Author Topic: Nils mystery  (Read 1461 times)

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
Nils mystery
« on: Mar 10, 2016, 08:26 PM »

It was the perfect season to buy my nils auger.... About the only thing good about the weather is the hand auger was good for the whole year.

Anyways, the auger cut great all year and funny thing is the weekend of the derby it didn't want to cut and would just spin in the hole once it got past the point part???? Looked at blade it was like new, and no visable ice/ snow etc. stuck to the edge. Had to force it through hard the whole weekend.

Last 2 times I have used it since, it has cut fine just like new again.... Strange... Anyone ever experience this?

Jimmy
that is thinking with your dipstick......jimmy

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Nils mystery
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2016, 09:04 PM »
I did experience that once, last year or the year before.
Very frustrating and scary.

If I recall, it was really cold and think it had a very thin layer of clear ice "welded" to it.
I think I put the auger point on the sled pointing toward the sun? Regardless it resolved itself.
Sorry I can't be more specific but it was like a bad dream I tried to forget.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2016, 10:09 PM »
Happened to me end of last season...figured I did something wrong because some said you have to "baby" them to keep them sharp. I sent mine to the guy in Michigan and he sent it back and it cut beautifully again.
Maybe it was just the "conditions" that made it spin around and not cut...never know I guess.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2016, 05:24 AM »
I did experience that once, last year or the year before.
Very frustrating and scary.

If I recall, it was really cold and think it had a very thin layer of clear ice "welded" to it.
I think I put the auger point on the sled pointing toward the sun? Regardless it resolved itself.
Sorry I can't be more specific but it was like a bad dream I tried to forget.

Exactly what happened to mine one day and that thin layer of " welded " ice is exactly what the issue was
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2016, 05:30 AM »
I agree with the ice theory.

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2016, 05:33 AM »
Thanks guys... Sounds like that may have been the issue. I was kicking my own rear end trying to figure out how I might have damaged it, I had drilled 2 test holes on Ossipee the night before and it cut perfect. The next day on winni, is when it just stopped cutting. Made me nervous, because that is all we brought.

Of course, you know how it goes.... I was telling all my buddies how good that thing cuts and it made a donkey out of me that day.

Jimmy
that is thinking with your dipstick......jimmy

Offline Brookie442

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2016, 09:07 AM »
I have had the nils for a few years and have to baby them.  They cut amazingly well but if you drop it or bang the edge against something or even hit some sort or pebbles frozen in the ice It will dull and not cut.  I now keep a spare head just in case or for when one is sent out for sharpening. I wouldn't bother if not for how Damn fast they cut.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2016, 09:47 AM »
I agree with the ice theory.
I also agree Ive had it happen with my Nils and my finbore. It does make you nervous though. Choose wisely who sharpens it though. Thats all I can say openly.
Salmonemia

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2016, 07:31 AM »
I am not a fan of the Nils. Too delicate for this lummox.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2016, 08:03 AM »
Happened to me end of last season...figured I did something wrong because some said you have to "baby" them to keep them sharp. I sent mine to the guy in Michigan and he sent it back and it cut beautifully again.
Maybe it was just the "conditions" that made it spin around and not cut...never know I guess.
I need some blades sharpened. Who is the guy in Michigan? Thanks.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2016, 08:47 AM »
I need some blades sharpened. Who is the guy in Michigan? Thanks.

Frank DeLuca
5382 Jentoft Rd
Saginaw, MI 55779

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2016, 09:26 AM »
Frank DeLuca
5382 Jentoft Rd
Saginaw, MI 55779
x2 he is the man. He has a freezer he stores frozen buckets of water in he can test them anytime of the year. He does a very good job.
Salmonemia

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.