Author Topic: Clam blazer mods?  (Read 5283 times)

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
Clam blazer mods?
« on: Dec 27, 2017, 11:11 AM »
Just got my first one man flip, a clam blazer. Anyone have one? Done any mods yet?

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Clam blazer mods?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2017, 11:36 PM »
there is really not many mods you can do to the blazer since adding to much stuff would defeat the purpose of the Blazer. It was designed to be a light weight basic house. If I had one about the only thing I would add on to it would be a runner kit and light bar and battery bracket and travel cover. might be able to add a piece of 4 inch pvc pipe in one of the back corners so you can put a small buddy heater that runs off the 1lb tanks in it. other then this stuff I wouldn't add to much more to it.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2017, 11:38 PM »
What do you mean by adding the 4inch pic for the buddy?
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway."

Offline topwaterbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2017, 09:35 AM »
PVC Pipe so his little buddy heater does not move around in the sled.

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2017, 09:51 AM »
So you just drill an "L" pipe to the back corner of the shanty?

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2017, 09:58 AM »

Add/secure a 4 in diameter piece of PVC to tub ...plce the propane canister into that for heater stability on the lil Buddy

THESE ARE MOD FOR THE PORTABLE AND BIG BUDDY

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2017, 09:59 AM »
Thanks!

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2017, 10:04 AM »

this is a video for the lil buddy

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2017, 12:45 PM »
1. installed a 14x17 inch plastic cutting board under the bucket seat area (bridging and reinforcing the sled between the skis for a much sturdier seat). This was mounted using industrial double-face tape.

2. put a rubber trim around the bare metal bucket bracket to hold bucket more secure.

3. increased the size of the 2 cupholders on the bracket (to 4 inch diameter) and lined them with the same trim to hold the Little Buddy heater and extra propane cylinder. This hole can also hold a Thermos bottle (shown) or a 32 oz. Yeti bottle. Ideally, the hole should be directly above the 4" channel for the ski to hold hte bottom of he item in the hole above, but the position of the cup holders did not allow for this.

4. put UHMW sled runners under the molded skis.

5. velcro-ed an emergency ice pick to the cutting board base.

6. Pack my electric auger in the bucket mount for travel (photo was taken before expanding the cupholders). I also put a piece of loop velcro on the auger shaft and the hook velcro on the seat bracket to hold it in place.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2017, 12:34 AM »

this is what I did in my Kenai Pro Thermal Stealth this year. can do this in any of the houses you want to but I normally only do it with my one man houses.

Gunflint I like the mods you did on your Blazer. I should share with the R&D guys that mod you did where you increased the cup holders to a 4 inch diameter. It is better then having the cup holders in my opinion.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2017, 12:53 PM »
Monticatgeek,

It is more practical than the cup holders, and can actually hold a thermos, which is better than a cup.  It works great with the trim piece I got on Amazon from Trim-Lok.  I didn't like the bare metal edge, even if it was painted.

Here is the link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NL48CDO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is very inexpensive and adds no weight. The plastic cutting board made the entire seat assembly much more solid and also added very little weight.

Weight was important because I have to haul this over the portages in the BWCA. The Blazer is a perfect solution.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline BKToad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:22 PM »

I didn’t exactly “modify” the sled itself.  Just took out the metal bracket and replaced it with this storage box.  Was from a piece of equipment we bought at work.  Had no use for the tub.  And it happened to fit perfectly.  Kinda a mess in the pic.  Had to pack up and hightail out last time I was fishing to reduce spousal wrath for being late.  Fits all my rods, buddy heater, tipups, tackle, and plenty more room for anything smaller than an auger.

Plenty sturdy as a seat. And sits higher than a 7gal bucket.  Doubles as a workbench of sorts. 

Kinda makes it easier to load/unload from the truck too.  Just throw the box in the truck and lift a much lighter much less awkward sled in beside it. 

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2019, 06:03 PM »
Not so much a mod, more of a find... I noticed last year I was using one of the cup holders as a catch all for jigs, pliers, or whatever. This tray fits into a cup holder pretty well, should work great. $7 and some change shipped, ordered online thru Walmart... and you can still use it to hold a can/bottle if you really need two of them.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 30, 2019, 08:54 AM »

Catchin' Fish

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 30, 2019, 09:06 AM »
Not so much a mod, more of a find... I noticed last year I was using one of the cup holders as a catch all for jigs, pliers, or whatever. This tray fits into a cup holder pretty well, should work great. $7 and some change shipped, ordered online thru Walmart... and you can still use it to hold a can/bottle if you really need two of them.

I ordered one of these to try out with my blazer.  Thanks for posting!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 30, 2019, 09:47 AM »
Ditto - Great idea.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 01, 2019, 11:06 AM »
This tray fits into a cup holder pretty well, should work great.

I recieved the rubbermaid deluxe cup holder and must say it's a pretty sweet addition to this bare-bones shanty.  With the stock plastic holder removed, this snuggly fits flush with the metal bucket bracket. 
Thanks for the heads up jrjach75!  I might even get a 2nd one.   :afro:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.