Author Topic: Fish smokers ?  (Read 5551 times)

GEEMAN

Fish smokers ?
« on: Mar 01, 2003, 03:03 AM »
Looking for input on which of those littel smokers IYO is the best way to go. Electric , propane , charcoal ? Ease of use and stuff like that.

Thanks in advance ~~~~~ ><>

new2theice

Re: Fish smokers ?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2003, 03:46 AM »
l have a Weber charcoal smoker that is easy to use and am happy with the end results .... it sounds like it would be more work yet it really hasn't been a bother,  you just get your charcoal and chips ready,  your water pan and put in what your wanting smoked ... l will check it from time to time while its smoking (but thats mostly due to the fact that l'm antsy).
l've not been around the propane or electric ones, so l can not comment on them.    Hope this helps some ......

Offline water_wolf

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A water_wolf in sheepheads clothing
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2003, 04:39 AM »
In my experience, I would have to say that electric is the way to go.  It seems to have more of a cosistent heat control as is critical in some if not most smoking applications.
One word of advice if you buy a gas smoker......throw that piece of crap regulator that comes with it away and buy a good ne like a Rego 970 or comparable.  And one more thing, it helps to do your smoking in a heat controlled climate as opposed to a very cold environment unless your smoker is well insulated.
Rich Ferguson

Offline Gambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2003, 09:09 AM »
I have owned all 3 types and I like the electric the best,it is much easier to control the temp. By smoker do you mean the water smoker (the ones with the pan you fill with water) unless you intend to use it just to SMOKE COOK! chickens and turkeys I would suggest you buy a unit that is strictly a smoker. I have a Luhr Jensen big chief electric smoker and I love it, far better than the smoke cookers that I have owned. You can purchase these from Cabelas or Bass Pro for about 70-80 bucks or they also have more expesive units with more features. I use mine to make jerky,smoked salmon,smoked cheese,smoked eggs and bologna. I use mine all year I put it outside to smoke for an hour or so then I dump out the ashpan and bring it inside to finish cooking or drying my products. Works great and tastes great!!
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2003, 09:17 AM »
I agree with Waterwolf.  Electric is great for consistant heat, (which is very important.)  I have owned a POP GEER smoker for 14 years now, (similar to the Little Chief), and love it!  I generally smoke salmon 5 times a year and sometimes  jerky when lucky enough to stick a big critter.  I would advise ya to save the box the unit comes in however.  This box can be used as a heat blanket to keep the internal temputure up to par.  Most electric smokers come with 3 racks which don't produce a lot of finished product.  The additional racks will help!  Good Luck! ;D Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2003, 02:52 PM »
Elec is the way to go the only tough part is smoking in cold weather. Use mine for jerky, smoked salmon and rainbows yum makes my mouth water just thinking about it.   Fishercat

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2003, 03:57 PM »
I had a friend deliver a stainless steel milk cooler to my house several years ago.  It is about 18cu ft.  I use a small wood burning stove to do my meat and fish.  It is amazing, that when I flash it up, the neighbours know what is there.  There is a completely different odor to the smokehouse than what there is to a fireplace!!  I learned the meat and fish curing racket from my father, a German immigrant.  It is amazing what the neighbours and friends expect(and get) with a few wobbly pops and some help. ;D ;)  

GEEMAN

« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2003, 04:54 PM »
I was leaning towards the electric units from the get go and you've convinced me to go that route. My girlfriends dad is an old German Farm Boy from way back and I think he could smoke a turd and make it taste good !  LOL  Just have to loosen him up with a little brandy and get some inside info out of him now !
He used to have an old smoke house on the farm but went to using an old fridge he gutted out after he left the farm which worked great for many years.
I wanted somthing smaller than the fridge deal though and a little more idot proof.
Gander Mtn had/still has ? ( I hope ) the Luhr Jenson smokers on sale so I think I'll take and get one of those units.

CRIPES for some reason I'm hungry after readin all this. Hmmm ????    LOL

Thanks again all. Apreciate the info !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.