The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Thank You and See You Next Winter  (Read 595 times)

Offline Ice-n-Snow

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thank You and See You Next Winter
« on: Mar 10, 2016, 06:33 PM »
The tragedy at Shelburne Pond is telling me its time to put away the smitty sled and get ready for open water.

Thank you to everyone at Ice Shanty for all the help and information you shared.  An extra thank you to Fishingweatherman and Jmailbox8 for your thoughts on fishing for lakers at Caspian.   You guys really helped me figure out how to find 'em and get 'em to bite. 

Though short, this was my most enjoyable and successful ice fishing season by far.  It was great to check in on the forum, see what was going on in the Vermont ice fishing world, and share thoughts on a few topics now and then. 

Good luck to anyone who gets out on the ice again this season. 

Be careful and stay on the dry side.   

Ice-n-Snow

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Thank You and See You Next Winter
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2016, 06:50 PM »
Well said, Ice-n-Snow. 
I sure do enjoy posting and reading with all you folks.

I tied a big Kastmaster onto one of my summer rods today and cast it way out from the end of Red Rock point.  It felt great.  Shelburne bay was misty and calm.  Ducks, geese, and all sorts of birds were making a racket.

In a few minutes I'll strap my canoe onto the car, for tomorrow's adventure.  Hopefully I can get into some of those "late ice" crappies at dawn  ;D

I never did catch the salmon that I intended to.  Remember that thread about "goals"?  That'll be a goal for open water now, if I can drag myself away from the crappies for a second.  Maybe someone can give me some pointers about that...

Offline Registered Kayak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ..............and then there were none.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2016, 07:13 PM »
You missed the salmon frenzy in December and early January, i trolled shelburne on Tuesday, bite was non existent, but they are there. marked fish from the surface down to 90'
If you want to pursue them from your canoe...... its not hard, i used to catch them from my kayak, and even got a Master Angler walleye that is on my wall  ;)
Just a matter of timing.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2016, 07:33 PM »
Thanks man, I was fishing for them in December, too!  Caught lots of lakers but no salmon!

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2016, 07:34 PM »
Glad to hear you had a good season Ice-N-Snow! I regret not getting the chance to meet up and fish with you. It was great chatting with you though and hearing about your successes out on Caspian. It's an awesome lake that I have many fond memories of fishing on. Maybe, we'll get a chance to fish together next year. Have an awesome softwater season and I hope to see you back on the forum next hardwater season.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2016, 08:14 PM »
North side of the sandbar causeway will have salmon in very shallow water as soon as it starts to warm up. We will be out there trolling as close as we can get to the rocks  soon. You can definitely catch them from shore.
Well said, Ice-n-Snow. 
I sure do enjoy posting and reading with all you folks.

I tied a big Kastmaster onto one of my summer rods today and cast it way out from the end of Red Rock point.  It felt great.  Shelburne bay was misty and calm.  Ducks, geese, and all sorts of birds were making a racket.

In a few minutes I'll strap my canoe onto the car, for tomorrow's adventure.  Hopefully I can get into some of those "late ice" crappies at dawn  ;D

I never did catch the salmon that I intended to.  Remember that thread about "goals"?  That'll be a goal for open water now, if I can drag myself away from the crappies for a second.  Maybe someone can give me some pointers about that...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.