The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Ridgid Octane / Mora Review  (Read 1475 times)

Offline zubie

• IceShanty Rookie
Ridgid Octane / Mora Review
« on: Dec 08, 2018, 08:05 PM »
So thanks to the Ridgid fans on iceshanty I picked up a new Octane hammer drill to pair with a new 7” Mora & Clam plate and all I can say is wow! I have been running a 700+ lb Hitachi brushless hammer drill with 6” Lazer & Clam plate for the past 5 years so I have plenty of experience with this type of setup but this new setup is impressive. The drill itself is almost too powerful, I am running it on speed 1 and I still need to feather the trigger. The one complaint I have is how much it grabs the ice as it breaks thru the bottom, I lift up to help ease the grab, but I expected it to be a little less harsh with the more flat design of the Mora compared to my Lazer. I had my fishing partner give it a try and was very impressed with the cutting speed compared to his first generation Ion. Overall I’m very happy with this new setup!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Ridgid Octane / Mora Review
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2018, 08:18 PM »
Nice,im also going to be running the ridgid octane with 9ah battery on a clam plate.was going to run a 5” lazer but all ive read says it can turn a 8” easily and get quite a few holes.so i put my mora 8” auger on it.i also grabbed a extension so im not hunched over drilling holes.

Offline zubie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2018, 08:27 PM »
It sounds like we will essentially be running the same setup... I only drilled around 20 holes tonight thru 5 inches of ice but my 9.0 battery was still at full bars. I picked up a set of 8” Swedish blades as well to switch out when the 7” get dull and yes the extension is a must.

Offline 4Buck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2018, 08:47 AM »
I am going to be running the same set up only with a Eskimo 8inch. Did any of you have a hard time getting the octane mounted on the Clam plate? I am still waiting for the plate but have read that the Octane doesn't line up real good with the plate? I am totally new to a drill set up so just a little worried.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2018, 09:05 AM »
I am going to be running the same set up only with a Eskimo 8inch. Did any of you have a hard time getting the octane mounted on the Clam plate? I am still waiting for the plate but have read that the Octane doesn't line up real good with the plate? I am totally new to a drill set up so just a little worried.
It's just different than a Milwaukee Fuel but not really hard. The Octane drill has a switch in the handle that activates an LED light in the chuck. Nice little feature but that light switch happens to lie in the path of the U-bolt that attaches the Clam to the drill so the light is more or less always on. You need to monkey with it a little bit and put the trigger linkage in the other slot, then slide the drill over as far as it will go.

3300 is the real wonk on this fix and I'm sure will help when you get everything in front of you. Ain't that tough.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline 4Buck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2018, 09:58 AM »
Thanks!!

Offline 4Buck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2018, 01:40 PM »
First time ever running a drill set up like this. When you let off the trigger on the Clam Plate is it normal for it to bang and make a bunch of noise when it comes to a stop? This is just trying it in the house.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2018, 01:59 PM »
it is because it has electronic brake system. let off the trigger slower to avoid the sudden stop.

the octane combo has a lower price and hd is price matching. call them to get 40$ back. have your order number ready.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2018, 06:07 PM »
Thanks for the update. I plan on pairing this drill with an 8” mora that I got at a garage sale.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.