Author Topic: Underwater cameras  (Read 2784 times)

Offline Brandonh

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing is life
Underwater cameras
« on: Dec 07, 2017, 10:40 PM »
So I’m looking into getting an underwater camera and was looking for input from users that have them. Pros/cons what one I should look into. I’m so far looking at the marcum vs485c.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Underwater cameras
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2017, 02:31 PM »
I am assuming you already own a flasher?
If not then forget the camera and get a flasher first.
I have an older AquaView spool color camera.
It works fine but has short battery life.
I haven't even used it in a couple of years though.
But always take my flasher.
What are your goals with a camera?
That might help people help you.
Post up in the electronics forum and you'll likely get more answers.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2017, 02:35 PM »
The Micro units are great for scouting ...running and gunning ...the larger units are good for seating down with limited movement ..because they are bulky and cumbersome . Flasher before camera.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2017, 03:01 PM »
I have vexilar camera and flasher. I agree flasher over camera but camera s can be amazing to catch finicy fish. I use both......love seeing what species of fish is swimming around down there cameras dont work well on muddy lakes. If u can go to a store and compare the images. They all work well dont think you'll have a problem with any of the new cameras
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2017, 06:28 PM »
I have vexilar camera and flasher. I agree flasher over camera but camera s can be amazing to catch finicy fish. I use both......love seeing what species of fish is swimming around down there cameras dont work well on muddy lakes. If u can go to a store and compare the images. They all work well dont think you'll have a problem with any of the new cameras

This is very true ...learned my lesson with blue gills ...could get them to come in then hang up ...after placing the camera down I observed that my aggressive jigging would call them in and keep them there...but as soon as a slowed down or paused ...they would drift away ... noticed a lot of jig spin on my horizontal jigs...got some ball bearing swivels to combat that... on a large featureless flat I try and locate anything different...a taller weed ...rock etc ...and that's where I find the bite .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Brandonh

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing is life
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2017, 11:19 PM »
Thanks for the replies! I do own a marcum flasher I was primarily looking into getting one to look at structure and then to observe how the fish reacted with my presentation.  I have looked here in anchorage but I haven’t found a place that I can compare camera quality. 

Offline Forrealyo11

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got 'Em
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2017, 04:50 PM »
I've had a micro Aqua-Vu for a year now and I love it.  I love how portable it is, great battery life, and clarity is pretty good.  It's very helpful at night when fishing for Burbot.  I seriously think the fish are attracted to the blinking red light on the camera.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2017, 05:20 PM »
If you're looking to share your experiences with your buddies, I would recommend a camera with dvr. Great to rerun the action or lack of,over some brews with some friends. I have the Micro 5/ dvr. Batt life is shy of advertised when recording though, carry a small power bank for back up. Run mine to a 12 inch monitor when in a shack. The Mo Pod remote camera rotator is a must in my book.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2017, 07:46 PM »
I have an older Cabelas branded camera.
I've only used it a couple of times as I'm generally fishing in deeper water and they are a pain with a tone of cable out.
For AK fishing rainbows in shallower water I can see them being a big asset.

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2017, 02:02 AM »
Marcum cameras have been around for a while and are a great camera.  I use the camera in my hardside and run it of my flat screen tv and love it.   Watching fish come in on a 32" screen is as much for me is it is form my kids ;)  The only other cameras I have owned were cabelas and they all (3) leaked within the first year, so i upgraded to the Marcum.  They are good for shack fishing, but I don't bother with it outside the shack.
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.