Author Topic: Outdoor Bait Tank Heater  (Read 2824 times)

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
Outdoor Bait Tank Heater
« on: Jan 06, 2020, 08:04 AM »
I was wondering what you guys are using to keep your outdoor bait tanks from freezing.  I have a plastic 55 gal drum and currently use a stock tank de-icer that is way too large for the tank.  It is 1250 watts when I should be using a 500 watt.  I was looking into getting a smaller one, but I'm not sure that this is the way to go.  They do a great job of keeping ice off the water, but the problem is they don't shut off until about 55 deg. or more.  I wan't to keep water at just above freezing.  What are you guys using?

BTW-I don't have a garage and am not building an insulated shed for it.  Moving it to the basement is also not an option.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Outdoor Bait Tank Heater
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2020, 08:37 AM »
You could add a line voltage thermostat similar to this https://www.grainger.com/product/JOHNSON-CONTROLS-Line-Volt-Mechanical-Tstat-20XJ46?cm_sp=Product_Details-_-Products_Based_on_Your_Search-_-IDPPLARECS&cm_vc=IDPPLARECS

It has a 20 Degrees to 80 Degrees F range and can be set for a 2 Degrees to 7 Degrees F differential range.  So it could be set to turn on at say 34 degrees and off at 36 degrees for example.  Not sure if this particular one will handle the amps you are drawing.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2020, 02:42 PM »
Thanks for the idea.  This sounds like it would work, but a little pricey considering I have less than that invested into the whole setup, lol.

Maybe an undersized aquarium heater?

Any other ideas?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2020, 03:03 PM »
Deadbait!

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2020, 03:08 PM »
You can also drop in an aquarium powerhead, some good water circulation will help to prevent freezing unless we got a long, deep cold snap.

Johnson temperature controllers and other homebrew-used controllers are another cheaper option similar to the one posted above:

https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/northern-brewer-dual-stage-temp-controller

They aren't weatherproof so you'd need to keep the controller itself inside a rubbermaid tub or something to keep it dry.
-Matt

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2020, 03:08 PM »
I think Dave is on the right track, if you search for aquarium thermostats there are many options for a bit less money than the model Dave suggested. Keep in mind the rated current for any thermostat, your 1250 watt would draw a touch over 10 amps.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2020, 03:11 PM »
Splokes is the type I had in mind, it's just a touch small for your 1250 watt heater.

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2020, 03:31 PM »
What about several (2-3) aquarium heaters?

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2020, 06:13 PM »
A 100-200w aquarium heater would probably do the trick, it would just run all the time unless you had it hooked to a temp controller.  Their internal thermostats usually only go down to about 65.  If you want to try one let me know, I probably have one floating around that you can have.
-Matt

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2020, 07:35 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Max-1200W-Temperature-Controller-Greenhouse/dp/B01HXM5UAC/ref=asc_df_B01HXM5UAC/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583451662988860&psc=1

I bought an Ink Bird duel controller. I have a chest freezer fort a holding tank, freezer plugs into cold side and small aquarium into heat side then plug ink bird in. Set temp to 40* and heat comes on at 38 and freezer turns on at 42. works great. You could just plug the heater in to the heat side and keep it at 40* +/- 2*.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Phishing.Hacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2020, 09:22 PM »
50 or 100 watt heater on timer set to run during the colder parts of the day works for me.

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2020, 09:26 AM »
I have a 100gal tank in a unheated building i use a aquarium heater for a 55gal tank if I set it for 75° it will keep the water at 35° during the worst cold snaps
Go big or go home

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2020, 09:48 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Max-1200W-Temperature-Controller-Greenhouse/dp/B01HXM5UAC/ref=asc_df_B01HXM5UAC/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583451662988860&psc=1

I bought an Ink Bird duel controller. I have a chest freezer fort a holding tank, freezer plugs into cold side and small aquarium into heat side then plug ink bird in. Set temp to 40* and heat comes on at 38 and freezer turns on at 42. works great. You could just plug the heater in to the heat side and keep it at 40* +/- 2*.

【Safety】Maximum output load: 1100W(110V).   The op is using a 1250 watt heater.  He may want to look for a similar controller rated for more wattage.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2020, 10:00 AM »
50 or 100 watt heater on timer set to run during the colder parts of the day works for me.

This is probably the most practical idea yet.  Use a timer to run the heater for a few hours a day, and there should be some sort of aeration in the tank anyway that will prevent the surface from skimming over and that should about do it.

The main issue the OP is going to run into is that getting a controller that will handle that kind of wattage just isn't going to be very cheap, unless you can find something used via ebay or something.
-Matt

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2020, 10:19 AM »
I have a 100 gal stock tank outside, under my back porch. I boxed it in and added a cover. all walls are insulated with 2" board insulation(I got lucky and someone was giving it away). I have a 500 watt heater with a built in thermostat for it that I have plugged into a timer. I set the timer for 1 hr every 6 hrs. I leave the lid slightly open so that the ammonia gases can escape. on "warm" sunny days, I open the lid up for the day and close it at night. I have only lost 2 shiners since October. 

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2020, 10:41 AM »
Thanks for all of the replies.  This is what I like about this forum - people sharing ideas and experiences to help out others.  While I am 46 years old and have been fishing religiously for 42 of them, I am fairly new to ice fishing.  I have learned so much from everybody on here that I would like to take a moment to thank the entire community.

Now then, I guess I should have been a little more detailed about my setup.  I have an EXTREMELY overpowered pool pump that goes to a 5 gallon bucket filter and an aerator in the barrel, as well.  It is more like a river than a bait tank, lol.  I only have a problem when the overnight low gets into single digits, so I won't need to use it much.  I am thinking I can turn it on before I go to bed when I know it will be that cold and turn it off in the am.

I was hoping somebody was using an aquarium heater, since I have a few laying around.  I just wasn't sure about the wattage vs the desired low temp and the size of my tank.  This is just the info I was looking for!  Thanks again for all the help and I am hoping to pay it forward when I can.

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2020, 10:03 AM »
Thanks for all of the replies.  This is what I like about this forum - people sharing ideas and experiences to help out others.  While I am 46 years old and have been fishing religiously for 42 of them, I am fairly new to ice fishing.  I have learned so much from everybody on here that I would like to take a moment to thank the entire community.

Now then, I guess I should have been a little more detailed about my setup.  I have an EXTREMELY overpowered pool pump that goes to a 5 gallon bucket filter and an aerator in the barrel, as well.  It is more like a river than a bait tank, lol.  I only have a problem when the overnight low gets into single digits, so I won't need to use it much.  I am thinking I can turn it on before I go to bed when I know it will be that cold and turn it off in the am.

I was hoping somebody was using an aquarium heater, since I have a few laying around.  I just wasn't sure about the wattage vs the desired low temp and the size of my tank.  This is just the info I was looking for!  Thanks again for all the help and I am hoping to pay it forward when I can.

Aquarium heaters are going to be tough, because they are designed to be used in tanks that are in a room temperature environment, and their thermostats are in a range specific to most tropical fish, generally between 65-85.  I'm betting an aquarium heater would work just fine, it would just take some trial and error with a timer to figure out how often/how long it needs to run to prevent ice, and even that would vary greatly with the ambient outside temperature.

You can also put a ball valve on your pump outlet if you want/need to reduce the flow, without harming the pump.  The pump will actually draw less power if it's moving less water.  Just don't put any restriction on the inlet side of the pump, that can lead to cavitation and CAN harm the pump.

I've been a pretty serious tropical fish/aquarium hobbyist for a long time so I've played a lot of these riddles before with stock tanks, large aquariums, multiple tanks on a shared filter, etc.
-Matt

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2020, 10:04 AM »
You should be good with the aquarium heater i haven't had to turn mine on tet this year
Go big or go home

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2020, 02:26 PM »
Aquarium heater will run non stop and burn out before long in my experience. also have had multiple heaters leak somewhere and after a while will actually send a shock up your hand when you dip your hand in the tank!
I went to hydroplonic store and bought a water pump for a garden. it is a submersible pump. it runs water through pvc pipe, to a spray bar, then up to a igloo water jug (sports game gatorade jug) that is set up as a "swirl" filter.
the pump gives off a decent amount of heat just from running, and i have so much water flow, it just wont freeze...works for me!
btw, this is about a 40-50 gallon system between chest freezer and water cooler(filter)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2020, 03:24 PM »
You should be good with the aquarium heater i haven't had to turn mine on tet this year

You keep some nice baits alive!

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2020, 03:37 PM »
Aquarium heater will run non stop and burn out before long in my experience. also have had multiple heaters leak somewhere and after a while will actually send a shock up your hand when you dip your hand in the tank!
I went to hydroplonic store and bought a water pump for a garden. it is a submersible pump. it runs water through pvc pipe, to a spray bar, then up to a igloo water jug (sports game gatorade jug) that is set up as a "swirl" filter.
the pump gives off a decent amount of heat just from running, and i have so much water flow, it just wont freeze...works for me!
btw, this is about a 40-50 gallon system between chest freezer and water cooler(filter)

You only keep it plugged in until the ice is gone I've been using the same heater for 2 seasons this will be my 3rd
Go big or go home

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2020, 05:19 AM »
Just to loop back around...I went with a 100W aquarium heater and it's working great. Had it plugged in all weekend and no ice in the tank. It doesn't get much above freezing either. Thanks again for the input.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.