New Hampshire > Ice Fishing New Hampshire

Thin Ice, Check as you go....

<< < (2/6) > >>

800stealth:
Nice vid, thanks for sharing.

IceDog88:
Nice video and I haven’t gone out once with checking the ice like you did. It is just too unpredictable this year to make a mistake. Good luck on your next adventure.

JIGGIN-:
Thanks for watching and your comments. I appreciate it.

I’ve seen some really (what I think) “weird ways” folks check the ice so that’s the reason for making this video. Might be a bit extreme but when you’re fishing alone early ice or unknown ice conditions it’s best to check each step. I keep my chisel sharpen and it’ll go through 3” of ice on a hard punch. Then I stay on the same path.

I’d rather get my hands wet than my entire body so feeling the ice thickness by hand from time to time gives me a better sense of actual thickness.

Had to rescue 3 people who fell through in my life of ice fishing who didn’t check the ice at all and didn’t heed to warnings. All of which could have been avoided. It’s not a good feeling.

I weren’t gonna post this video but based on the terrible ice conditions this season thought it might me a good idea only as a reminder.
Ice chisels are proactive and ice picks are reactive.

Be safe.

Roccus:

--- Quote from: JIGGIN- on Jan 23, 2023, 06:38 AM ---Thanks for watching and your comments. I appreciate it.

I’ve seen some really (what I think) “weird ways” folks check the ice so that’s the reason for making this video. Might be a bit extreme but when you’re fishing alone early ice or unknown ice conditions it’s best to check each step. I keep my chisel sharpen and it’ll go through 3” of ice on a hard punch. Then I stay on the same path.

I’d rather get my hands wet than my entire body so feeling the ice thickness by hand from time to time gives me a better sense of actual thickness.

Had to rescue 3 people who fell through in my life of ice fishing who didn’t check the ice at all and didn’t head to warnings. All of which could have been avoided. It’s not a good feeling.

I weren’t gonna post this video but based on the terrible ice conditions this season thought it might me a good idea only as a reminder.
Ice chisels are proactive and ice picks are reactive.

Be safe.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for posting this,it might be the differance weather some one goes home or becomes a statistic.

Like you, Ive been in on several rescues, once I used my spare tire as a float to help get some  one out, now early and late, I carry a throwable boat cushion with 50' of poly rope on it( I also keep a pair of screw in ice anchors in my box), hopefully,  the only thing I ever use it for is to kneel.

dbickom:
A good reminder for all of us.  Thank you!  I even catch myself sometimes using my Ice pick as a walking stick.  Stay safe...good luck out there!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version