New York > Ice Fishing New York

Anyone ever fish Mendon???

(1/4) > >>

labtech23:
Anyone ever icefish in Mendon Ponds Park? If so where? I have heard there are some underground springs that could weaken the ice in some spots. Also anyone know what species are in there. I have only caught largemouth. thanks.

adkRoy:
Where is Mendon Ponds Park?

IceReaver:
Mendon Ponds Park is located in Mendon, NY!! ;D

It's located between Pittsford and Honeoye Falls, approximately 10 minutes SSE from Eastview Mall (Victor).  I have never ice fished the ponds, but I have open water fished from shore and from a canoe (no motorized boats allowed).  It is/was the watershed for parts of Rochester (at least I've heard that an underground stream/river feeds Rochester) but it's been a while and I haven't kept up to date on all the information regarding Mendon.  It has no dikes, dams, or other water control devices, so the pond levels don't fluctuate.

The ponds contain a good quantity of "normal" pond species (i.e.-perch, sunfish, bluegill), but it's most known for large mouth bass and good sized northern pike.  I've never scored on a pike, but the bass are pretty easy to consistently catch (summer).  The park is free and definitely open during the winter time because you can walk the nature trails.  I vaguely recall seeing ice fishermen on the largest pond, but it was a long time ago and I'm not sure if my memory is correct.  I'm sure a simple visit/call into the office located in the park would provide all the information  you needed.

GAMBELL:
I tried fishing Mendon about 8 years ago.  The day we went, we got skunked.  I talked to an old timer that stated the icefishing can be ok to good at times.  He stated that the pike are a little on the small side.  I don't really know any good spots on the pond. 

dogfish:
I lived in Roch cha about 10 yrs ago for a while and icefished the big pond at mendon quite a bit.  It was good northern pike fishing and if the fish were on you would always put a few bucket mouthes on the ice.  Lots of panfish mostly sunnys but I never caught any big ones?????

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version