Author Topic: first impressions of new CLAM GEARBOX  (Read 786 times)

Offline ont_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
first impressions of new CLAM GEARBOX
« on: Oct 09, 2020, 09:43 PM »
As you can see from the pictures, this won't be my first time around with the clam gearbox. I ran it on a plane jane 6" steel hand auger last time and judging by the pot molded gears, its no surprise it went poof....2 out the 3 wound up breaking the teeth...

That being said...I really liked the performance a gearbox gave me when i was out there and how it extended my battery life on a 6" auger since my drill only works 1/2 as hard punching holes....im not in a race, adding 2 seconds to a hole aint gonna kill me lol.

When my old gearbox broke, clam customer service was awesome and made it right (thank you thayne), so i wasn't shy to give the next gen a shot knowing they stand behind their product.

The new clam gearbox is leaps and bounds from the last gen we saw. From the fit and finish of the assembly, to the tight tolerances and literally 0 slop in the input and output shafts. It's clear they went back to the drawing board and came out with a whole new unit.

It will be cool to see how it performs throughout the season.

Just thought id share my initial thoughts and opinions if anyone was interested in getting one themselves.

Tight lines.

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: first impressions of new CLAM GEARBOX
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2020, 07:22 AM »
Home Depot has the gearbox in stock, good price:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Clam-Power-Drive-Gear-Box-15502/314725990

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2020, 12:27 PM »
I'm interested in one, but am going to wait and see other people's experiences this year and hopefully snag one marked down. I want a 10" drill auger for when I'm going pike fishing (and hopefully laker fishing in the future!).

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2020, 06:39 PM »
Save yourself aggrevation and just buy an Ice Kicker 2. Not as pretty, but his sprocket gear dive / chain design is outstanding. Never understood the Clam design.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.