Author Topic: Bantam Lake  (Read 8357 times)

Offline jughead34

• IceShanty Rookie
Bantam Lake
« on: Jan 13, 2020, 09:41 AM »
Looking for some help!!  I am from Pittsfield, Ma supposed to headed to Bantam on 1/25 and tented a house with some fellow ice fisherman.  Anyone familiar with lake think we will be able to fish. It supposed to get cold and I am not familiar with lake. I was out on Onota here in Berkshires yesterday and it went from 8 inches to 4 overnight. I appreciate any insight , I dont want to lose $ by going up on no or unsafe ice. Kids are coming with us and I typically feel comfortable fishing 4 inches at minimum.   Thanks guys  Tight lines!!!

Offline BDailey

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bantam Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2020, 10:04 AM »
Hi Jughead, prior to this past weekends heat wave there were a few people out icefishing on south cove. At that time there was maybe 4” of ice. Since then with the 65 degree days back to back sat/Sunday and rain its definitely shot. As far as some colder weather coming in by this weekend it won’t be safe or at least I wouldn’t risk it. Most lakes in CT are unsafe for icefishing or nonexistent all together. If you do plan  on fishing bantam I would bring a boat all kidding aside.
“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”
“A spudbar is your best friend.”

Offline jughead34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2020, 10:08 AM »
Thanks I appreciate it

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2020, 10:55 AM »
A lot of factors here but if you're not going to be there until the 25th I would assume there would be safe ice by then. A lot of cold weather coming our way  :tipup:
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline BDailey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2020, 11:14 AM »
Ravo makes a great point, with the cold coming in it may quite possibly be safe ice by 1/25. Something to consider. Bantam makes ice rather quick.

Offline ESOX FIX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2020, 06:39 PM »
bantam is wide open, gonna need some real cold and perfect conditions to make 4" in ten days.

Offline icemansect

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2020, 06:55 PM »
With the cold days coming there will be ice bg mid week next week

Offline BDailey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2020, 07:02 PM »
I like your optimism iceman.  😁

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2020, 07:07 PM »
bantam is wide open, gonna need some real cold and perfect conditions to make 4" in ten days.

...need no wind too.  I've seen 4" form on LG in March so you never know.  I never thought 30 mile long lake would freeze in March but it did.

Offline jughead34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2020, 09:40 AM »
Fingers crossed and hope for the best. I really appreciate the responses. Kids are driving me nuts in hopes that we can fish.  Its a annual trip and first time to Bantam.

Offline jughead34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2020, 03:33 PM »
Any ice yet🙏🤞

Offline ESOX FIX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2020, 05:35 PM »
open water, should cap tonight.

Offline jughead34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2020, 05:40 PM »
Fishable by Saturday do you think?

Offline ESOX FIX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2020, 06:22 PM »
i can see a few inches by Thursday am but above average temps by weeks end aren't good for a few inches of black ice.

Offline icemansect

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2020, 08:32 PM »
Suppose to be below up that way

Offline ESOX FIX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2020, 04:36 AM »
highs in the mid 40's on Thursday and Friday are not below average. wind blew all night gonna be tough to get to 4".

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fishon and often. Leave no trace.
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2020, 06:34 AM »
North and South Bay have ice. Didn’t measure when I looked yesterday, but it can’t be too thick.
If you can't play nice, get off the ice!

Offline jughead34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2020, 08:02 AM »
Once again appreciate the updates. Trying to hold off on decision until tomorrow. Do not want to waste $ and not be able to fish.  Plenty of ice here in western mass.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2020, 08:54 AM »
Just curious why you would come to Bantam from Western MA?  Not only plenty of ice but better fishing IMO.  Don't get me wrong...I like Bantam, but the big 3 up there just offer more.

Offline jughead34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2020, 09:08 AM »
Just to get away with kids for weekend. We try a different lake every year. I am usually on Onota or Pontosaac.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2020, 11:06 AM »
 :thumbsup:

Offline eddied

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2020, 05:55 PM »
     jan 23                 bantam south bay  4 inches slow day two flags 1 calico 4 other groups out

Offline bmalchoff16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2020, 12:27 PM »
Any updates on ice conditions at Bantam? Thanks!

Offline androux

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2020, 06:02 PM »
The whole lake is locked up, but the ice looks dicey, I saw a few groups on south bay Monday, I heard people were out in north bay this week, they took a hike on the trail, but I have seen no evidence of activity on the main lake or around point folly. The ice boats are still wrapped up at the campground, if the captains of those things aren't getting ready, with this cocktail glass ice, I'd say the main lake is still very questionable. Also new signs at the Litchfield boat launch saying, "If you are ice fishing and don't have a town permit, you WILL be ticketed." New sign, was not there in the fall, just a heads up. Less and less access to Bantam.
A smart person would watch the few that ventured to the ice sheet, the daring would follow in their boot prints, but the pioneers would already be heading to where they belong.

Offline ajfitzg4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2020, 07:09 PM »
I don’t mean to hijack this thread but what’s this about a permit to fish Bantam?

If you are in MA I’d stay north with this weather. 

Offline Hammertime-IceCube

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Danbury Fish & Game Association
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2020, 07:25 PM »
Are you referring to the white memorial or folly point  launch on bantam when you refer to “Litchfield launch”?

The whole lake is locked up, but the ice looks dicey, I saw a few groups on south bay Monday, I heard people were out in north bay this week, they took a hike on the trail, but I have seen no evidence of activity on the main lake or around point folly. The ice boats are still wrapped up at the campground, if the captains of those things aren't getting ready, with this cocktail glass ice, I'd say the main lake is still very questionable. Also new signs at the Litchfield boat launch saying, "If you are ice fishing and don't have a town permit, you WILL be ticketed." New sign, was not there in the fall, just a heads up. Less and less access to Bantam.

Offline androux

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 29, 2020, 09:48 PM »
Litchfield boat launch, in north bay, near the summer camp, edges were kicked as of weds, at the town of Litchfield boat launch, not town of Morris, which is closed, or the state boat launch. Didn't check those.
A smart person would watch the few that ventured to the ice sheet, the daring would follow in their boot prints, but the pioneers would already be heading to where they belong.

Offline Billboy66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 30, 2020, 07:09 AM »
I saw this too last Saturday. Had two separate groups approach us to ask about it and I had no idea.

Offline Hammertime-IceCube

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Danbury Fish & Game Association
« Reply #28 on: Jan 30, 2020, 09:38 AM »
Litchfield boat launch, in north bay, near the summer camp, edges were kicked as of weds, at the town of Litchfield boat launch, not town of Morris, which is closed, or the state boat launch. Didn't check those.

Thank you for this intel

Offline TT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 30, 2020, 10:33 AM »
Both Morris Beach and the Litchfield Launch recreation area have new signs saying no parking unless you have the proper town parking permit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.