Author Topic: Late ice opinion  (Read 712 times)

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Late ice opinion
« on: Jan 20, 2020, 10:12 AM »
When we do get on ice will you approach your lake like you would if ice came on in dec or would you fast forward to how the lake is toward the end of season(late ice)? My thinking is just because we couldn't stand over top of them doesn't mean they didn't make their normal transitions to certain areas. Shallow/deep/late bite/early bite/ no bite, even certain species lets say pike/perch.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
Re: Late ice opinion
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2020, 10:40 AM »
fish follow the same patterns whether they have a roof over their heads or not. just following daylight times and length of day i believe.
however...that said...
with late ice there isnt the oxygen depletion and weed loss from a heavy ice and snow coverage for a long time.  so the slow late ice bite  might not happen.  plenty of sun getting thru to keep some weeds green and oxygen good should have them happy.
maybe im just an optimist lol
i hope to find out tonight if im correct
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2020, 10:59 AM »
If your lake still has green weeds. There going to be fish in and around them.

The ice/snow cover is what causes fish to transition later in the year. Oxygen gets depleted and this causes bugs/bait to move and die off. Predator fish follow.

I treat any and all "first ice" the same. Doesnt matter if its november 17th, or janruary 11th, or february 3rd.
Got one goin'!

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2020, 11:23 AM »
Everything you guys are saying is true.  Weeds are green and we have been getting them  on wet flies or ice jigs in 2' of water or less.  Some days are better than others.  Not that I want the ice to go off but that's when we are doing the best when the skim of ice goes off.  Just like March when the ice goes off.  The best thing is they are fat and not skinny like March.

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2020, 11:24 AM »
Heading out this afternoon to check two small ponds that don't get any wind just to see what happened.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.