The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Cisco tips  (Read 1245 times)

Offline EsoxVenator

• IceShanty Rookie
Cisco tips
« on: Feb 11, 2018, 10:57 AM »
I have never caught one, but I would like to catch some tulibees. I hear they are one of the best big pike baits and very good smoked. From what I've read, you just have to search for them and jig with a spoon and or minnow to draw them and then get them to hit on a super tiny jig with a waxie or spike. I found a local lake with them according to the DNR. Any tips would be appreciated. 

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: Cisco tips
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2018, 11:52 AM »
Fished a lake near me that has them, and we caught them along with the gills, but not every time, they were good size, like pulling a rattlesnake up the hole, good fighters !!

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2018, 02:32 PM »
Have caught them up in the bay jigging but they were too big for Pike bait.  They are good smoked and I have heard canned but have not tried myself yet.

Offline tvlle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2018, 07:26 PM »
We has Cisco for supper tonight. We wrap them in tin foil with a large sweet onion, butter and some lemon juice. Seal the foil tight so the fish will steam while in the oven. Caught in Grand Traverse west bay jigging.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2018, 08:27 PM »
Ya catch em on minnows or on grubs like waxies or on Wiggler's .... Only ask because I'll be trying Thur morning
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline TCTUNA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2018, 09:13 PM »
hali jig ,gold swedish pimple small,but then again i caught one last fall on a magnum blue dolphin spoon ,ther really aggressive bite almost any thing ..good luck

Offline TheGeneral

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2018, 02:06 PM »
We've got Cisco's in our lake, but I've never fished them. The dnr planted them for years for the pike.

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2018, 02:19 PM »
Hey netminder. Have you ever seen those pictures of a 18" pike in the mouth of a 40" pike? just wondering how big are the cicso your cautching!! I think there is no such thing as to big for pike bait.
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2018, 02:42 PM »
No doubt jd I've lost a few respectable smallmouth on the au sable to pike who thought they deserved it more.... I think they just like anything in distress.... That's why when I rig up decoy suckers on a tipup I cut the tail fin off... They seem to struggle more and entice a instinct bite

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2018, 09:16 PM »
Hey netminder. Have you ever seen those pictures of a 18" pike in the mouth of a 40" pike? just wondering how big are the cicso your cautching!! I think there is no such thing as to big for pike bait.
5lbs ish,. I understand that bigger Pike will hit some big fish but don't have 40+ Pike or musky in any of my frequently fished lakes that I have seen will hit a fish as big as 20+in and 5+ lbs.  I use some pretty big sucker minnows and most of the time  they are untouched while the smaller grays are getting the action.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2018, 09:21 PM »
Agreed 5 lbs is too big.... Lol not saying he wouldn't get eaten but the likelihood is slim... I keep my biggest baits around 13-15 inches and then trim the fan off the tail

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2018, 08:01 AM »
5 lbs is kindda big. I watched a dino-pike follow my 12 perch almost right out of the hole a few weeks ago . amazing.
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.