Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Fishing Transportation

ATV advice

(1/3) > >>

jr50:
I am looking to get a 4 wheeler this fall and don’t really know much about them.  I will use it primarily for hunting and ice fishing.  Right now I have a flip over style ice house and a Jetsled to pull out if I take a hub style house.  What are things I should be looking for in a 4 wheeler, power steering, heated grips and other options that you find worth the money.  My plan for hunting is to use it to pull a flatbed trailer to set decoys, same trailer I haul it on.  I’m thinking the 500 size range is as small as I would go.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jr50

meandcuznalfy:
Slime the tires and carry a small tire pump, preferably foot operated and a plug kit, if you buy a belt driven make sure the clutches are in good working order and carry a extra belt.

SpitzoMT:
1. Winch - 2500# minimum
2. Tire plug kit
3. Hot hands/thumb
4. V-Bar chains

Handguards & a fairing/windshield will eliminate alot of the wind chill while driving. 4 out of the 5 atv's I've owned were belt driven & I never had a belt problem with any of them. Good idea to carry a spare belt tho. 500cc will more than likely get the job done, but I've always preferred the 700cc+ class for the extra oomph. Not even gonna mention any brand names because then this will turn into another Ford vs Ram vs GM thread. Good luck with your search & keep us posted !!

Skywagon:

--- Quote from: jr50 on May 05, 2022, 07:25 PM ---I am looking to get a 4 wheeler this fall and don’t really know much about them.  I will use it primarily for hunting and ice fishing.  Right now I have a flip over style ice house and a Jetsled to pull out if I take a hub style house.  What are things I should be looking for in a 4 wheeler, power steering, heated grips and other options that you find worth the money.  My plan for hunting is to use it to pull a flatbed trailer to set decoys, same trailer I haul it on.  I’m thinking the 500 size range is as small as I would go.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jr50

--- End quote ---

You may not get in the situations that I do in the bush, so take that into consideration, but if I ordered a new machine today this is what I would need to be completely satisfied:

Start out with a big frame machine, something with good clearance.
Tall tires with somewhat aggressive tread.
Power is not usually an issue for me, so whatever is standard with that model as long as it is a fuel injected engine.
Definitely power steering, once you have had it, you won't be without it.
Handwarmers.
Winches are one of the most important items to me, I have no use for wimpy winches.  I would buy a quality 4000# winch for the front and one for the back, you want rope, not cable. 
Pick a brand that will give you good dealer support and you will be set for years to come.

ice dawg:
I would look for locking differentials  so you have all four wheels driving you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version