Author Topic: LED Flood lights?  (Read 2541 times)

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
LED Flood lights?
« on: Sep 06, 2017, 07:11 AM »
I'm thinking of adding a couple LED Flood lights to the outside of the shanty for early/late walleye fishing.  We use tipups, and thought it would be nice to flick a switch, and turn on the outside lights for checking tipups, catching fish, picking up, etc.    I already have a 12v battery in the shanty for inside lighting, phone charger, radio.  Just looking to see if anyone else has recommendations on make/model, wattage. 

Thanks...

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: LED Flood lights?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2017, 10:58 AM »
I'm thinking of adding a couple LED Flood lights to the outside of the shanty for early/late walleye fishing.  We use tipups, and thought it would be nice to flick a switch, and turn on the outside lights for checking tipups, catching fish, picking up, etc.    I already have a 12v battery in the shanty for inside lighting, phone charger, radio.  Just looking to see if anyone else has recommendations on make/model, wattage. 

Thanks...

Thor94 - I would suggest you look at an LED light website (Superbrightleds.com) and search for a LED spotlight.  These types of sites will have data on them to suggest beam angle and wattage.  The smaller the beam angle, the more spot beam you will have.  A wider beam angle is more like a flood light.  You can see on the site the brightness that you would be looking for.  Not knowing how far you put your tipups from your shack, you should be able to get and idea of the wattage you will need.  After that, its searching on google to determine what you want to spend.  You can look at landscaping LED, floods or spots.  These types typically have some sort of swivel mount on them to aim. I like the idea you have there. 

If you are looking for an example - I would think you will be in 10-30 Watt range, and be able to throw the light about 50-75 ft.  Good luck!
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2017, 04:20 PM »
Check ebay look for led fog lights for cars I got a 50 inch on my van and a couple 18 watt in my shanty mounted low so they don't cast a  shadow when fishing crappie...   the 18 watts draws 1.5 amps at 12 volt or .75 amps at 24 volt  divide Wattage by volts to get amps old ohms law math..  then figure how big of battery you need  a 9 amp divided by 1.5 gives a battery that will last aprox 6 hours of continously lit light..  they do make bigger also look at the type of bulbs used in them..    I am useing cree 3 w leds there are 6 in my fog light  in my shanty for a total of 18 watts..  see if you can locate a 5W cree led fog light on ebay with good bulbs I think thrre are three type of led bulbs so pay attention to what you by .. for further light penitration.. also see if you can get a battery to run it so you don't have to drag a ton of weight cause of it.. ..

Also look for mail box reflective tape to use on the flag of tip ups ..it uses the same stuff stop signs are made of to glo when your head lights hit them.. they sell it at walmarts in the mail box ilse.. you maybe able to place the tip ups  200 feet or more  away hit the light to view them and see them with the tape..

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2017, 09:58 PM »
I have a pair of led fog lights mounted on the fromt of my sled for walking back to the truck or onto the ice in the dark. Theyd work decently well for lighting up tip ups too, just get the brightest you can for the $

Catchin' Fish

Offline T-Hawker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2017, 08:40 PM »
I built a wheeled shack last year.

I wired two 18W offroad lights (one off each side) and they work very well for tip-up fishing.

https://www.amazon.com/Lightfox-Waterproof-Driving-Offroad-Warranty/dp/B01EMSTORK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1506216810&sr=8-3&keywords=LED+cube+offroad+lights

I also wired a RV / camper "porch light" off the back - also worked very well and glad it did it.  I may add a "porch light" on the front to assist with hooking up the hitch during darkness.  While I still use a headlamp for setting up, I find the general lighting of the 18W is very nice.  The best use I found is using tip downs... I put white reflective tape on the rod tip and red reflective tape on the handle.  I can sit in the shack and watch the tip-downs at night.  I use BlueTipz on my tip-ups (and I actually have rigged them on the tip downs as well late last year).
Seasoned deer hunter, greenhorn fisherdude.

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2018, 07:06 AM »
Just a quick update.  Installed four 36W LED floodlights, one on each side of the shanty.  Ran the wires through a fuse-box and then to a four position rocker switch (with some USB charging ports).  First outing of the season was successful.  Lights worked well, and we were able to nail 11 walleye after dusk. 

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2018, 07:58 AM »
Cool addition!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2018, 10:20 AM »
Very nice!!  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor