The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Seeking Green Bay Whitefish Guide recomendations  (Read 2386 times)

Offline chowder

• IceShanty Rookie
Seeking Green Bay Whitefish Guide recomendations
« on: Sep 30, 2019, 09:44 AM »
Planning to make a trip from Buffalo, NY out to Green Bay for Whitefish this winter. I have not targeted Whitefish before and I would like to get recommendations for a good guide and people's opinion on the time window that would be good. I have a lot of walleye and laker jigging experience. Thanks

Offline LENNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Seeking Green Bay Whitefish Guide recomendations
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2019, 11:40 AM »
Hello, I used http://www.whyknotguideservice.com/ a couple seasons ago, guide was good to talk with, very busy. Would recommend making sure the size of the shanty you will need. My group got split into two shanties, we had expected to be in one. We caught both whitefish and a Bourbot.

Good luck

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2019, 12:18 PM »
We did Capt. Bob Claus @ FinFanatic Charters a couple years ago. We went unguided with just a shack but he made sure we caught fish. Wound up away from the crowd fishing a little unconventionally. Just eyeballin' when we came off our catch was (size wise) bigger than most. Lotsa fun and a diligent guide.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline chowder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2019, 09:56 AM »
Thanks Gents. What's the best time period to shoot for?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2019, 10:46 AM »
We were there 2nd week in Feb two years ago. We went the year before with another guide and blanked, don't even remember who. That's how forgettable it was, kinda disappointing.

Lotsa fun when you're on 'em and always best cooked fresh, never frozen.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2019, 05:19 PM »
We were there 2nd week in Feb two years ago. We went the year before with another guide and blanked, don't even remember who. That's how forgettable it was, kinda disappointing.

Lotsa fun when you're on 'em and always best cooked fresh, never frozen.
best way to cook fish summer or winter. Put them on the heat while they are still quivering!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline LENNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2019, 11:40 AM »
We went beginning of Feb if I am remembering correctly, best times as far as i know would be mid Jan through mid Feb. Is best to call and see what times are available, some of these guys book up before ice is on the lake.

Good luck

Offline Duke M

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2019, 01:07 PM »
I have fished with JJ Malvitz Guide Service with great satisfaction. Quality transport equipment, shacks, rods and reels, and lures if needed, cooks lunch on the ice, and has excellent staff. Can't go wrong with JJ. Fishes out of Little Sturgeon Bay, WI.

Duke

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2019, 01:27 PM »
I would recommend booking your trip with a guide from the sturgeon Bay Area. It is so much more fun fighting whitefish in 40’-80’ of water as opposed to 4-20’ maybe that you will be likely fishing closer to greenbay

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2019, 12:07 PM »
I have fished with JJ Malvitz Guide Service with great satisfaction. Quality transport equipment, shacks, rods and reels, and lures if needed, cooks lunch on the ice, and has excellent staff. Can't go wrong with JJ. Fishes out of Little Sturgeon Bay, WI.

Duke

I recommend JJ as well

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2019, 06:27 PM »
I would recommend booking your trip with a guide from the sturgeon Bay Area. It is so much more fun fighting whitefish in 40’-80’ of water as opposed to 4-20’ maybe that you will be likely fishing closer to greenbay

That’s a good point that maybe the OP didn’t realize. Sturgeon bay is better then Green Bay for that reason. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.