Author Topic: Adding a Door to a Flip-Over?  (Read 2103 times)

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Adding a Door to a Flip-Over?
« on: Dec 05, 2012, 11:01 AM »
Got an old Clam Guide that serves me well.  However, I get tired of having to flip the front up to get in and out of it.  Thinking of taking it to a boat cover shop and seeing if they can put a nice "D" door in it.  Anyone ever do something like this?  If so, how did it work out?

The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
Re: Adding a Door to a Flip-Over?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2012, 11:06 AM »
I see no reason why they couldn't add a zipper, but the cost may be better off just buying a new flip over complete cover?

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2012, 11:31 AM »
Clam usually has replacement covers on sale, might be cheaper then the boat shop.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2012, 11:52 AM »
I put a rear door in my Trekker II this year.
I just bought a Trekker DLX cover.   ;D

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2012, 11:56 AM »
Clam wants $170 for a replacement tent.  I live near the bottom of the ice-belt, so I cannot justify dropping that much coin for something that is really nothing more than a minor inconvenience.  I will likely see what the cover shop will charge for a zipper and then go from there.  I was just curious if anyone did a retrofit and how happy there were with it.
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2012, 12:43 PM »
I have never done that but I would look for a shop that does awnings for buildings,they do alot more sewing work than the boat guys do,and most likely thats where he would take it anyway so cut out the middle man and save a few bucks,get a price from both of them and see who is cheaper,where I work at we send our large tents that need repairs to an awning shop,2 years ago I had them replace a zipper on my pack tent and they only charged me 30 bucks and they only had it 2 days

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2012, 02:27 PM »
Got an old Clam Guide that serves me well.  However, I get tired of having to flip the front up to get in and out of it.  Thinking of taking it to a boat cover shop and seeing if they can put a nice "D" door in it.  Anyone ever do something like this?  If so, how did it work out?
I know a woman who sews in new windows for the jeep people that have the soft top version. You would have to send your tent cover to her then she could put in a new door with zipper and windows if you wanted.  Or you can find someone closer to you. The woman is in Northern Indiana.
 I was wondering why you think a door with a zipper would be better than lifting the front up to get in and out? Heat loss? Easier? If it seams to hard to lift the front up I would engineer some sort of handle or strap that would be accessible when I stood up to leave. Just sounds better than messing with a frozen zipper. But if you want a door, it can be done.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline swisscheez

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • there is no such thing as to many holes:)
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2012, 02:36 PM »
i would like to add a trap link zipper system to my new pro tc seems clam is in a lawsuit over these things. i would buy an old one if i could find one there like none existent.
Feels so nice doing it through the ice

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2012, 03:06 PM »

i bought a kenai first year it was made they had  no door , took it to a canvas maker who did boat work and he put one in and it is at least twice as heavy as the one clam puts in theirs , and i couldn't be happier and he made it so i could do just the bottom or just top or full door  the zippers come together half way up i don't have any pics though sorry ,if you would like one i can do

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2012, 04:08 PM »
i bought a kenai first year it was made they had  no door , took it to a canvas maker who did boat work and he put one in and it is at least twice as heavy as the one clam puts in theirs , and i couldn't be happier and he made it so i could do just the bottom or just top or full door  the zippers come together half way up i don't have any pics though sorry ,if you would like one i can do

I've got a clam dave genz fish trap II with no door and I think I want what you had done. Could you please pm me the name of the canvas maker and possibly what you paid? If you don't want to disclose what you paid I completely understand and apologize for asking.

Offline kl3377

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2012, 04:33 PM »
I have never done that but I would look for a shop that does awnings for buildings,they do alot more sewing work than the boat guys do,and most likely thats where he would take it anyway so cut out the middle man and save a few bucks,get a price from both of them and see who is cheaper,where I work at we send our large tents that need repairs to an awning shop,2 years ago I had them replace a zipper on my pack tent and they only charged me 30 bucks and they only had it 2 days

Exactly what I was thinking.  Or a reupholstery shop that does convertible tops.
A watched lake never freezes.

Offline lunker1281

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rippin lips!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2012, 04:45 PM »
anyone that does hemming for clothing could do it. just look in your local phonebook for someone that does it out of there house.

Offline BWB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2012, 04:59 PM »
anyone that does hemming for clothing could do it. just look in your local phonebook for someone that does it out of there house.

Not exactly, most people wouldn't have a  sewing machine big enough to handle the amount of canvas there is in an entire shack cover.

Offline swisscheez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2012, 05:02 PM »
i guess it all depends on where you live lunker1281 your city must covered in industrial sewing factories help a brother out

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2012, 05:16 PM »
i guess it all depends on where you live lunker1281 your city must covered in industrial sewing factories help a brother out
So true, we live in an area that has everything! Even the number one team in the nation!
We have nine industrial sewing machines where I work. Also just purchased a welder for putting seams in material. It will be running by the end of the week. We don't do the kind of work with them you require for the door, but there are several shops in our area that do this sort of work. Sometimes it's hard for us to believe its different in other places.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline swisscheez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2012, 05:30 PM »
GO IRISH. i live very near SB I'm very fortunate for the industries around here

Offline lunker1281

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rippin lips!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2012, 09:15 PM »
Go Irish #1. I think I might know a few different factories that do some sewing around Elkhart

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2012, 04:15 AM »
I got one put in about 4 years ago. The local tent shop did it for me. Works great. They didn't want to try a curved zipper so we went with 2 straight ones. Look in yellow pages under tents or tent repair and you may find one that can do it for you. My scout is on the right. Son in laws new clam on the left. See the difference? His is quite a bit lighter also.  If I had to do it again I would just get a new hut. 50. for zipper or 200. for the whole darn thing

Offline lunker1281

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rippin lips!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2012, 11:08 AM »
is that a kenai?

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2012, 11:28 AM »
Thanks for all the insight.  Will likely call an awning shop and tent maker in town.  Will post pics if it happens.

All you Golden Domers stop hijacking my thread.   :nono: (LOL!  I grew up about 90 miles north of SB and bleed blue).   

Offline lunker1281

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rippin lips!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2012, 03:42 PM »
#1    lol ;D

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2012, 04:31 PM »
A friend made an Ontario style with canvas on all sides. He purchased a body bag for the door, lasted a few years befor the zipper let out.

Offline swisscheez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2012, 06:22 PM »
go irish bleed blue and gold i hope.lmao

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2012, 03:21 AM »
is that a kenai?

Yes and a scout on the right

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Dec 07, 2012, 01:44 PM »

heres the door i had put in my  kenai

Offline lunker1281

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rippin lips!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 07, 2012, 04:13 PM »
nice....how does that work being 10" narrower than the pro?

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2012, 05:37 PM »
nice....how does that work being 10" narrower than the pro?

well it is a trade off i have 2 holes and fish one , but i can carry more stuff in the Keanai , the way tub sits  in the pro you can drill 3 holes and fish 2 i like them both , you just need to set in them to see whats better for you

Offline lunker1281

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rippin lips!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 07, 2012, 07:43 PM »
ive been thinking of picking up a kenai for the same reasons. but not sure yet. i think i can pimp out the pro and get as much stuff in it. the price point is great though vs. the pro

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Dec 07, 2012, 08:20 PM »
ive been thinking of picking up a kenai for the same reasons. but not sure yet. i think i can pimp out the pro and get as much stuff in it. the price point is great though vs. the pro
if you do i would like to see a pic thanks L-1281

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.