Author Topic: "How To Hold Your Fish" Boat Show Seminars  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Aaron Wiebe

• IceShanty Rookie
  • walter
"How To Hold Your Fish" Boat Show Seminars
« on: Feb 27, 2013, 02:38 AM »
Partly because of the threads circulating on the web right now on the topic, I decided to change my seminar topic for the Mid Canada Boat Show this weekend to fish-handling/catch-and-release. I'm not the godfather on the topic but I do have alot of experience....which basically just means I have made more mistakes to learn from.

I will be speaking on the third floor on Friday at 2:30pm and Saturday at 2pm. Feel free to come down to the show any day and chat, I will be there all day, every day.

Ken Kansas will also be at one of the booths at the boat show, and is very approachable and knowledgeable on all conservation topics. His expertise stems from a personal passion for fish/fishing and an unbelievable amount of hours in the "field". As anglers, we are incredibly lucky to have him in an influential role in govmt fish work.

Offline hot shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: "How To Hold Your Fish" Boat Show Seminars
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2013, 05:41 AM »
I'm not the godfather on the topic but I do have alot of experience....which basically just means I have made more mistakes to learn from.

Until there is actual hard core scientific evidence / studies this will be debated and debated. As was stated in an earlier thread, experience does not mean a lot (please don't take it personal Aaron). I'm just saying experience in this area doesn't mean much as unless you observe the fish after release, who knows what happens to it or if damage occurred that will show up down the road.

There have been some pretty solid points made on the several threads here that could really support either side of this debate.

Even with scientific evidence / studies people will still have different opinions or simply won't care. Example there are many studies on smoking being bad for your health but still people do it and think it is okay, or they just don't care. There are many studies on the suns effects on your skin and related skin cancer but again look at all the people tanning, not wearing sunscreen etc.

I'm not saying if it is right, wrong or indifferent and I'm not going to say what method I believe in. I just wanted to make these points.

Aaron I will say one thing, I commend you for wanting to try and initiate a conversation on this topic (especially at the show where it is live and in real time) because discussion is always good however you may not want to open the floor to a question and answer or it might turn into a bunch of kids bickering and hard headed opinions and attitudes just like on this site ;) ;D ;)

Offline clawj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2013, 01:24 PM »
Biggest problem is a ton of magazines, tv shows, pictures or pros showing these guys that should lead by example holding the fish " wrong". 

Offline Aaron Wiebe

• IceShanty Rookie
  • walter
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2013, 06:11 AM »
hot shack,

Experience gives me more common sense and exposure to different people and situations on these topics. Nothing more.

I have not read all the threads...is the debate mainly on vertical holds or is there more?

There isn't much to say, as you mentioned. It isn't ideal, and should be avoided when possible...and that is the same for lifting a fish by the jaw or by the tail....there has never been any studies that lifting a fish up by a fin is bad for it (or lifting a cat by the tail), but common sense tells us that it is not a good practice and we should make every effort to support the weight of a fish.

If you put a picture on the Internet, you are opening yourself up to public scrutiny, and if someone thinks you are doing a "bad job" of holding a fish or your hair cut looks silly, you are going to hear about it. If you just want a pat on the back, save your fish pictures for a sunday afternoon visit to your grandparents house. What I don't understand is how the debate gets personal and slanderous - especially to a notable/valuable/respected/educated member of our fishing community.

Offline Mistabray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2013, 08:10 AM »

How to how your fish properly

End of debate.
Everybody has to believe in something.
      ... I believe I'll go fishing.

Offline throwbackjack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2013, 08:21 AM »
I never post my fish pictures on the internet. Once on there it is not just yours anymore. The only people who see my fish pictures are my friends. As to how to hold a fish, common sense goes a long way.

Offline fishin_guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2013, 12:03 PM »
Sorry if this is a dumb question as I only catch bass when I go east of Winnipeg.  Why is it that people lip a bass so there mouth is held wide open?  Does this not put a lot of strain on the jaw?  Sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

Offline hot shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2013, 08:42 PM »
hot shack,
Experience gives me more common sense and exposure to different people and situations on these topics. Nothing more.

What I don't understand is how the debate gets personal and slanderous - especially to a notable/valuable/respected/educated member of our fishing community.

I hear what you are saying, very good points. Good luck with the seminar, hope it goes well !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.