New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread  (Read 428812 times)

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread
« on: Jan 02, 2015, 02:31 PM »
Thought it might be good to start a thread like this to keep R & C uncluttered.  Today, Friday the 2nd was the first day of ice fishing on Schroon, (except for the bays) this year.  couple guys were at the Narrows, couple off the Island, and someone was fishing couple 100 yds. off Fowler.  I measured 3 1/2- 4 " of black ice off Fowler.  Might be a little more at the Narrows as that froze one day earlier this week.   Bobcat Sports is closed as Dick is in a Nursing home, but Joe Plumstead opened his shop in town next to Tops.  Was in there today and he has some great looking bait.
Tony

Offline VDueslerIV

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FILL THE STRINGER!!!!
Re: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2015, 04:24 PM »
thanks, its good to have that kind of info handy ..i was thinkin of trying to get up there and i am bout 2 hrs away..your info for that area is very helpful
“Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a shanty, jig and drink beer all day. ”

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2015, 05:37 PM »
Two guys in the narrows? Must be a couple morons.  ;D
I love clipboard man

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2015, 09:35 PM »
Hi Tony, Happy New Year! Thanks for starting this thread as I'm sure a lot of us greatly appreciate it! Looking forward to getting out there soon! Up at camp tonight with Swags and meeting up with Bill WEC and Jay FishinNY for a little Toothy action in the morning!

See ya soon!
Mike

Offline wildbrookies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2015, 10:04 PM »

Jager61,

Great to see you on here again, hope you are doing well!!. Glad to hear you are getting out tomorrow!!  Hope you have a great day tomorrow , but ,like we always say, any day out  on the ice or in the woods /lakes/streams is a great day!!! ;D Good luck to ya!! Maybe we can hook up this year!! ;) Hope to talk to you soon!!

WB

Offline PSCfishingking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2015, 01:07 AM »
This is all I needed to hear, you'll find me on Scroon Tomorrow.  Been out on Paradox but was sunked.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2015, 04:55 AM »
Hi Tony, Happy New Year! Thanks for starting this thread as I'm sure a lot of us greatly appreciate it! Looking forward to getting out there soon! Up at camp tonight with Swags and meeting up with Bill WEC and Jay FishinNY for a little Toothy action in the morning!

See ya soon!
Mike

Hey Mike, good luck today.  Let me know when you guys are heading over here.  Happy New Year!
Tony

Offline lake simon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • look familiar
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2015, 07:03 AM »
My Dayghter is at Schroon today. I am anxiously awaiting to see how she makes out.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2015, 03:23 AM »
Just had a couple inches snow. Warmup barely going to get here, might go above freezing for a few hrs then a low of 13 tonight, high of 14 Monday and below zero Mon. night.  We'll be good to go.
Tony

Offline Berkley4life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2015, 03:30 AM »
Just had a couple inches snow. Warmup barely going to get here, might go above freezing for a few hrs then a low of 13 tonight, high of 14 Monday and below zero Mon. night.  We'll be good to go.

Where do you look at the forecast?  Its already right at 32 and high in low to mid 40's.  It going to be above freezing the entire day.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2015, 03:37 AM »
Still mid twenties here and freezing drizzle.  NWS Burlington point forecast for Schroon Lake.  Point is, this will not harm what ice we have, and a lot more (ice) is coming for this.  week. 
Tony

Offline rlewis6987

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2015, 11:04 AM »
Thanks for the info. on the new Bait shop , i was wondering what was going on there!  I hope to head your way real soon , how is this wind affecting things any guys around today??          Thanks again!!   :tipup:
Be safe and Tight lines!!

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2015, 01:56 AM »
I have never ice fished schroon and would be interested in giving it a try later this year. Where do you park off of fowler rd? Has anyone ever fished out of the boat ramp at dock street?

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2015, 04:20 AM »
you can park at the end of fowler or by the boat ramp.also eagle point or the narrows.good luck tc5 :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2015, 06:14 AM »
There are a lot of posted signs off Fowler and some one not familiar with the area might think you cannot park there.  Fowler Ave is a town of Schroon right of way to the lake, and you can park on both sides, you just can't walk through the property, you access the lake at the end of the road.
Tony

Offline wranglerdrvr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2015, 08:23 AM »
I remember fishing schroon when I was a kid before I moved west. Now that I'm back I can't wait to get out there even though I have little to no memory on how and where to fish! I think  ???  we use to get on at/around the campground but can't be sure. Being less than an hour away from so many options makes the slow days at work really drag!!

Are there any sizable perch here? I Remember targeting LL but don't recal much about perch or other species.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2015, 09:16 AM »

Are there any sizable perch here? I Remember targeting LL but don't recal much about perch or other species.
Not that I know of. I've tried more than once. The perch fishing has always been horrible for me there.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2015, 09:20 AM »
Not that I know of. I've tried more than once. The perch fishing has always been horrible for me there.

horrible yes, but the perch are BIG.   TC5 or SchrnLkr; could you guys shed some light on chasing perch there?

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2015, 01:41 PM »
Years ago that was all we fished for, big jack perch, as many as you wanted.  Locals would be out there each morning and again in the late afternoon.  We would be in vehicles or snowmobiles going from spot to spot, all the sunken islands, all the grass reefs, we'd hit em all.   Guys just don't fish like that anymore.   There is always some monsters caught for the derby, but I just don't know if they are there in the numbers  like they were back in the day.  They also have grubs now, but they seldom did back then.  Guys would use jig sticks with double hooks and a perch eye.  We all had 35mm film containers with perch eyes, just to get started, then we would use fresh ones.  My favorite was a medium action rod, like we use now on Lake George, with a white Swedish pimple with a single hook and an eye.  Those were fun days!! :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:
Tony

Offline Lakestar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2015, 10:03 AM »
Schroon is mostly all froze on the North end to the narrows. More ice making conditions tonight and tomorrow.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2015, 10:09 AM »
Update on Schroon, entire lake is now frozen, guys were fishing off Eagle Point this morning.  25 below forecasted for tonight.
Tony

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2015, 12:02 PM »
Wooooohoooo!

I know what I'm doing this weekend!!

Offline adktony

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2015, 12:33 PM »
Awsome morning before the front moved in today... Ended up 9 for 16 and walked off the ice at 11. Got a late start and didn't get on ice till 830 wish I was there earlier. Drilled 1 hole and that was it. Was only 2 maby 3 in of black ice with a dusting of snow on top

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2015, 12:41 PM »
Awsome morning before the front moved in today... Ended up 9 for 16 and walked off the ice at 11. Got a late start and didn't get on ice till 830 wish I was there earlier. Drilled 1 hole and that was it. Was only 2 maby 3 in of black ice with a dusting of snow on top

Thanks for the updates, I should have manned up!  :P
I love clipboard man

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2015, 01:17 PM »

WTG Tony, that was open water couple days ago.  It will make some serious ice next couple days!
Tony

Offline adktony

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2015, 01:27 PM »
Thanks tony. I almost didn't walk out when my spud got wet on the first throw but ice was consistent all the way across just put my big boy pants and tip towed out. Jon I tried to get you out there... when I got a hit on my first drop with 3 chasers I knew it was worth it. White curly tail with a white jig head did the trick. Even after they bit the tail off they still crushed it

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 07, 2015, 01:47 PM »
Thanks tony. I almost didn't walk out when my spud got wet on the first throw but ice was consistent all the way across just put my big boy pants and tip towed out. Jon I tried to get you out there... when I got a hit on my first drop with 3 chasers I knew it was worth it. White curly tail with a white jig head did the trick. Even after they bit the tail off they still crushed it
Ugggghhh!!!
Dang you Tony! I've got perch and crappie pulling me in one direction and your report pulling me the other.
I almost want a crack at it before the flood of people this weekend.  :-\
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline adktony

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 07, 2015, 01:57 PM »
I couldn't believe how skinny they were. Couldn't get them to burp up anything all had empty stomachs. Didn't even mark a school of smelt either I remember seeing nice clouds last season

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2015, 02:02 PM »
Way to Nut Up Tony!  Nice reward for your efforts, congrats!

MK

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 07, 2015, 02:02 PM »
I've received several pm's from guys fishing the north end saying they marked lots of smelt.  Interesting, hungry is good!!!
Tony

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.