Author Topic: What fan to blow heat down in the shanty?  (Read 5746 times)

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
What fan to blow heat down in the shanty?
« on: Jan 05, 2018, 07:49 PM »
I just got a new Shappell DX3000 (20+ year old S3000 finally died) and I want to put a fan in this one.  I have a Hunting Buddy heater, but the heat just rises.  I want a 12V or even USB 5V fan up on the roof bars, to blow the heat down to my toes and holes.   I looked at some tent fans, but they mostly seem like chinese craptastic junk.  I bought a little 4" USB clip fan from Amazon, but it's terrible.  You can't even feel a breeze at 12" away.   Has anyone found a good shanty fan?
- Joe

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: What fan to blow heat down in the shanty?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2018, 08:46 PM »
I found a solution.  A 15 year old 12V semi truck cab fan.  I used to use it for a grow room long ago.  I used to have it hooked to a 12V transformer.  I pulled the fan off the transformer, and it rocks on a little 12V 7AH battery like I use on my Garmin fish finder.  I added spade connections and it's great!  2 speeds, can turn oscillating on and off.  I can use a big carabiner clip thing to hook it to one of the shanty's top bars.  It's a little bit noisy even on low, but it blows a lot of air.  A little noise vs cold toes and frozen holes, I'll take a little noise.  I think I'm good for below zero comfy fishing now :)
- Joe

Offline zuren

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2018, 08:52 PM »
Do an internet search for "muffin fan":

https://www.google.com/search?q=muffin+fan&client=firefox-b-1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwijrfzUqMLYAhUKTCYKHQoeCh4Q_AUICygC&biw=1600&bih=767

These are the fans used to cool larger tower computers and other electronic equipment.  I built out my fullsize van as a campervan and needed to circulate air in a way that did not require a ton of power and were silent.  I bought 2 of the biggest, 3 speed, 12V muffin fans that I could buy (I think they are 6") and they do a good job of moving air even on the lowest setting.  I would think they may work for your situation as well.  You'll need to get creative with your wiring and mounting.

I will post the brand and model I have tomorrow.  They are in the van and I'm already in my PJs; no way I'm going out into -3 now.  :) 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2018, 09:18 PM »
was reading on here some people putting the pc cooling fan in pvc and have it suck (fan in the bottom of the pvc) hot air from the ceiling and blow it to where ever the bottom of the pvc is pointing.
a speed controller might be a good idea to control noise and energy.

you could use more than one.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2018, 09:30 PM »
I use one like this, just wedge the base between the fabric and top bar, seems to work good in my one man flip..

https://www.walmart.com/ip/50-5073-USB-Mini-Desk-Fan-4-2800r-minute-By-TruePower

Although I don't remember where mine came from..

<°)))>{

Offline firegems

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2018, 09:43 PM »
I took the fan out of my old computer before I sent it to the recycle bin....soldered a 9v adaptor on it....put a wire hook in one of the corner mounting screw holes to hang from my top bar.....just plug a 9v in when you want it to move air....cheap ....quiet....light....& takes up no room at all.
SO MANY FISH.........SO LITTLE TIME!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2018, 09:46 PM »
Although Santa just brought me this...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-GEN5X-18-Volt-Hybrid-Fan-Tool-Only-R860720B/205907844

Its pretty heavy, but ultra quiet for the amount of air..

<°)))>{

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2018, 10:12 PM »
 I'm the OP.  You guys are a great source of information!  I bought one turd fan, then have another maybe turd RV fan on its way, delivery tomorrow.  But tonight I rigged the Semi Truck Cab fan that I already had.  I'll try and post pics of what I'm going with for now.  Thank you much for all the great ideas though!   I really like this forum! 

My old Shappell S3000 with a Focus5 heater never kept the bottom of the shanty warm.  I'd be toasty, but my toes and holes were frosty after it hit 10F or so.  So with the new DX3000, and how much older I've gotten.  I decided I wanted a WARM shanty.  Top to bottom.  Your fan ideas are great!  TYVM!
- Joe

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2018, 10:18 PM »
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-GEN5X-18-Volt-Hybrid-Fan-Tool-Only-R860720B/205907844
<°)))>{

Wow!  I'm using an 18V Ridgid X5 brushless 720/fp of torque for an auger.  I've got 4 batteries.  I didn't know they made a fan for them!
- Joe

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2018, 11:22 PM »
Wow!  I'm using an 18V Ridgid X5 brushless 720/fp of torque for an auger.  I've got 4 batteries.  I didn't know they made a fan for them!
- Joe

Has a ton of hanging options, but weight alone, and more than necessary in a shanty.. Its built tougher than nails..

Funny I like it for work and sleep lol...

Weight isn't as much an issue for some.. But when you know you have 4 miles to walk before you'll see your truck again..

<°)))>{

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2018, 12:19 AM »
i have the shappell dx3000 and i take the ice hole shavings to the outside base area to where the hatches are and some to the side to continue that area. this blocks air and light and keeps the cold air from getting in thru them. works great!

try a square of foam like the anti fatigue mats harbor freight sells (4 for 10$) under you feet. it already has carpeted floors. these are much warmer on the feet than a flip or pop up shelter. you could spray under the carpet with a non-expanding foam. put some thing heavy on it so it can't lift and keep it in the grooves.

<°)))>{
been using this fan last year. does move a lot of air in a tight pattern. batteries last a long time. nice to sit outside and have it blow mosquitoes away. and on the job sites.
i don't need a fan on the ice. mr heaters put out plenty of heat and melt the ice as it is and keeps holes open.

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2018, 08:46 AM »
I made up two bracket arms and hinges to hold two computer muffin fans  on each side of my wood stove in my permy, but you could do something similar for a pop up.
they run on 12 volts and draw very little.

Offline Chadx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2018, 10:00 PM »
My wife and i use the simple little clam fan and light combo. 4 AA batteries. I use rechargeables. You don't need a big fan. It just barely needs to move the air; not make a breeze like when trying to cool you in hot weather. Clicking on that little tiny fan really helps equalize the temperature from high in the shanty to down where we are sitting.

Offline Chad613

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2018, 05:50 PM »
I have an Eskimo 9416i. I use a bilge blower motor connected to a bathroom fan vent tube that then connects to a 2" pvc tee(so the hot air doesn't blow directly on the ice). I have it running off a dc dial switch. The fan is rated at 130cfm

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:12 PM »
I have an Eskimo 9416i. I use a bilge blower motor connected to a bathroom fan vent tube that then connects to a 2" pvc tee(so the hot air doesn't blow directly on the ice). I have it running off a dc dial switch. The fan is rated at 1300cfm

Brilliant idea Chad !
another why didn't i think of that !

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:15 AM »
Ditto on the excellent idea Chad !

Offline Nezlugh

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline Beeler

« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2018, 04:50 PM »
This is what I use. The fan can be rotated to the ceiling, feet or all the way back and out of the way. It stay on the Buddy heater and is powered by the battery off the Marcum camera. 

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2018, 05:28 PM »
This is what I use. The fan can be rotated to the ceiling, feet or all the way back and out of the way. It stay on the Buddy heater and is powered by the battery off the Marcum camera. 

Nice!  and simple!
Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.