Author Topic: Penn reel grease  (Read 1217 times)

Offline sodakdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
Penn reel grease
« on: Nov 20, 2017, 10:33 PM »
I penn reel grease ok for the temps out on the ice? or do I need to get something special?

Offline walleyerick

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Penn reel grease
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2017, 11:33 PM »
I just use WD-40 or Marvel Mystery oil -- very small amount-- I think Penn will get to stiff in the cold weather for you. I have heard other say a reel lube called Hot Sauce but I have never used it
"Sappers lead the way "

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2017, 10:27 AM »
No, a forum member (fishyhole) convinced me to use TSI 321 oil, and its done some wonders to my open water reels so far, i redid some of my reels for ice fishing already, haven't used them in negative temps outside yet, but i can tell you its night and day difference at my work bench. 

Offline sodakdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2017, 10:50 AM »
I've got good bearing oil (I believe it's a 321 oil) but I need a grease for the gears in my spinning reels (the oil doesn't last long there). I may just try to find some good cold temp moly grease or something.

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2017, 02:13 AM »
After servicing you’re reel, put it in the freezer for a few hours. That will tell you exactly how your reel will behave on the ice. I do it with all my reels but I use Quantum HotSauce. Works great.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline sodakdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2017, 12:18 PM »
After servicing you’re reel, put it in the freezer for a few hours. That will tell you exactly how your reel will behave on the ice. I do it with all my reels but I use Quantum HotSauce. Works great.

So simple, but perfect idea!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2017, 01:12 PM »
true.. the freezer method will tell you if your reels will get stiff in the cold.i do not use any grease in my cold weather reels.i take them apart when new and clean out all the grease and put a few drops of liberty synthetic  oil on parts that need it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.