot when u walk out to the ice.
Good luck
Matt

Offline nbaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2013, 03:15 PM »
I used my 949 last weekend for the first time, I wasn't super impressed but it was definitely nicer than sitting out in the wind.  It went in and out of the bag easily.  Set up was smooth.  The wind was blowing any where from 25 to 35 mph, I anchored 2 of the 4 sides and covered the snowflap with snow/slush and didn't have any problems all day.  I had my buddy heater going in there, it did cause condinsation on the ceiling and it dripped on the seam where the roof met the side walls.  So I'm first going to try the clam fan/light combo to circulate the warm air and if that doesn't work I'm going to find some of that reflective material to line the roof.  All in all I'm satisified with the purchase because I picked it up on clearance last year for only $160.

Offline veedo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2013, 06:23 PM »
looks like the clam is sold out at reeds and the cheapest I see it online for now is at cabelas for 320 plus tax and shipping.  does anyone have any pictures of what the clam anchor points look like in the 4000t?  I may just end up modifying the 949 to make it work.  sucks buying new gear and having to mess with it, never fails.  but it shouldn't be too bad to stitch in some heavier eyelets for the anchor points, then I think it should be good.  almost hate to have anything heavier than this to carry it on the back.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2013, 07:06 PM »
Check sportsman guide. I did a review when I had the 4000. Do a search on iceshaties site and u will find it. It does suck to buy something new then have to fix it.
Good luck
Matt

Offline Danmoeller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2013, 10:25 PM »
I got a 949i a couple weeks ago and love it. Honestly the only bad part is the bag. It works but sucks when you just buy something and feel like you wanna keep it new but you have to be so fragile with the bag. Other than that it rocks even though it hasn't found many fish.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2013, 10:43 AM »
How warm is the 949i without a heater running in it?

Offline Danmoeller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2013, 05:06 PM »
It really depends on if you have snow to seal the skirt of it and how windy it is. I have a big buddy heater and usually only leave it on low so I'm sure you could getaway with something small if you can pack snow around it so the wind doesn't get in.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.