Author Topic: What depth to look for from beginning to end?  (Read 4328 times)

Offline calgary-john

• Team IceShanty Regular
What depth to look for from beginning to end?
« on: Oct 13, 2015, 09:04 PM »
When it is mid December and your on early ice, what depth are you looking for? 30' max and shallower if the lake is not that deep? If the lake has holes at 40' are you going there 1st ice?  Are you looking for sandy bottom for the whole year? If not what kind of bottom are you looking for and does that change as the season progresses ?

Thank you for your time

Offline calgary-john

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What depth to look for from beginning to end?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2015, 04:47 PM »
This is the Burbot forum :)

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2015, 01:17 PM »
In my experience and granted I've only caught 3 pout my entire life, was any kind of shelf coming from much deeper water into shallow. This was in February in Minnesota when they were spawning so its something to keep in mind. My best luck has been on Northland Rattle Spoons in glow green or white, in 1 oz size, lots of minnows on the hooks, and pounding the bottom then lifting just above for a pause.

Offline Hitten_em_on_drys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2015, 07:58 PM »
I'm going to be looking for deep water adjacent to sharp breaks and areas with rocky bottom. In the lake I fish I've found only s few places like this so I'm deeming it a key area and trying there first. The lake I am targeting them in is 30 feet deep max so my ranges are 15-30 that I am going to try. Also made some cool lures up to try. Took 2 Len Thompson spoons and put them on the same split rings so they clack together. It adds extra weight and should provide more of a thud on the bottom.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2015, 07:37 PM »
 midseason 40-50ft seems to be most consistent, but once they get close to spawn you'll find them way up shallow.  use something that glows and any kind of meat.

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2015, 10:34 AM »
the first of the winter we get them in 30 to 25 feet of water  later on get them from 30 to 10 feet of water
hook and cook

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.