Author Topic: Got a new smoker  (Read 2635 times)

Offline blue98

• IceShanty Rookie
Got a new smoker
« on: Dec 26, 2006, 09:59 PM »
Santa delivered a brand new smoker, but forgot to leave good recipes. Who can help me out?

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Got a new smoker
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2006, 10:18 PM »
Blue98
Try Recipegoldmine.com They have quite a few smoker recipes. Also just do a search on Smoker recipes and you'll get alot too. Thay are fun and make great food. Have fun !!!!

Offline blue98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2006, 10:48 PM »
Will do thanks for the advice

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2006, 02:06 AM »
depends on what you want to smoke but try this for venison
2 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs whorchester
1 tsp veg oil
1/4 pkg dry herb and garlic dry salad dressing
maranade 24 hrs
cut in jerky strips and smoke to your likeing will melt in your mouth soy decomposes the meat to make it tender

Have another idea although I haven't tried it my cousin is a chef and he said to take a cold pot of coffee and pour over jerky strips leave in the fridge for 24 hrs and smke be sure to have on a pan cause if ot it'll fall through the grill

Offline MikeMunn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2006, 08:13 AM »
You can also go to about.com. There's a lot of good smoker info there.

Offline Mike M (Sask)

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2006, 10:16 AM »
Blue98

Here is a couple of links to the Bradley Smoker forum. The first one is the recipe site and the second on is everything including a ton of info on recipes and smoking.

http://susan.rminor.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=180

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/

Offline teacup13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i need to go fishin'
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2007, 09:05 AM »
i go here...lots of good info

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forums/

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2007, 03:42 AM »
Hey teacup13...I don't like your avatar....It reminds me too much of my ex-wife...LOL..WK.. ;D
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline teacup13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i need to go fishin'
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2007, 12:11 PM »
yah i put it up because it reminds me of mine as well.... hense my signature...need a shanty... she took everything..lol

Offline Vt Piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2007, 01:42 PM »
Blue98,
 Be warned....smoking meats and cheeses can be addictive and may cut into your fishing time. How ever, if mamma only lets you fish one day on the weekend, smoking is a great hobby for the other day. You end up satisfying the "why can't you spend some time at home?" problem while keeping a beer in your hand (strictly for "maintaining proper temperature") and the end product will have family and friends begging for more!
 I've been smokin' for about 10 years. There is some info on the net, but most of it is the same info showing up on multiple sites. Also, people who smoke tend to guard thier recipes and techniques rather closely. I can understand this, as I've spent a lot of time and money learning and still learn something new with each fire.
  I recently got a book that is a treasure trove of truly useful information. It's called "A GUIDE TO CANNING,FREEZING,CURING & SMOKING MEAT, FISH & WILD GAME." It's written by Wilbur F Eastman Jr. I got my copy from The Sausage Source in Hillsboro, NH.(603)464-6275. Ask for a catalog. If you want smoked pork chops(and you do) you'll need a bone saw.
  Before I hand over my favorite recipe, here's a few pointers.
- Keep the temperature below 200deg. Water boils at 212 and will cook right out of the meat...this is bad.
- If a little smoke is good, then more smoke must be better. WRONG!! Keep the density of the smoke thin. If you want more smoke flavor, smoke longer. A heavy smoke will make the food bitter.
- Never use pine,hemlock, spruce, or any evergreen. All hardwoods are fair game, especially fruit bearing. My favorite all around wood is maple. Oak is stronger and good for beef. Apple is lighter and slightly sweet, good for Cabot cheddar. Alder is very light and good for fish. Maple works on everything. I personally don't care for Mesquite, and having said that, I know that someone in Texas is making a noose. Wait! Texans don't ice fish! I'm safe.
 I've experimented with making my own rubs. Got a great one for fish! But for pork or beef, Google Texas BBQ Rub. This stuff is unbelievable!
 Here's the recipe for the brine that I use on pork loin and turkey drumsticks. The turkey actually tastes like smoked ham!
 2 gal. water
 2 cups salt
 1 cup brown sugar
 1 cup maple syrup
 2/3 cup Prague #1(6.25%)
 1 Tbsp pickling spice
 1 tsp cloves
Bring this to a boil and simmer 20 min.
Chill to 38-40 deg. (I bought a little fridge from Sears for $99 just for smoking)
Keep meat in marinade for at least 4 days. I've gone for 2 weeks. It's all good.
Keep pork and poultry seperate. You can use zip bags, but for big stuff I use the recycling bags. They're heavier.
 Smoke for 6 to 12 hours, depending on taste.
 I cold smoke, so the meat is not cooked. To cook the pork (the way they cook boiled ham fully. By the way, boiled ham isn't "boiled") hold pork in a 170deg water bath until the internal temp is 140deg.
 A digital roasting thermometer is handy for this.
Roast the turkey drums in a TIGHTLY covered roaster. Put the drums on a rack and add 2 cups of water to the roaster. roast at 225 until turkey is 161deg.

I gotta go make some Pike/Perck chowder, holler if you need help.

<br />img

Offline teacup13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i need to go fishin'
« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2007, 03:11 AM »
yah i have been smoking for about 15 years now... am in the process of building another smoker...

i personally dont like mesquite either unless its on potato chips..lol

i mostly use apple, maple and occasionally alder

its as addicting as fishing is once you taste your first smoker of meat

good fishing everyone, good eating and be safe

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.