Author Topic: Perch recipes  (Read 4513 times)

Offline NORRM

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I see fish lurking about the chilly depths!!
Perch recipes
« on: Dec 06, 2008, 08:34 AM »
Looking for a great quick perch recipe for home & on ice.
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day
Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in his shanty all day and drink BEER!!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Perch recipes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2008, 09:50 AM »
here is a link to a recipies thread....I submitted this one mostly as a sunfish receipe, but it works well with perch as well..

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=87429.0

Check out the hardwater cuisine section it is loaded with good receipes...For quick and easy on ice recipes look for powdery mixes that dont need to much fuss, they dont usually need egg or milk, its a quick dunk and then into the oil....fishcrisp is one, the other is Darryl Cronzy's Canadian Fish batter, both are painless on ice fry's

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2008, 10:14 AM »
I use Shank N Bake Fish coating on the ice. Just dip the fillet in water drop it in a ziplock with the coating, shake and drop it into the frying pan. I used to use an egg dip and cracker crumbs and got tired of the mess of mixing the dip.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2008, 05:50 PM »
mine is real easy and probably a long the lines of what is typical.

I take a sleave of Kebler Club crackers and some flower, add some paprika and salt (to taste) and throw it all in the food processor and mix is reall well. should be like powder.

I transfer that to a 1 gallon zip lock.

Filets go into milk wash and then into bag with the mix and coated.

Large fry pan with some olive oil and butter in it (oil lowers the smoke point of the butter, plus just a tad healthier,LOL) and the filets go in for about 2 minutes a side.

If we get alot of real small perch we will boil the filets in water for about 2 minutes (till they start to curl) then take em out and put them in ice water for 1 hour then eat them with cocktail sauce like shrimp cocktail.

J-

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2008, 11:09 PM »
You need salt and vinegar chips, soda crackers, seasoning salt, pepper, and corn flakes. Put all this in a food processor and make it fine. Coat your fillets in eggs and dip it the mixture. Fry in oil or butter. Its delicious.

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2008, 03:15 PM »
For a perch fry I batter them up using pancake mix and italian breadcrumbs mixed with beer then seasoned to taste with ground pepper and seasoning salt.  Very simple!   :tipup:
"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2008, 08:00 AM »
Coat the moist yellow perch filets in flour. Dip them in an whipped egg mixture and coat them with Panko breading mixture. This is available in larger supermarkets in the Asian food section. With a thermometer in some peanut or canola oil heated to 350 degrees F. drop them in the pot or pan, when the oil returns to 350, they are done. This is the best meal in the world, the Panko breading is excellent, not like the bitter taste you have with Italian flavored breading.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2008, 11:50 AM »
1. I cooked my gill fillets like this the other night, but I do perch the same way at times. Whip an egg in a bowl, dip fillets, coat in seasoned bread crumbs, (I usually have a plate with a layer of crumbs handy) cook in skillet with butter or oil. You can add seasoning to taste, but with fresh fillets, you don't really need to.
2. Heat some white wine in pan, add fillets, season to taste. I like lemon pepper and dill. This thread is making me crave some fresh perch!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2008, 12:03 PM »
I love all the different breading you guys come up with to try. With my egg though I like to add a little horseradish. Give it a lil kick. I prefer the horseradish but tabasco or redhot isn't bad either.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline mrcrowley138

• IceShanty Rookie
  • La Crosse, WI
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2008, 05:49 PM »
My favorite thing to do is to make what I call "Fish Nuggets."  Obviouslly I didn't invent this, but what I do is cut my fillets into pieces about 1 inch long to begin with (you can use the whole fillets, but this is kind of a cool way to serve them) then throw them in a bowl of milk in the fridge for a while.  Then I mix up some cornmeal, flower, salt, pepper, Lowreys, and dill and put it in a ziplock bag.  Sometimes I will experiment with other things like different seasoning salts or other spices.  After that I make an egg wash of 2 eggs and some milk.  Then I season the egg wash as well with Lowreys, salt, and pepper.  I think this really adds a different taste to the fried fish because you get the flavor on the fish and not just the batter. I then put the 1 inch pieces into the egg wash, scoop them out, put them into the batter, shake, then just grab them out with your hands making sure they are coated completely.  I like to lay them out on a plate after this and pour back the excess batter mix that may have come with them (excess batter will "diry" the oil).  That step is really optional, but from there I dump the pieces from the plate right into the fryer and spread 'em out with one of those fryer scoop things with some slits in it so I know they will all be done at about the same time.  I like to mix 'em around a littel bit and flip them so that I know they get done all the way around.  When they start to float and the batter is a golden-brown color, they are done.  I have never timed it.  I just play it by ear, but it doesn't take long.  From there, use the scoop to take 'em out and lay 'em on a plate with a couple sheets of paper towel on it to drain.  Repeat the process until all your fish pieces are gone.  I like to serve them with scrambled eggs.  Its an amazing coimbination.  If you haven't had fried fish with eggs, you are missing out.  Makes a great sammich to. 

I tried this recipe with 'gills, catfish/bullhead, crappie, pike, whitebass, and perch over the summer and it was great with all of them.  I think whitebass is my favorite, but when cutting them into pieces you have to make sure to cut out the darker meat (same goes for cats/bullhead).  Really the only gamefish I haven't tried this recipe on was walleye.  I don't know why, but for me walleye have to be beer battered if I'm going to fry them.  Anycrap, play around with the recipe to modify it to your own taste.  You won't be disappointed.       

Offline Jeff S

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish and a 40.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2009, 11:35 AM »
You guys make it so complex....... Flour, pepper, season salt. Rince filets, dip in flour and deep fry. Cocktail sauce for dip.

Jeff
"Yes dear, I'll be in when fish stop biting"
How many have you got?
"None! They haven't started biting yet."

Offline Slop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2009, 02:37 PM »

The Fish Crisp one this taste test and it was'nt easy deciding....I'll hafta try just one more piece!  ;D

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2009, 04:46 PM »
Now that my friend is a nice pic. End product. Enjoying the fruit's of your labor.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline jer204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2009, 05:40 AM »
Put perch fillets in ice cold water for about an hour.  In a ziploc, mix dry drakes mix and Old bay seasoning.  Deepfry.  Serve with beer.  good stuff.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.