Author Topic: Walleye Gear?  (Read 5625 times)

Offline ceo32312

• Team IceShanty Regular
Walleye Gear?
« on: Jan 11, 2006, 09:07 PM »
Well guys, what would your recommend for my tackel box..any must have baits?

CEO

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
Re: Walleye Gear?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2006, 01:30 PM »
I've heard some must haves are chubby darters and jigging rapalas although I don't think these remain as effective throughout the winter as the fish become less aggressive. I have neither because I'm cheap, I just use jigs with a live minnow most of the time and have yet to be skunked this year fishing for walleye. Trout have owned me so far this year though.
pour me another one, I'm finished with the other one

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2006, 10:06 PM »
I am cheap also untill it comes to fishing or hunting gear.  I would have a few jiggin' raps, swedish pimples, and some stinger hooks.  Buckshot spoons and little cleos also take their share of walleye through the ice.  Oh yha and don't forget a few vibee's. 
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline ceo32312

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2006, 09:54 AM »
what are the best stinger hooks to go with?
CEO

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2006, 03:29 PM »
Chubby Darters are a must if you fish for walleyes. A picture, or just looking at one, doesn't do them justice. The action on one of these beauties is unmatched to anything I have ever seen.
Thanks Slipbob :bow:
Worth every penny ;D
I myself am not cheap when it comes to treating myself to hunting or fishing, if you ever do either, you can tell 8)

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2006, 04:19 PM »
I've heard some must haves are chubby darters and jigging rapalas although I don't think these remain as effective throughout the winter as the fish become less aggressive.

In my experience they are more effective as the season wears on.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2006, 06:02 PM »
In my experience they are more effective as the season wears on.

Exactly. These lures earn their merit when the fishing gets tough. :)

Offline Ashnohgrimbatul

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2006, 07:51 PM »
I'm still not sold on the chubby's either.....but based on the hype and the number of recommendations they must work, so I have a couple in my box.  Could be I'm not fishing them right...anyhow, I have no confidence in them, so they don't get used too much.

My goto lures are whistler jigs, thumper jigs, jiggin raps, pimples and buckshots.
Let there be ice.

Offline ceo32312

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2006, 09:09 PM »
what are the best sizes?
CEO

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2006, 11:12 PM »
I would go with any of the lures mentoned above in the 1/4 to 3/8 oz range. The 3/8 oz chubby darter is 2 inches long. You need a lure that is light enough for the walleye to suck it in with out too much effort, but heavy enough to get to the bottom. :tipup:

WW

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2006, 07:12 AM »
Hey guys....I'm not trying to be a smart azz here, but I've not done much (any) fishing for walleyes through the ice and am planning on doing so this year.  I've been reading the threads about 6 pound test line, #12 treble hooks, etc and understand the logic of using lighter tackle versus pike, but my question is this........

what would you guys be using this type of gear on as far as walleye size is concerned?  There's a very definite chance I can be getting into some of the eyes in the 6-12 pound class (no joke), I'm up on the tribs of Lake Ontario, Chaumont Bay, etc and am curious if this is the recommended gear needed for eyes this size...only reason I ask is that it seems a #12 hook is kind of small for this size fish.  I know I can play them in on the lighter line, but can I expect good hooksets with fish this big and hooks this small?  If not, what would you guys recommend I use in the line of hoooks, etc?

One thing I did not see on any of the threads concerning this tackle you guys are using for eyes is the size eyes you're using this tackle on.  I'm curious and really need some help with this one, as soon as the deep cold sets in I'm planning a night trip to find these guys.  For jigging I'm planning on the rapala lures tipped with a minnow, but is the tackle I've been reading about on the threads big (strong) enough for using on the tip ups??  Help me out here, cause I don't know.....
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

billybono

« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2006, 03:36 PM »
There's a very definite chance I can be getting into some of the eyes in the 6-12 pound class (no joke), I'm up on the tribs of Lake Ontario, Chaumont Bay, etc and am curious if this is the recommended gear needed for eyes this size...only reason I ask is that it seems a #12 hook is kind of small for this size fish. 

you never hooked into a monster lake ontario steelhead on a #18 fly?

billybono

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2006, 03:44 PM »
BB..no I haven't had the opportunity.  I was serious in my question though and not trying to be a smart azz, I know that eye's have got bony old mouths and I've seen what a large pike can do to a 2/ 0 treble, so I was curious.....I understand bringing in fish much heavier than the line test, but on a tip up, how do you go about setting the hook on a large wally with that light test line and small hook?  If I were using 6 pound test like I've read about, wouldn't that take an excessive amount of undue strain if I was setting the hook on a 12#er?  Somebody help me out cause I really want to go after these guys but I would like to have the right gear for the  hogs I'm targeting.....

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2006, 06:14 PM »
I fish Erie for eyes and large fish like you are talking about are a possiblity.  I have never caught a monster but they average 20"-26" and I have seen probably a 1/2 dozen over 10lbs. brought in on this type of gear.  I have never had one bend a hook or break my 8lb test line.  I have brought in quite a few on a stinger hook....not sure of the hook size but they are pretty small and have never ad a problem with those either.  Hope this helps.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2006, 06:18 PM »
It does help...thanks for the input...I didn't want to go out there undergunned and find out I was bringing a knife to a gunfight so to speak.....

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2006, 08:07 PM »
Walleye are not particularly known as tackle busters...you can go fairly light with them...

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2006, 10:54 PM »
I hear yha.....I always try and bring a gun to a knifefight if possible.  Good luck on the eyes, looks like we are gonna be S.O.L. on the big lake

Offline Strike Lead

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oakland, Maryland
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2006, 07:08 PM »
On a tip-up I use black braided line with 2' of leader. Split shot at the swivel.
8 lb. Spiderwire - clear. #6 red hook. Very good knot. Fathead. It's worked wonders for me for 30+ years. Only new additions have been the red hook and the spiderwire. I used 10 lb. Stren for decades. The walleye don't care....when they're hitting.

On dark days jigging with a tiny minnow on a silver Pimple is good for walleye. On sunny days, a Nils or darter is good.
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.  ~Koos Brandt

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2006, 07:21 PM »
Strikelead....do you feel all this is necessary for nighttime fishing eyes as well??  The mono I'd say yes to, just curious about hook colors, etc......will be in between 24-30 fow....

Offline Strike Lead

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oakland, Maryland
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2006, 04:40 PM »
The red hook may be a superstition but......

One day while trout fishing I switched to some new red hooks. The fishing was noticebly better. Have had great success ever since.

River fishing for smallmouth was the same. I went Salmon fishing in Pulaski, NY and guess what.....the guide was using my red hooks. Did very well.

I switched a few of my tip ups over to red. My friends and I have noticed that they are hitting over 2 to one better than regular hooks. I recently caught a 7 lb walleye on a #6 red hook.

I now use all red hooks. Just the way I feel.

I recently fished at night and afetr the walleye run at sun down, I caught a few largemouth on the red hook.

I fished Devils Lake, ND last Easter and they concentrated on walleye only at sunup and sundown. Then, they changed gear. Seems like they go dormant or something after that. I have not caught many walleye in the dark in my experiences.

And, the red hook thing........well?

I've always used cheap, heavy, black braided nylon for tips. I can see it on the ice and it's great to work with in the extreme cold. It doesn't get nicked up and therefore I feel confident that my line isn't going to have a break. I have run out of leader before and caught walleye on black #20 lb tied directly to a hook. The big ones don't seem to mind about the big line.

Semper Fi Esox..........Quantico '69-'75
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.  ~Koos Brandt

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2006, 07:22 PM »
Semper Fi, Strikelead.....now another dumb question.  In going for the walleye at night, a buddy has one of those small generators up here, a 1500 watt job or right in that area.  One of us had the brain cramp to take that and a set of those quartz halogen stand lights and set them up to see the flags rather than rigging lights, using lanterns, etc.  I know setting the generator on shore would be ideal, but what do you think of taking this thing out on the ice?  It runs quiet, but would the vibration carry down through a foot or more of ice and disrupt the fishing?

I really don't know, and I can't say I've ever heard of this being done, but it would be cheaper to use this than to buy those lights for each flag, or the light sticks, and easier to set up than lanterns all over the place.....maybe it's a dumb idea, I'm hoping some people on here can help me out.  (I told you guys earlier I'd never fished 'eyes through the ice)......

Offline natas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2006, 07:34 PM »
worms

Offline Strike Lead

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oakland, Maryland
« Reply #22 on: Feb 01, 2006, 02:13 PM »
Glow tape. One strip on the flag another on the top of the tip. Quick flashlight sweep and those tips shine. Two lights together the tip in still down. Two lights apart and you know if the flag is up. Headlamp.

Works great. You can jig with the light from a heater or a lantern.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 01, 2006, 04:21 PM »
Thanks, StrikeLead,....(I wondered about the name until you mentioned Quantico, then I knew what the name was all about)   I'll get some of the glow tape.......Semper Fi.........

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.