Author Topic: Deadstick?  (Read 7079 times)

Offline Adam Bomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Walleye Fanatic
Deadstick?
« on: Feb 18, 2008, 12:03 PM »
Hey guys, we've been running into allot of finicky walleyes as of late. Ive been messing around with a deadstick without any luck at all.

Ive been running 4# flurocarbon with a #12 treble hook with/without a soft glow bead or a #8 circle hook, along with a couple split shot about 12-15" above it anchor the rig. Ive been setting the minnow with my vexilar anywheres from 6"-2' off bottom. Most fish i have been catching jigging are on bottom, so i thought the deadstick would be killer down there...ecspecially with their finicky mood as of late. Ive tried a few different sized minnows ranging from smaller perch minnows to larger shiners that id used for pike. Been skin hooking them near the dorsal fin. Theyre nice and lively, so im not killing them. Ive been running a slip float on the rig as well. The float is pretty small and the tip is just barrely sticking out of the water. It takes very little resistance to pull it under. Infact, if the minnow gets really active it can pull it under a bit. So far not a fish on it...did have one yank the bobber under and get my bait though.

Is there anything im doing wrong or should do differently?

Ive also been playing around with the idea of putting a bell sinker on the bottom of the rig with a barrel swivel free sliding on the mainline with a short leader to the minnow. That would allow the minnow to swim freely up and down the line...but the final rig is still in the works.
Get your MOJO rising.
Adam

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Deadstick?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2008, 05:39 PM »
I have most of my luck about 3 feet off the bottom. Walleye feed up not down, so you always wanna be above them. It sounds like your doing everything right, but i would try fishing higher than 2'

Offline fishybill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • insidious
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2008, 01:12 PM »
I run the smallest shot I can get away with less than a foot up from the hook.  But I run the minnow up off bottom quite a bit.  sometimes about halfway down in the water column.  I don't use a swivel either because I've had too many tangles with the leader and the split shot. 
Its a great rig and I've caught almost every species on it.  I dont' use a treble however I use a #6 bleeding single shank hook. 
"Put duct tape on that, if it don't fix it atleast we'll know its ...... up"

Offline wallyboss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2008, 09:30 AM »
I setup a dropshot rig when I use a deadstick. I just use the smallest weight possible.
When Hell freezes over !!!!  I'll be there icefishing!!!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2008, 10:07 AM »
I have started to lip hook the bait and using gum ball jigs for weight. so far just for trout with success.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline fishwiz4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Playin' Hooky in my new X2!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2008, 03:47 PM »
Hey guys, we've been running into allot of finicky walleyes as of late. Ive been messing around with a deadstick without any luck at all.

Ive been running 4# flurocarbon with a #12 treble hook with/without a soft glow bead or a #8 circle hook, along with a couple split shot about 12-15" above it anchor the rig. Ive been setting the minnow with my vexilar anywheres from 6"-2' off bottom. Most fish i have been catching jigging are on bottom, so i thought the deadstick would be killer down there...ecspecially with their finicky mood as of late. Ive tried a few different sized minnows ranging from smaller perch minnows to larger shiners that id used for pike. Been skin hooking them near the dorsal fin. Theyre nice and lively, so im not killing them. Ive been running a slip float on the rig as well. The float is pretty small and the tip is just barrely sticking out of the water. It takes very little resistance to pull it under. Infact, if the minnow gets really active it can pull it under a bit. So far not a fish on it...did have one yank the bobber under and get my bait though.

Is there anything im doing wrong or should do differently?

Ive also been playing around with the idea of putting a bell sinker on the bottom of the rig with a barrel swivel free sliding on the mainline with a short leader to the minnow. That would allow the minnow to swim freely up and down the line...but the final rig is still in the works.

this sounds good, but when you set the hook, you are going to have 5" of slack if the minnow swam 5" up the line.  could be worse if the minnow swam higher yet.

eagles may fly....but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines

Offline icontact

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2008, 08:44 PM »
I have most of my luck about 3 feet off the bottom. Walleye feed up not down, so you always wanna be above them. It sounds like your doing everything right, but i would try fishing higher than 2'

Actually I have some of my best luck with the jig (walleye flyer) and minnow sitting right on the bottom, with a small 1 to 2 inch jig every few minutes, but leave the jig right on  botttom while at rest.
I gotta chubby

Offline big Monkey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2008, 04:59 PM »

i dunno if your doing it right, if your not catching fish, your probably not. If dead sticking doesn't work jig em slow,
either way move around a lot till you find the fish. dont always use minnows some times other stuff will
work better.

Offline coltons dad

• IceShanty Rookie
  • can you put a chimney in my shack?
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2009, 11:10 AM »
havent done that well one the dead stix either. i have mine only a couple of feet away from where im jigging and only a few fish. i hear that its better during the dead of winter. ill keep using it though, its one more rod out there to get hit.
born to fish; forced to work.
all fisherman lie alittle, its just in us.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.