Author Topic: Recipes  (Read 978 times)

Offline iceman1267

• Team IceShanty Regular
Recipes
« on: Dec 27, 2010, 11:31 PM »
Ok guys time to give up your favorite recipes. Catching them sometimes is easier than how your gonna cook them need some new ideas. Thanks in advance

Offline FrozenFinSeeker

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Recipes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2010, 01:15 AM »
Well depending on the species of course...

For larger trout/char, I gut and take off the heads then scale them. Once they are all cleaned up and patted dry I take a length of foil and fold it with another length enough so that I can wrap the fish completely in it. Then I take a stick of butter and rub it on the skin then take a lemon and quarter it. I take two quarters and wedge them into the body cavity, the other two I squeeze out over the fish. Occasionally I *Very* lightly coat the fish with lemon pepper seasoning. Then I wrap the whole thing up and seal it in the foil and put it on the grill on medium heat. Let it cook for a bit on both sides until I think it is done, remove and serve.

For salmon (the fresher the better --- freezer burn is no good) I filet them out then mix up a teriaki baste:
1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
4 Tbsp Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp Honey
2 tsp minced ginger*
2 Tbsp Onion powder
2 Tbsp Garlic powder
Simply mix all ingredients well  to create marinade.
*I use a whole ginger root. I skin it then put it in the food processor to mince it up well, then put the 2 tsp into the mix.
Then cut slits in the filets lengthwise, spread on the marinade, lightly cover with foil and bake until the meat is cooked and flaky.

For Pike: filet (being sure to remove Y-bones) then cut into 3 inch strips, roll in beaten eggs, then into dry fish fry batter and drop them into the oil (amazing how good this is!!!! :o)

Walleye (the few I have caught), basically the same as pike but we just crushed up corn chips really really fine (didnt have any cornmeal an the supermarket was closed) and put them in a frying pan instead of deep fryer.

Brook trout (my favorite): gut and de-head then rinse well. Chill in the fridge overnight then in the morning for breakfast take a plate and put some milk (2% or whole are best) in it and another plate and put italian seasoned bread crumbs in it. Take the trout and roll it in the milk to get a light coat of milk then immediately roll the fish in the bread crumbs and lay into a butter skillet over medium heat. Cook until the meat is easily flaked. Serve whole. Best breakfast you can have. Careful with the little ones eating though. When I was 5 I got a bone caught in my throat that my dad had get out with a spoon (not life threatening). My personal favorite part is picking up the fish by hand and gingerly pulling the meat off with my front teeth. Great memories!!!!

That is all I have for now. Will add more later if/when they come to me.

Flags up, Tips down!

Offline DoubleBurg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2010, 01:37 AM »
Got a good dipping sauce for some fried fish.  We usually just fry up the fish in pancake batter then we make this sauce (don't knock it till you try it)

Mix together:
Miracle whip (not mayo) and Ketchup in equal portions
Then add sugar so the mixture is fairly sweet but not over powering

Easy and cheap to make but makes a huge difference.  Add a beer or two and you got yourself a meal.  We used to fry up a bunch of fish and make this sauce in college and the girls were flocking to our dorm room  ;D ;D ;D
Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.  -Henry David Thoreau

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2010, 02:18 AM »
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.