Author Topic: Grandsons first outing  (Read 1260 times)

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Grandsons first outing
« on: Jan 12, 2013, 06:25 PM »
   Took my 7 year old grandson out this morning for his first ice trip. We went to a local perch & pickerel pond. We had 5 3/4" of wet ice and enough flags to keep him running. Big smiles as he pulled his first perch thru the hole. His boots were his downfall and we had to head hole earlier than expected because of wet feet. Rang out his socks and his feet felt like ice when we got home. All and all a good first outing. When are we going again was his final question as he headed home with mom.

John

Offline lawnguyjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Masshole
Re: Grandsons first outing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2013, 06:32 PM »
Thats great. Today will be a memory he will have forever
Newfound (Circus)

Offline Bugman1964

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2013, 06:34 PM »
Nice I remember ice fishing with Grandpa back in my distant youth.

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2013, 06:36 PM »
That's great glad he had fun. And once again great to meet you this evening and thanks again much appreciated.

Offline NHTROUTNUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Work is for days i don't fish
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2013, 07:22 PM »
That's great took my grandson out last year for his first time also he loved it  ;D

Offline kl3377

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2013, 08:39 PM »
Sounds like a great time.  I learned the wet feet lesson last year with my son.  The answer is high Bogs without handles, waterproof up to the knees and warm.  Although kicking his feet in puddles on the ice today he managed to get some water inside.  It was sloppy out there.
A watched lake never freezes.

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2013, 08:50 PM »
If all else fails with preventing wet feet rap your feet with market basket bags and go from there
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:07 AM »
If all else fails with preventing wet feet rap your feet with market basket bags and go from there

If we run into ice like yesterday again I will try this with the bags. At his age buying good boots only last about 6 months. Thanks for the replies about this special day. Be safe
John

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2013, 01:48 PM »
Great job in taking your grandson out...passing along a lost pastime for our youth...Well done  ;D

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2013, 02:52 PM »
Great times.  :thumbsup:

Had my kids out chasing perch and pickerel flags in the slop on Saturday.  My daughter iced a decent 17" 2lb 3oz LMB that she entered in the online tourney.  The kids excitment when the flag goes up makes catching little perch and pickerel fun all over again.  :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: 

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2013, 02:55 PM »
Nice job, great fishing with the grandchildren, I can,..... but, cannot wait for that day..my poor sons will stil be in awe when I take him/her to the spot I never took them too ;) As a future grandpa, I must keep some spots for our future generation ;)

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2013, 05:03 PM »
Nice job, great fishing with the grandchildren, I can,..... but, cannot wait for that day..my poor sons will stil be in awe when I take him/her to the spot I never took them too ;) As a future grandpa, I must keep some spots for our future generation ;)
Dipsy your going to love grandchildren. More fun and less work.
John

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2013, 06:01 PM »

Too funny!

Offline waterfowlah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2013, 02:21 PM »
Very cool
Team Grizzly. ICE 55. Hopped up JIFFY owner ported polished custom expansion chamber 36" in 2.5 seconds HOLD ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.