Author Topic: Yellowknife fishing charters  (Read 2033 times)

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
Yellowknife fishing charters
« on: Nov 06, 2013, 11:51 AM »
Planning a trip up there to visit my best buddy in the army next august, looking to charter a boat for a day or two to chase lakers.

Any recommendations on charters or easy access fishing spots for me to go to by myself? Or just even things to check out in general, I want to spend a couple days checking out the back country. I plan to spend 2 weeks up there.

Cheers!
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline heid_man243

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Yellowknife fishing charters
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2013, 01:53 PM »
Stay home. There's no lakers up here.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2013, 04:56 PM »
Getting lakers in August around Yellowknife is a little tough.
You need to get deep for them here. The East arm of the lake holds them fairly shallow still but it is 60 miles by boat to get there.
The lake I'm building my cabin on has good lakers and I do catch some in the summer but ice out and October are best for me.
There is lots of really good pike fishing though.
Plenty of lakes around town to shore fish and there are places in town to rent kayaks and canoes.
There are a couple of local guide outfits that do day trips you could look into as well.
Here's a list of local charter guides you can look into.
http://spectacularnwt.com/whattodo/fishing/daytrips

I should be around also and could probably get you out if you're nice.
  ;)2

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2013, 10:46 AM »
Hey thanks for the info guys, appreciate it. Any other trout or grayling within driving distance of yellowknife?
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline heid_man243

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2013, 01:36 PM »
Only two roads to drive, the Ingraham Trail and one south to Edmonton. The trail provides some access spots for lakes along it, but you would need some floating transportation to fish them. I only use a canoe, so it's possible to get fish and not have a motor boat. Plus, one portage and all the motor boats are behind you. The road to Edmonton mostly leaves good fishing territory, until you hit some larger rivers 3-8 hrs south of YK.

Grayling? Only in spring and early summer on the road south a few hours drive. There is a small run of fish in a creek about 5 mins out of town but fishing is closed on it. And that happens in late April, early May. Some guys have grayling luck in early summer from motor boats around the island of Great Slave, not too far from YK, but by August, the water is too warm.

I have people come visit and want to catch fish in August. It's tough. This entire Territory is set up for winter. Temps to -40 and 4-5 ft of ice. When the water gets "warm" in August, our peak water temp time, lots of things shut down. As Drifter said, there are still large lakes that keep their cold water through August, and that is where the best fishing will be. If you come up for a good time and to see some good country, and fish is just gravy, you will have a great time.

I've even caught pike in 50-60 ft of water trolling heavy weight and a spoon for lake trout in August.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.