Author Topic: Finally a decent looking forecast  (Read 2803 times)

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
Finally a decent looking forecast
« on: Jan 10, 2020, 10:54 AM »
Hopefully I'm not jynxing anything by posting this but it looks like starting next Thursday night we're gonna have at least a week of solid ice making temperatures. Barely above freezing and low teens at night. I know there's always a "January thaw" but this has been getting ridiculous
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Finally a decent looking forecast
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2020, 11:35 AM »
Hopefully I'm not jynxing anything by posting this but it looks like starting next Thursday night we're gonna have at least a week of solid ice making temperatures. Barely above freezing and low teens at night. I know there's always a "January thaw" but this has been getting ridiculous

I like your last line....sad....but funny the way you wrote it.   :clap:

Offline NEPats33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2020, 12:22 PM »
you just jynxed it for sure

Offline BDailey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2020, 12:25 PM »
I was thinking the same thing, it looks promising.Can’t remember the last winter we had that was this mild and erratic. Maybe 2004-2005 or so? Let’s keep our fingers crossed that we get consistent cold to lock things up again before the spring thaw.
“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”
“A spudbar is your best friend.”

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2020, 12:27 PM »
I was thinking the same thing, it looks promising.Can’t remember the last winter we had that was this mild and erratic. Maybe 2004-2005 or so? Let’s keep our fingers crossed that we get consistent cold to lock things up again before the spring thaw.

For us here in the SE it is every year in the past decade except 2015 lol.

Offline icemansect

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2020, 01:56 PM »
Looking good in long range

Offline Penn920

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2020, 06:22 AM »
Hopefully the snowstorm on Saturday doesn't happen or the amounts drop back 2-4"... that cold air behind it will be wasted if not  :'(

Offline icemansect

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2020, 06:51 AM »
The snow wouldn't do much to the ice that's not there its the backside that gonna get cold

Offline Penn920

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2020, 07:33 AM »
The snow wouldn't do much to the ice that's not there its the backside that gonna get cold

The two nights Thursday and Friday night could be enough to freeze over most lakes in CT so 1/2" of ice then 6-10" of snow worst case scenario. Hoping they stay open until after the snow though then by following weekend many places will be ready to go

Offline icemansect

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2020, 07:46 AM »
The two nights Thursday and Friday night could be enough to freeze over most lakes in CT so 1/2" of ice then 6-10" of snow worst case scenario. Hoping they stay open until after the snow though then by following weekend many places will be ready to go

Where do you see 6 to 10 of snow

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2020, 08:14 AM »
Enfield currently says 3-5 during the day and 1-3 overnight. Still pretty far out to tell for sure but I'm not too worried. It's looking like a solid week and a half of good temperatures and beginning of next week had single digits overnight. That's gonna make ice regardless of snow cover or not

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline icemansect

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2020, 09:40 AM »
Looks like the entire state has alot of potential here

Offline PIKEASORIS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2020, 09:17 PM »
Going up to Maine next week can't stand the wait again another year for 4 inches of safe ice for 3 weeks in February of fishing. I hope when I get back we can jack some jaw. Heading to North Pond in Smithfield Maine for pike

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2020, 10:15 AM »
The predicted snow totals for Sat. keep dropping.

And the snow is going to followed by rain.....don't think this snow is going to be a major deterrent in the ice making process.  :tipup:

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2020, 09:29 AM »
Going up to Maine next week can't stand the wait again another year for 4 inches of safe ice for 3 weeks in February of fishing. I hope when I get back we can jack some jaw. Heading to North Pond in Smithfield Maine for pike

If you are serious about ice fishing that is how u have to think, travel north to find it. You also have better options for better fishing on larger lakes.  CT is not in the ice belt, can’t count on good ice here all season.   Good luck

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2020, 10:40 AM »
If you are serious about ice fishing that is how u have to think, travel north to find it. You also have better options for better fishing on larger lakes.  CT is not in the ice belt, can’t count on good ice here all season.   Good luck

Used to be able to, places I fished throughout my childhood havent been safe in 4-5 years, since the year we had 12+ inches and were fishing until almost april (2015?)

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2020, 01:49 PM »
The predicted snow totals for Sat. keep dropping.

And the snow is going to followed by rain.....don't think this snow is going to be a major deterrent in the ice making process.  :tipup:
I applaud your optimism.  But each day it gets a little harder to make ice if you're starting from nothing.  Seems the places that had ice can't even keep the edges.
Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fishon and often. Leave no trace.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2020, 04:34 PM »
19 degrees in New Milford and wind is settling down. Saw a small pond with a skim on ice on the way home.
If you can't play nice, get off the ice!

Offline ESOX FIX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2020, 05:29 PM »
19 degrees in New Milford and wind is settling down. Saw a small pond with a skim on ice on the way home.
not good with 6" of snow on the way.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2020, 07:44 PM »

9 degrees on top of iron mountain in Kent.  Blowing to 20 mph.  Froze bringing pellets in for the stove.  Mt Tom looked like a wave pool. 

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2020, 03:52 PM »
19 degrees right now in Enfield. There was a big group of guys playing hockey on a small local pond this afternoon when I went by. Couldn't believe it but they were there. Bring on the cold

-Ryan-

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2020, 09:32 AM »
I'm hoping by midweek that things will have firmed up enough to fish.

Supposed to get some single digit lows. ;D

Offline basssfishing22

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Smallmouth Bass Ice Fisherman
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2020, 10:57 AM »
I really hope that Candlewood gets a good freeze! It's my favorite place to jig up fish in CT! The Trout and Smallmouth fishing is awesome!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.