Author Topic: Complete Minnesota Ice Fishing Guide  (Read 2565 times)

Offline StrikeandCatch

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It's all about fishing
Complete Minnesota Ice Fishing Guide
« on: Nov 27, 2020, 05:09 PM »
Hi guys,

I just wrote a huge ice fishing guide for Minnesota and thought I'd share it with you.

I hope you find it interesting and that you perhaps get some inspiration out of it.
I really did a lot of research for this one and sincerely hope that it is informative and helpful!

Here is a link to the article: https://www.strikeandcatch.com/ice-fishing-in-minnesota/

Have a great weekend and stay safe!

/Max
It's all about fishing

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Complete Minnesota Ice Fishing Guide
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2020, 08:02 AM »
Hi guys,

I just wrote a huge ice fishing guide for Minnesota and thought I'd share it with you.

I hope you find it interesting and that you perhaps get some inspiration out of it.
I really did a lot of research for this one and sincerely hope that it is informative and helpful!

Here is a link to the article: https://www.strikeandcatch.com/ice-fishing-in-minnesota/

Have a great weekend and stay safe!

/Max

Not bad if someone is in Minnesota and has never fished before...kinda generic.
But I think you got walleye and pike mixed up for minnetonka   :roflmao: 

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2020, 12:24 PM »
I have seen some crazy regulations in my time but a required shanty license would have me looking to move. Do they tax the air there too?
:D

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2020, 04:26 PM »
Guide to the 2020/21 Minnesota ice fishing season will be turn on the outdoors channel or drill a hole in your swimming pool once Walz tells you folks you can't leave your house ;)

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2020, 04:29 PM »
I have seen some crazy regulations in my time but a required shanty license would have me looking to move. Do they tax the air there too?

Well, I can tell you if it gets ripped off in the wind, even IF you have a copy zip-tied to the doorr zipper, YOU WILL get a ticket! 
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2020, 04:31 PM »

No tax on the portables.  One has to understand that we have actual cities of hundreds of permanent ice shacks that appear with roads, bars, and services that actually do have a cost (at least to clean up). In this case, it does not seem unreasonable. It is very unique.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2020, 04:39 PM »
Well, I can tell you if it gets ripped off in the wind, even IF you have a copy zip-tied to the doorr zipper, YOU WILL get a ticket!

Crazy. Most I have seen in the states that I have lived/fished in in the requirement to have name and address on the shanty.
Paying (basically) property tax to sit on the ice is criminal.

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2020, 04:44 PM »
No tax on the portables.  One has to understand that we have actual cities of hundreds of permanent ice shacks that appear with roads, bars, and services that actually do have a cost (at least to clean up). In this case, it does not seem unreasonable. It is very unique.

Same in Maine, when I lived there, as to shanty towns. Littering was the fine that took care of clean up which worked, because there was no litter to clean up, due to hefty fines ;) Also due to the fact that nobody would stand by and turn a blind eye to it, law enforcement or not.

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2020, 04:46 PM »
Crazy. Most I have seen in the states that I have lived/fished in in the requirement to have name and address on the shanty.
Paying (basically) property tax to sit on the ice is criminal.

Pretty much everything the ruling class does to us anymore is CRIMINAL! Stuff they’re doing would make Marx and Engels blush!
“Some of us are wise, and some of us are otherwise” M.R. Levin...

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2020, 04:47 PM »
In Minnesota it can get to be a significant thing.  Not easy to manage.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2020, 04:58 PM »
Pretty much everything the ruling class does to us anymore is CRIMINAL! Stuff they’re doing would make Marx and Engels blush!

Good thing they aren't planning on raising taxes on our tea. I heard there were some people who lost their mind awhile back, when that was proposed.
LOL

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2020, 05:00 PM »
In Minnesota it can get to be a significant thing.  Not easy to manage.

Yeah. Pics like those would have been normal in Maine 50 years back but not today. Some states I have lived in dont allow it at all, for the reasons gunflint spoke of. Too bad people cant police themselves anymore. :(

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2020, 05:03 PM »
Yeah. Pics like those would have been normal in Maine 50 years back but not today. Some states I have lived in dont allow it at all, for the reasons you spoke of. Too bad people cant police themselves anymore. :(

I think that they were “defunded.”   :-\
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2020, 05:11 PM »
Then there was the three guys from Ohio that cheated in the 2018 one and balled up the whole mess.... >:(

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2020, 05:25 PM »
Then there was the three guys from Ohio that cheated in the 2018 one and balled up the whole mess.... >:(

2018 one what?

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2020, 05:39 PM »
2018 one what?

Jaycees fishing tournament I'm guessing?  Passed a polygraph, no proof of cheating. Didn't cheat

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2020, 05:46 PM »
Brainerd ice fishing JAYCEES wing-ding contest....  ( I was at the 2015 and 2010 one)  cheating? Whatever. Lotsa opinions on that one still out there. With that herd, who knows what went on. Only know what I've heard. And I don't really care. Not into that area of it. Always something to ball up a good time, one way or another.  ::)

Now, back to the OP's Minnesota fishing post. I found it really quite good. Good job!  :thumbsup:

https://www.twincities.com/2018/02/04/brainerd-ice-fishing-contest-winners-investigated-on-suspicion-of-cheating/

Offline stuckinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2020, 05:48 PM »
Jaycees fishing tournament I'm guessing?  Passed a polygraph, no proof of cheating. Didn't cheat

LOL A Poly test?!
Wow!

Glad I dont get involved with stuff like that. :D

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2020, 05:52 PM »
They were "proven innocent" and kept their prizes pointing fingers with no proof otherwise is :cookoo:

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2020, 05:56 PM »
Like we said, “Ice fishing in Minnesota is not a matter of life and death.  It is far more important than that.”
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2020, 06:26 PM »
I may have been a bit harsh but if i were one of those Ohio folks (assuming they're innocent as the investigation found) I'd hope someone would have my back

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2020, 06:41 PM »
I think that they were “defunded.”   :-\
Yeah, When I see the litter idiots leave on the ice I think they must have been "defunded between the ears"....
Isn't that why they quit doing the eelpout festival? They couldn't afford to clean up after the slobs?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Nov 29, 2020, 06:45 PM »
Yup, one of the main reasons. Slob-o-sauras's. How can people be such filthy pigs?! Never been able to understand that. I always come off the ice with a bag of OTHER peoples garbage, and some of 'em I'd like to ram it right down their throat.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/01/03/eelpout-festival-canceled-over-rising-costs-garbage

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #23 on: Nov 29, 2020, 07:28 PM »
Yup, one of the main reasons. Slob-o-sauras's. How can people be such filthy pigs?! Never been able to understand that. I always come off the ice with a bag of OTHER peoples garbage, and some of 'em I'd like to ram it right down their throat.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/01/03/eelpout-festival-canceled-over-rising-costs-garbage

Might I make a humble suggestion? Okay I shall: the remedy for litter bugs is to promptly collect their trash and return it to them in a suppository form. Nothing cures litter bugittis than a good ole trash suppository!!!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Nov 29, 2020, 07:43 PM »
Say, I like that idea!!!!!  :thumbsup:

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #25 on: Nov 29, 2020, 08:07 PM »
Say, I like that idea!!!!!  :thumbsup:

I suspected you might.  @) ;D

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2020, 06:02 AM »
Same in Maine, when I lived there, as to shanty towns. Littering was the fine that took care of clean up which worked, because there was no litter to clean up, due to hefty fines ;) Also due to the fact that nobody would stand by and turn a blind eye to it, law enforcement or not.

I’m not sure I have ever seen anything in Maine that looks like what I’ve seen (on shows) that goes on as described as cities with bars.  Sure there are lakes that have more permanent shanties, but certainly not cities - considering the type of fishing predominantly done in Maine (tip-ups), shanties tend to be more spread out.

Offline StrikeandCatch

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It's all about fishing
« Reply #27 on: Dec 08, 2020, 05:55 PM »
Wow guys,

hadn't expected to get such a thread going! :)

Thanks for the reads and cool that you started to discuss the somewhat...special state regulations.

Hope you'll be able to head out and get some hard water action!

Tight lines
Max
It's all about fishing

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 09, 2020, 05:11 AM »

Not sure if it has changed in the time since, because this was a few decades ago, but when I was living in NV, you had to buy a registration tag for EACH tip-up you were using, and it was annual, not a one shot deal.

I never use tip ups, so it never effected me, but paying an extra few bucks per year per tip-up plus the regular license would have been irritating.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.