New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: New York IS Gathering 2012!!!  (Read 21225 times)

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
Re: New York IS Gathering 2012!!!
« Reply #270 on: Feb 21, 2012, 02:41 AM »
Whaddya doing Sunday?
gona try to make it to schroon actually gonna try to camp out sat night IFi can get the guy to cover the trucks

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #271 on: Feb 21, 2012, 06:09 AM »
jsut so everyone knows, the sunoco station off exit 28 is out of bait. stopped in sunday morning on my way to putnam pond and he said they ran out saturday....however, he still has the signs up.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #272 on: Feb 21, 2012, 06:35 AM »
I'll be hitting Nemecs, it's close for me.
Not just a sponsor push, but it might be easiest for guys coming up from the south to hit 307 on the way up. It's a few minutes off exit 21.

I finally smartened up and looked at a lake map. The deep 100+fow is a little north of the boat launch. Would it be best to set us up in that direction? Looks like we could fish from 20-100+fow in a short distance. Pardon my ignorance. Never had much if a reason to drive past Lake George in the winter.  :P
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #273 on: Feb 21, 2012, 08:31 AM »
never fished at night nor camped on ice at night
do you guys sleep right on ice in shanties/cars?

i was on paradox this sunday but i got there a bit early, around 4am, and i walked a little bit on ice at pitch dark and it was a bit scary for me, maybe since i dont know the lake and ice.

Offline roundlakeNY

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #274 on: Feb 21, 2012, 09:28 AM »
I plan on heading up saturday after work.  Not sure what time i will arrive 330 or so.           I like the idea that there is a bar across the street to :)   Good place to get warmed up. 
[img width=106 height=80]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/roundlakeNY/is.png[/img

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #275 on: Feb 21, 2012, 09:59 AM »
2 bars.....flannigans, and the timberwolf...highly recommend flannigans wings and french fries

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #276 on: Feb 21, 2012, 12:49 PM »
2 bars.....flannigans, and the timberwolf...highly recommend flannigans wings and french fries
and burgers

Offline Santo180

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #277 on: Feb 21, 2012, 01:07 PM »
I was just up there on Sunday.  I fished of fowler rd.  North of the access there was open water, but there were people all over the lake with wheelers and sleds.  About 12-13 inches in all the holes I drilled.  Slow day for me and everyone around me.  Didn't mark anything all day.  First attempt at fishing it for me.  Not sure if I'll be able to make it up this weekend.  Depends if I can get my truck fixed this week.  I sure would like to give it another try.  I've never caught a salmon before and it seems like as good a place as any.

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #278 on: Feb 21, 2012, 01:13 PM »
imagine catching it saturday, curing it and then sunday morning, bagel with creamcheese and lox,  :)

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #279 on: Feb 21, 2012, 01:21 PM »
I did it with 2 kings I brought back from the Oswego river this summer. Oh man was that good! Crackers, cream cheese, and salmon nightly for weeks!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #280 on: Feb 21, 2012, 02:35 PM »
Alright guys.
We're getting down to the wire here. RoundlakeNY started rounding up definites via pm.
Definitely a good idea to get a head count. Hit me with a pm if you're definitely going to make it, if you could. Not like we're checking fo names on a list, but it would be good to know what we're looking at.

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #281 on: Feb 21, 2012, 03:52 PM »

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #282 on: Feb 21, 2012, 04:56 PM »
I'm still in it ... It's still only Tuesday and the warm stuff has not hit yet. Hopefully it will stay South. Guess I'm not gonna need 15 tipups til next year....
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #283 on: Feb 21, 2012, 05:25 PM »
URGENT INFORMATION REQUEST !!!!    Any of you local SchroonLake guys have a recommendation for lodging (Motel or Hotel) with reasonable rates in the Schroon Lake area ???  We want to come up on Friday and stay till Monday.

I'll "second" Russian Bear's request for info on staying out on theice at night (never done it).  What's required??  What gear is absolutely necessary???  We have a 4 man Ice Cube and small Buddy heater.  What else??

Offline Santo180

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #284 on: Feb 21, 2012, 05:30 PM »
What gear is absolutely necessary???  We have a 4 man Ice Cube and small Buddy heater.

Heavy sleeping bag obvioulsy, but a thermal pad is pretty important too.  Don't have any ideas about lodging.

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #285 on: Feb 21, 2012, 05:52 PM »
We stayed at the super 8 motel in LG...   Not fancy but cheep and only like 25mins away...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #286 on: Feb 21, 2012, 06:20 PM »
warm gear and a good flashlight. a lawnchair so sit back and sleep in and a heater. but to be honest not alot of sleeping happens. theres to much fishing and smelting to do at night! gotta get bait for everyone in the am!

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #287 on: Feb 21, 2012, 06:30 PM »
URGENT INFORMATION REQUEST !!!!    Any of you local SchroonLake guys have a recommendation for lodging (Motel or Hotel) with reasonable rates in the Schroon Lake area ???  We want to come up on Friday and stay till Monday.

I'll "second" Russian Bear's request for info on staying out on theice at night (never done it).  What's required??  What gear is absolutely necessary???  We have a 4 man Ice Cube and small Buddy heater.  What else??

I looked google maps, it shows motel right next to stewart's.
I dont even have a shanty, lol.
If i do go, thinking to just rough it out or sleep in car.
If there are some people on ice at night, i guess its not bad, wont be as lonely.
I got an ipad, watch some movie or aomething. Lol.

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #288 on: Feb 21, 2012, 06:44 PM »
Btw, forecast shows snow shower on fri and sat.

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #289 on: Feb 21, 2012, 07:05 PM »

No recommendations but this is what i found
http://www.adirondacks.worldweb.com/SchroonLakeNY/Lodging/HotelsMotels/

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #290 on: Feb 21, 2012, 07:11 PM »

A lantern and a decent headlamp are key.
I have a 4 man cube and a buddy heater that I've stayed out in before. Just be sure to stake all those hubs down good. Bought a fold up cot for $50 at Wally world tonight. It's going to make a world of difference if I try to actually catch some zzz's, but I don't see this thing lasting 10 trips.It's junk. I do have an extra 5x5 Clam portable I could bring if someone wants to use it for the day.

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #291 on: Feb 21, 2012, 07:23 PM »
Is there parking right next to ice or do you have to park somewhere else and than drag the sled aome number of blocks?

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #292 on: Feb 21, 2012, 08:40 PM »
Is there parking right next to ice or do you have to park somewhere else and than drag the sled aome number of blocks?

You will only be 30 or so yards from the ice...

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #293 on: Feb 21, 2012, 08:55 PM »
I'm new to this lake. What should I bring bait / tackle wise?

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #294 on: Feb 22, 2012, 06:38 AM »
I'm new to this lake. What should I bring bait / tackle wise?

For jigging use a big jig head with a 3 or 4 inch white tube on it...  Use big minnows (3 to 4") on your tip ups till you can jig up some smelt to use for bait...

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #295 on: Feb 22, 2012, 07:14 AM »
I don't know a darn thing about jigging smelt, so I know I'll be bugging Combsey and some of the guys to tell me what the heck I'm doing wrong the whole time. Hopefully there's a few guys out there that know what they're doing.:P If I can get to shallower water to fish for perch without abandoning the crew I may.
If you're looking for any jigs or tackle you can just raid Combsey's stuff.  ;)

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #296 on: Feb 22, 2012, 07:21 AM »
I don't know a darn thing about jigging smelt, so I know I'll be bugging Combsey and some of the guys to tell me what the heck I'm doing wrong the whole time. Hopefully there's a few guys out there that know what they're doing.:P If I can get to shallower water to fish for perch without abandoning the crew I may.

jigging for smelt is easy. small jigging pole with a hali-jig tipped with spikes works best.

New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #297 on: Feb 22, 2012, 09:09 AM »

we should get together a perch crew, lol
i have one tipup that i got this year to try but dont know jack about them, other than how to set it up,

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #298 on: Feb 22, 2012, 10:45 AM »
also try a long piece of red yarn with a weight on it for smelt. they get there teeth stuck in the yarn and you pull them in and shake over your pail.

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #299 on: Feb 22, 2012, 11:05 AM »
hey russian, go buy 4 more cheap ones...why would you only buy one? lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.