Author Topic: St. Paul Ice Show question  (Read 2669 times)

Offline Crazy4moosehunting

• IceShanty Rookie
St. Paul Ice Show question
« on: Aug 14, 2019, 07:45 PM »
Hey guys, looking at going to the big st.paul ice show. Question to the people that have gone to  previous shows, are the products for sale there or strictly just to show off new products?

Thanks

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: St. Paul Ice Show question
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2019, 07:52 PM »
It's all for sale Crazy4Moose. Make sure you have lots of room on your card ;D

The last day is typically the best foe wheeling and dealing.

WS

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2019, 01:45 AM »
Cash is king at the show. shop the retailers against each other, they try to one up each other just to get sales. Sundays can get you the best deals but the big ticket items are normally sold out by then.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2019, 07:03 AM »
Hey guys, looking at going to the big st.paul ice show. Question to the people that have gone to  previous shows, are the products for sale there or strictly just to show off new products?

Thanks

I have been to the show a couple of times, be prepared that it is a zoo (a mass of bodies filling the isles).  There is about anything you can imagine there ice fishing related (and even not), as was mentioned, most of the vendors do have product to sell at the show.  You will have to pay Mn sales tax on any of your purchases, but at least can use your $800 exemption when going back across the border.  An interesting event to attend at least once and a good excuse to pop over the border.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2019, 07:23 AM »
I have been to the show a couple of times, be prepared that it is a zoo (a mass of bodies filling the isles).  There is about anything you can imagine there ice fishing related (and even not), as was mentioned, most of the vendors do have product to sell at the show.  You will have to pay Mn sales tax on any of your purchases, but at least can use your $800 exemption when going back across the border.  An interesting event to attend at least once and a good excuse to pop over the border.

The ice show in Fargo is almost as big, and you get the sales tax back.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2019, 02:52 PM »
The ice show in Fargo is almost as big, and you get the sales tax back.

Either show would be good, but I was at the Fargo show last year, a nice show, but just guessing, don't think it was half the size of St Paul.  Did not realize you could get the sales tax back, how does that work?

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2019, 02:05 PM »
I have yet to make it to the St. Paul ice show event.  Has there been in the past venders selling ice rod blanks?
TINY RODWORKS  custom rods and tackle

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2019, 03:47 PM »
I know DH custom rods do

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Aug 16, 2019, 04:20 PM »
Either show would be good, but I was at the Fargo show last year, a nice show, but just guessing, don't think it was half the size of St Paul.  Did not realize you could get the sales tax back, how does that work?
If your Canadian, North Dakota still offers sales tax refunds on goods taken out of the country. Check their website. I usually file once a year, you can go three years at a time. Fill out form on secure site, print off, then send in with the receipts and they will verify. Send you a cheque in about 6 weeks.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Aug 16, 2019, 05:40 PM »
If your Canadian, North Dakota still offers sales tax refunds on goods taken out of the country. Check their website. I usually file once a year, you can go three years at a time. Fill out form on secure site, print off, then send in with the receipts and they will verify. Send you a cheque in about 6 weeks.

Great info about North Dakota, thank you!  If Mn did the same I would be saving a big chunck of sales tax money every year, as I usually cross the border, pick up stuff at my border box, hit Menards and cross back in the same day.

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 16, 2019, 01:03 PM »
used to go every year but didn't this past year simply because it gets so packed. I really wish they would find a larger venue
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Offline BH2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont wish your life away!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 16, 2019, 01:10 PM »
used to go every year but didn't this past year simply because it gets so packed. I really wish they would find a larger venue

x2 we have skipped the last few years, it gets so busy at times the crowd pushes you through, can hardly stop and look at stuff.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Sep 16, 2019, 02:56 PM »
Honestly, it is a mess and fairly pricey to go to.....I wouldn't go again. I didn't spot any deals that would be better than what you can do online most of the time. As far as looking at things, other than large items (wheelhouses etc...) you can get a better experience just going to one of the big outdoor stores. It will be less crowded and you'll be able to examine the goods better. I went the first day so I can't speak to what happens Sunday, but the line was all the way outside just to get a ticket, then another line to get in. Be ready to park for parking, since for some reason they must have it downtown...

Offline hookset81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Sep 19, 2019, 01:45 PM »
Kind of hate to let my secret out but I went last year, paid the early bird entry and had everything I went for bought and I was on my way to my truck when they started letting people the general admission ticket holders in.  Spent the rest of the day having a great time with my wife and then met up with some buddies that night that worked the show all day.  Well worth the early bird fee if you ask me!

Offline Panfisher78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Sep 22, 2019, 06:12 PM »
Ive been once a couple years ago and as others have said it was a complete madhouse. You could barley move.  Makes carrying things around that you’ve purchased difficult.  I didn’t see any to good to pass up deals on the big ticket items like shantys, electronics etc.  It was a lot of fun and would recommend it if you haven’t been.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Sep 22, 2019, 07:24 PM »
The St.. Paul ice expo has the most vendors and booths out of all the shows I know, so it is the best option if you are hoping to see the majority of all the ice products made under one roof, and meet tons of people in the industry. However the crowds can be bad and by the time you add in parking and the entry fee some of the discounts don't really pan out, unless spending several hundred dollars plus.

There are other shows worth looking into that are cheaper, smaller with less vendors and less people but pretty much the same sales. Also doesn't hurt when you win tickets the last two years from a local radio station  ::)

Going early or at the end of the day is generally best for avoiding crowds at these things, especially if you are hoping to chat with some of the pros and pick their brain.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Sep 23, 2019, 11:28 AM »
If you go the VIP route it is $20/person plus parking.....so to bring the family with it is $50 plus parking and that's before you get to fight the crowds to look at things easily accessible in any big outdoor store. It will be a long time before I go to it ever again......I have no doubt you could probably negotiate a great deal on a wheel house there though.....maybe.....a ll the other "savings" are easily beat by online sales most of winter.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Sep 23, 2019, 03:47 PM »
to look at things easily accessible in any big outdoor store.

Agree with what you said only comment I would add is some of the things found at the show aren't available at a big store like scheels or cabelas
Ex: many of the custom rod builders and can hold each rod, entire line up of otter, frabill, clam, eskimo all in one place (most stores only have a few of each brand) etc.

Hopefully with the new Fargo show as of last year that will help people who live in that direction.  If there is safe ice expect attendance to be slightly less, maybe not by much though?  I'll hopefully be on the ice, if no ice I'll maybe consider attending just to get amped up, not looking for a deal though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.