Author Topic: Digital Cameras For Ice Fishing  (Read 8043 times)

Ice_Spirit

Digital Cameras For Ice Fishing
« on: Dec 11, 2002, 05:41 PM »
Hey there fellow Ice Shanty members, I have a question that I need some help with here.  I would like to purchase a digital camera for taking pictures of my ice fishing trips so I would then be able to put them here in the Ice Shanty.  I've always used my regular film camera for taking pictures of my ice fishing adventures and there for cannot post on the computer, so I feel that I must take another giant leap foward in the world of technology and any info that you all could give me would greatly be appreciated such as brands, price, what I should look for in a camera and maybe even different features to look at.  Thanks to all in advance for any help that you can provide.  Until next time, take care and good luck this season. ;D  

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
Re: Digital Cameras For Ice Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2002, 09:22 AM »
Stephen if you have a scanner you can scan the pictures in and then you would be able to spend that money on gear.If you don't have a scanner I would look on the web under digital cameras.You should find alot of usefull info.One thing I do is to keep my camera in a case and place a handwarmer-the kind that lasts 8 hrs-in it.The camera functions much better than when it is cold.          LoneWolf
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2002, 09:45 AM »
Stephan,
Here is a great site for digital cameras.
http://www.steves-digicams.com
I use an HP 2.1 mega pixel camera for most of the shots you see on the site. I think it was $299 it's three years old so you should be able to get the same quality camera much cheaper now. :'(

-Scott
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2002, 01:36 PM »
I have a HP 318. I think it was replaced by the 320. $150 at Circuit City right now. I think there is free shipping too.

I really like it. Very good quality shots and a decent picture editor.

Offline Mark Barlow

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2002, 01:06 AM »
I usea cheap Poloroid PDC700 , got it last year I love it. Was around 100 bucks and came with software and cables, aslo has enough memory to take like 25 photos. It has  lcd screen so you can preview your pics and delete the ones you dont like making room for more.I use it year round for alll my fishing and I can't say enough good about it. It was well worth the investment. :)
Love those slab crappie, jumbo perch, and always love those bull sunfish. A.F.& A.M.

Offline bido

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rip some lips!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2002, 06:34 AM »
i bought some cheap e-vision 123 dig cam   it was like 99 bucks works good but in cold weather batts die fast!!!!!

BushMaster

« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2002, 11:10 AM »
I suggest you do a little research on features you want. For me, I wanted good quality and ease of use. I snagged a Canon A20 it cost about $400. Comes with an interface cable and software. The software is easy to use and you can do some cool stuff with your images. The camera is one thing, you need to make sure the software is user freindly.

Good Luck, hope to see you with pics of some real hogs soon..

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2002, 05:05 PM »
IceShanty had a good suggestion, www.steves-digicams.com is one of the best sites for camera reviews on the net.   Digital cameras are great for sportmen, I have a high end camera, bought two for gifts this christmas.  Casio has a new 2 mega pixel (great pictures 8 x 10 and vastly more than enough for postings) that is credit card size and about 3/8" thick.  Unbelievably small!  I always have my camera with me and have taken some great pictures of people catching "lunkers".  They are always extremely grateful for an e-mailed picture of themselves with the trophy.  A great digital camera is inexpensive today.  Canon makes some great inexpensive models, I like Olympus models....3x optical zoom is a good feature allowing easy composition of your subject.  Steve's digicams has a nice, "what to look for" section for new digital camera users.  Good luck and looking forward to seeing some of your future pics!  Hoppes
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Offline Norman Schrader

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2002, 05:35 PM »
Stephen,
I have used a Polaroid Funflash 640 for the last year and it has done well for me, although it is no longer available.  I have seen similar cameras on the market for $50-100.  It has a resolution of 640 X 480 which is nice for internet or E-mail because it doesn't create huge file size for photos.
There was a discussion on the General Forum last year that had a lot of good info ( currently it's on page 12).

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Norm
Norman J. Schrader

RSQCAL

« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2002, 08:47 AM »
I just recently purchased a Sony FD-75 Mavicas. Sony no longer makes this model but they can still be found. This camera is great for use on e-mails and downloads to your computer. It also has a 10x optical zoom. I especially like that it uses a floppy disk instead of a memory card. It is also nice that you don't need any special software to view your photos so it can be done from any computer. I found a great site to get yourself up to par on exactly what your looking for. It is www.shortcourses.com
It has info on camera's, styles of shooting, ect. There are little articles (courses) on just about anything you could think of to do with digital photography/cameras.  ::)

Ice_Spirit

« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2003, 02:28 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for the info you all gave me on cameras, I even did the short courses on them like you recommended.  I sure was a lot more informed after that and I then made the trip to the store and got me one, it is a Olympus D-380.  So far so good .  I took some pictures of my buddies and myself fishing the other day out on Big Island Pond in Derry, N.H.  I went and posted a few of them in the pictures section, I need to take closer pictures though, I guess better picture taking comes with time and I sure know that I'll have lots of practice with it this winter and you guys will then see some real quality photos.  Again I would like to thank you guys for the info.  Until next time, take care and good luck this season. ;D    

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.